Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Hey everyone,

I've got another thread going here about issues I'm having running Dual Dell U2311Hs with my new Mac Pro, but I wanted to ask a more specific question pertaining to these particular monitors.

I had pretty much ruled out the Dell monitors as the source of the issue and decided that I might have a faulty graphics card, as both monitors seemed to work independently. Then I found this thread on the Dell support forums which seems to suggest that there may be issues with the displayport on the Dell U2711, which is obviously a very similar monitor.

I know there were several other Mac Pro users around here who have purchased the U2311H and U2711 monitors recently. Has anyone else had problems with the displayports on these models? Are you able to put the computer to sleep, then wake it (and the monitors) back up without any trouble? Are you running multiple monitors? How do you have your monitor(s) connected? Which graphics card do you have in your Mac Pro?

I know that's a lot of annoying questions, but I'm basically trying to decide if I need to call Apple tech support or Dell tech support to fix the issue.

sochet

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2006
Hey everyone,

I've got another thread going here about issues I'm having running Dual Dell U2311Hs with my new Mac Pro, but I wanted to ask a more specific question pertaining to these particular monitors.

I had pretty much ruled out the Dell monitors as the source of the issue and decided that I might have a faulty graphics card, as both monitors seemed to work independently. Then I found this thread on the Dell support forums which seems to suggest that there may be issues with the displayport on the Dell U2711, which is obviously a very similar monitor.

I know there were several other Mac Pro users around here who have purchased the U2311H and U2711 monitors recently. Has anyone else had problems with the displayports on these models? Are you able to put the computer to sleep, then wake it (and the monitors) back up without any trouble? Are you running multiple monitors? How do you have your monitor(s) connected? Which graphics card do you have in your Mac Pro?

I know that's a lot of annoying questions, but I'm basically trying to decide if I need to call Apple tech support or Dell tech support to fix the issue.

I don't have a Dell monitor, but I'm having a problem with the display stating back up from sleep with my new '10 MP (I had the same problems with my '08 and Apple replaced it)

So I think it could possibly be some sort of software error with 10.6.4 Gonna re-install Snow Leopard back to 6.3 and see what happens.

I'm looking for a new monitor anyway, are you happy with the Dell apart from the issues mentioned?

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I don't have a Dell monitor, but I'm having a problem with the display stating back up from sleep with my new '10 MP (I had the same problems with my '08 and Apple replaced it)

Are you also running from minidisplayport to displayport?

I'm looking for a new monitor anyway, are you happy with the Dell apart from the issues mentioned?

I do actually, although I've only used them a very brief period. The color seems to be a little bit richer on one of them, but I haven't tweaked the settings at all yet. I really like the functionality of the stand. I know that's a small thing, but it's great to be able to raise and lower the height and twist and turn it in all different directions. Definitely not something I'm used to on a monitor. I also know that the built in USB hub is going to come in handy.

My one small gripe at this point (besides the possible displayport issue) is that all the connection ports on the back of the monitor are sort of tucked under an edge and face down. Plugging stuff in is not as easy as it should be, and the instructions actually recommend that you lay the monitor flat to connect the power supply, etc. Kind of a pain.

For the price, though (I got both of mine for a little over $500 after taxes), I can't imagine doing much better.

Now if I could only figure out what's going on with the displayports.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I've found uses for the USB ports in my U2311H's already - they've taken over what my USB hubs were doing... which meant less clutter/cables and it freed up two power sockets since they were powered.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Are you also running from minidisplayport to displayport?

I do actually, although I've only used them a very brief period. The color seems to be a little bit richer on one of them, but I haven't tweaked the settings at all yet. I really like the functionality of the stand. I know that's a small thing, but it's great to be able to raise and lower the height and twist and turn it in all different directions. Definitely not something I'm used to on a monitor. I also know that the built in USB hub is going to come in handy.

My one small gripe at this point (besides the possible displayport issue) is that all the connection ports on the back of the monitor are sort of tucked under an edge and face down. Plugging stuff in is not as easy as it should be, and the instructions actually recommend that you lay the monitor flat to connect the power supply, etc. Kind of a pain.

