Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps

Old Aug 26, 2010, 05:09 PM   #1
TomyDingo
macrumors member

Is there a RELIABLE gmail push notification app?

All the different ones I've tried do not always work correctly. Some times they fail to push a notification that I have an e-mail. I don't mind paying for an app, but when I do, I would like to see updates and reliability. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Last edited by TomyDingo; Aug 26, 2010 at 06:30 PM.
TomyDingo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:25 PM   #2
bweberapps
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomyDingo View Post
All the different ones I've tried do not always work correctly. Some times they fail to push a notification that I have an e-mail. I don't mind paying for an app, but when I do, I would like to see updates and reliability. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
I've been using the built in mail app on iOS 4. There is a way to setup gmail for push in the exchange server setup when you add a new account. I haven't had any problems.

Check Here
Old Aug 26, 2010, 06:30 PM   #3
TomyDingo
macrumors member

Sorry for the confusion, I am talking about gmail push notifications. I currently use PushGmail but it lately hasn't been working and I can't get any response from the developer.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:47 PM   #4
djgulia
macrumors 6502

ignore. don't know how to delete posts
Old Aug 26, 2010, 08:48 PM   #5
Warbrain
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by djgulia View Post
bweberapps is correct. set up your gmail as an exchange account and emails will be pushed. no need to buy an app.
Exactly this.
Old Aug 26, 2010, 10:45 PM   #6
That70sGAdawg
macrumors 6502

Location: North Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
G Push works fine!
Old Aug 27, 2010, 04:05 AM   #7
Moe UK
macrumors regular

If you don't want to the exchange route, although it is the best way to get push gmail. Try the google app the last update added email and calendar push notifications.
Moe UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 07:46 AM   #8
TomyDingo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe UK View Post
If you don't want to the exchange route, although it is the best way to get push gmail. Try the google app the last update added email and calendar push notifications.
The google app doesn't do push notifications for e-mail. if the app is open and you receive an e-mail, it will only show a badge.

Boxcar has been working well for me. It did miss several notifications for a few hours yesterday.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 04:29 PM   #9
pamon
macrumors 6502

didn't google just update their app for push notifications?
pamon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:41 PM   #10
TomyDingo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamon View Post
didn't google just update their app for push notifications?
The google app doesn't do push notifications for e-mail. if the app is open and you receive an e-mail, it will only show a badge. I was originally talking about the push notifications that show up on your screen similar to the text messages do.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:15 PM   #11
Eminemdrdre00
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The google app doesn't do push notifications for e-mail. if the app is open and you receive an e-mail, it will only show a badge. I was originally talking about the push notifications that show up on your screen similar to the text messages do.
You can enable push gmail in the Apple Mail app, no need to buy anything else.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=138740
16GB iPad Air
Eminemdrdre00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:23 PM   #12
TomyDingo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eminemdrdre00 View Post
You can enable push gmail in the Apple Mail app, no need to buy anything else.

http://www.google.com/support/mobile...&answer=138740
Yes, I know. Again, I am talking about the pop up push notifications, not just push mail. NOTIFICATIONS.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 05:28 PM   #13
proplayer44
macrumors newbie

pushmail

I use push mail. It was $3.00 and works great. I have it for two email accounts, one being gmail. I get the screen pop notification immediately. You buy the app, then create a username with dopushmail.com then set a rule in gmail to forward messages to yourusername@dopushmail.com and your email is instantly on your phone with the pop up notification. Sometimes the text messages between my wife and I are delayed so now instead we just send each other emails because they are instant. I removed the mail app from the bottom 4 main icons on the phone and replaced it with the pushmail icon instead. It's all I use. Plus you have the option to change the background color send from certain people and other rule options. A big plus for me was the ability to auto delete all the email in the box instead of one at a time like the built in app.
proplayer44 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 07:59 PM   #14
philMBP
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes, I know. Again, I am talking about the pop up
What you wanted to specify is the Alerts component of Push Notification. Instead, you used the wrong terminology over and over again, thus not getting the answer you are looking for.
philMBP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:30 PM   #15
jplusc
macrumors 6502

I used GPush. It was always reliable for me. If you are jailbroken you could setup gmail as a push account and use notified pro with the notification plugins. I found that replaced Gpush for me. Running 4 push mail accounts chews through battery though.
jplusc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2010, 11:24 AM   #16
REDô
macrumors regular

I use Boxcar for that - you get a forwarding address which you set up in your Google Mail account (web interface). Works perfectly fine!
REDô is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > iPhone and iPod touch Apps