Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

161210-iwork_9_0_4.jpg

Apple today released iWork 9.0.4, bringing a number of fixes to Apple's productivity suite but also deploying a new feature: the ability to export Pages documents in the ePub format for compatibility with the company's iBooks application for iOS.
Keynote 5.0.4
- Addresses an issue when printing handouts with rule lines.
- Fixes an issue with the slide switcher.
- Resolves an issue when automatically resizing some images while changing slide size.
- Fixes an issue with tables.

Pages 4.0.4
- Includes compatibility with the standard ePub file format (for use with iBooks) when exporting.

Numbers 2.0.4
Apple has also posted a support document offering advice on how to choose between ePub and PDF for a given document and outlining how to create an ePub file from a Pages document.

Article Link: Apple Brings ePub Export to Pages With iWork 9.0.4

Benjamins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Looks like Apple is taking ePub quite seriously.

Now they just need to add ePub viewing in Preview.app.

reaper

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2004
19th Hole
Publishing

Hmmm... this would make it even easier to "publish" a piece you are working on. Could be interesting.

Fantasy Guy

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2010
WHAT?! I've been hanging on for the new iWork every since I bought my iPad on the day of release.

I'm guessing this means no update anytime soon then.

bedakz

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I got this update, on mid 2010 macbook pro

Attachments

• update1.jpg
    update1.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 208

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
You got that right.

Looks like Apple is taking ePub quite seriously.

Now they just need to add ePub viewing in Preview.app.

Ideally it would work with the iTunes E-Book library as well as files located elsewhere.

I'm actually surprised that this sort of feature is being offered in a bug fix update. As you say an indication that Apple is serious about ePub. Maybe iWork 2010 really has been moved to 2011

In any event no update till tomorrow for me. I'm actually hoping that ePub performs better than PDF on iPhone.

Dave

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple offers an ePub Best Practices template (click to download) that gives you a head start making a Pages document suitable to save as an ePub file. Use it as your starting point or use its paragraph styles in other documents. The instructions are in the template.

wizard

macrumors 68040
May 29, 2003
Most likely not.

WHAT?! I've been hanging on for the new iWork every since I bought my iPad on the day of release.

I'm guessing this means no update anytime soon then.

Frankly I would prefer it to be that way. To be more specific I'd rather pay for a major update than to get what at times are trvial updates.

At least that is the theory. As the last Mac Pro update demonstrated sometimes Apple blows the concept out of the water.

In any event what I'm looking for is a vastly beefed up Numbers, more eBook tools and a database manager.

Actually i see potential for innovation with respect to databases within Numbers. If not that a front end to SQLite would do it. Obviously I'm not asking for a lot here database wise. Complex is already taken care of, I'm looking for simple.

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
This update is a nice step forward, but I doubt it's a magic pill when it comes to making ePub creation a pain-free process.

My company has transformed several of our print-edition graphic novels into ePubs for sale in the iBookstore, and it was a very time-consuming process involving several pieces of software (InDesign, Photoshop, Pages and Sigil). We certainly couldn't have done it using Pages exclusively.

jpine

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Apple offers an ePub Best Practices template (click to download) that gives you a head start making a Pages document suitable to save as an ePub file. Use it as your starting point or use its paragraph styles in other documents. The instructions are in the template.

Thanks, Q!!! BTW, does anyone have any thoughts of experience using a two column format for ebooks? The nice layout that Q shared is single column. I'm developing a professional (peer reviewed) journal for psychologists that will be online only. The readers can choose PDF or ebook for their iPad (perhaps Kindle too). We hope to be up and running by Q2 of next year.

TIA

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
So i guess we won't be seeing iWork '11 anytime soon?

My guess is that this update comes directly out of the work being done for iWork 11. In all likelihood we will not being seeing iWork 11 next Wednesday, but this update is something Apple wanted people to have now.

Thomas Harte

macrumors 6502
Nov 30, 2005
Hmmm. And I'm just about to receive my Kindle. Nice to see Apple investing in tools though — the cynical part of me makes me think they want to empower the consumer at least to the extent where they start asking why commercial publishing houses consider export to ePub to incur the same costs as printing and distribution.

nanoboy

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Table Issue!

I'm hopeful to see what this "Fix an issue with Tables" will bring, especially in Pages.

Prior to iWork 9.0.4, a single table cannot span over to the next page. A very critical annoyance, as a lot of forms (e.g. job application form, appraisal form etc.) in Word format are done using tables for you to fill in. This forces you to not use Pages at all when you're given such documents to write in.

Let's download and hope for the best!

aprilfools

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2004
Southern California
Nice update!

So i guess we won't be seeing iWork '11 anytime soon?

quite the contrary. Apple always releases "enhancements" to existing programs right before they come out with a new version of the software. what most don't realize is that by updating you are actually crippling your system so that you must update to the latest and greatest software. Its the Apple way. Our iwork works just fine the way it is now. update.. and for "some reason" you will need to update to the latest iwork coming soon. something in your computer wont be right unless you do. The apple way...

rumplestiltskin

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2006
Let's see how it handles endnotes and embedded multimedia. If it can do these things well, it will blow every other ePub-creation app out of the water.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
what most don't realize is that by updating you are actually crippling your system so that you must update to the latest and greatest software. Its the Apple way. Our iwork works just fine the way it is now. update.. and for "some reason" you will need to update to the latest iwork coming soon. something in your computer wont be right unless you do. The apple way...

do you have any examples for this conspiracy theory... because I have used old versions of numerous Apple programs with zero evidence of this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.