Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

emma1409

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
Hello

i recently had my laptop (holding my itunes library) stolen. Grrr. so i have since purchased some software called Senuti which enables me to replicate my ipod back onto my Mac laptop. The problem i have though, is i have over 8,000 songs on my ipod and my laptop doesn't seem to have nearly enough memory for me to copy back. i have deleted everything possible from the Mac to free up space, but there is not enough. Is there a way i can get my music back from my ipod, and be able to run i-tunes effectively again and keep updating my library with new music and pictures? I have an external hard drive, but i'm unsure how i could either use the hard-drive to facilitate the transfer, or do i need to copy what content i have managed to copy to itunes, to the hard drive, then delete from the laptop and copy the next batch? Help!! Sorry i am so clueless - i would have thought there might be a simple way?

Thank you! Emma

Angelo95210

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
Paris, France
Hi Emma

Is your new hard drive that smaller ?

My recommendation would be to use your external hard drive to store your iTunes library, as you probably don't need to carry it around (you have your ipod for this, don't you ?)

There are threads on this forum explaining how to move the iTunes media to an external hard drive.

Good luck with your new mac !

emma1409

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 26, 2010
ok great - thanks for your help - i will keep searching for those threads and make sure itunes is on external hard-drive. can i copy straight from my ipod to my itunes on the external drive though (effectively by-passing the need to store on my laptop at all)? thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.