For the price, though (I got both of mine for a little over $500 after taxes), I can't imagine doing much better.

Now if I could only figure out what's going on with the displayports.

After a lot of research, I decided on getting two Dell U2410's to flank my Apple 24" LED LCD (I got two Dell IPS panel displays with lots of connection options for $450 each compared to the $749 I paid for one Apple 24" LED). At first I was excited, however just two days later the following occurred:

1. I was unable to calibrate the two Dell's to not only match the Apple LED but to match each other. I used software/hardware calibration tools.

2. One of the Dell's had about 10-15 dead pixels

3. The Dell's had a much grainier display

4. The LED backlit display was brighter, the perfect blend of crisp and smooth, is calibrated to work perfectly out of the box with Apple systems and takes up less desk space

5. After more research I learned that the U2410's and U2311H's suffer from the same issues, especially the U2410. Issues such as banding, inconsistent panels that ranged from the left side being pink and the right side being green on some, dead pixels, over heating, etc. Search the Dell forums and there is a lot of chatter about these inconsistencies. Apparently the U2410's shipped with differing firmware, which Dell claims is the culprit. However, many stated the inconsistencies existed dependent of the firmware based on many individual experiences.

I'm very disappointed as I liked the features of the Dell and didn't need another display with another web cam and speakers, and only 3 USB ports. Yet as I need color accuracy, the Apple displays work best with Apple systems. :eek:

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I'm very disappointed as I liked the features of the Dell and didn't need another display with another web cam and speakers, and only 3 USB ports. Yet as I need color accuracy, the Apple displays work best with Apple systems. :eek:

I haven't noticed any of the problems you mentioned, but like I said, I haven't had enough time yet to mess around with the monitors. I did check for dead pixels and didn't find any. First things first, I need to get the displayport issue resolved.

I just can't justify the price of the Apple displays, especially considering the rampant yellow tint issues they've recently had with the iMacs. If I had that much money to throw down on monitors, I just would have gone with a pro-grade NEC model to get something that's hardware calibrated and is actually color-accurate. At any rate, this is a little tangential.

Anybody else have trouble with the U2311H or U2711? Anyone else have trouble with their Mac Pro minidisplayports?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I haven't noticed any of the problems you mentioned, but like I said, I haven't had enough time yet to mess around with the monitors. I did check for dead pixels and didn't find any. First things first, I need to get the displayport issue resolved.

I just can't justify the price of the Apple displays, especially considering the rampant yellow tint issues they've recently had with the iMacs. If I had that much money to throw down on monitors, I just would have gone with a pro-grade NEC model to get something that's hardware calibrated and is actually color-accurate. At any rate, this is a little tangential.

Anybody else have trouble with the U2311H or U2711? Anyone else have trouble with their Mac Pro minidisplayports?

Yeah, Apple panels are LG, and the same as Dell's. I wrote on another thread that I learned from reading SO many forums and reviews that Apple has contractual agreements with LG that allow them tighter selections of the panels, and Dell and other companies basically get what they get. I find that to be extremely odd.

Based on so many reviews, Apple displays have had the fewest issues. Dells have been notorious for banding and bleeding. Just google the Dell U2410, even the comments on CNET are pretty bad. I know a few of the early 24" iMac's had a slight yellow tint (most of the complaints were bs), yet Apple fixed the "issue" and everything worked out. I've had my 24" LED for about a year and so far so good. I'm praying that the two 24" LED's I just ordered from the Apple refub store will be in good condition (strongly knocking on wood). For $599 each, about $125 more than the Dell displays, it was worth the costs.

eponym

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
I have the U2311H (bought about 6 weeks ago).

One display, running Mini DP to DP from 5770 in the new 8-core Pro.

No sleep problems or anything.

BUT—I did have a problem with it and my MBP for the time prior to getting my Pro. It was the image corruption issue that was mentioned in the last graphics update (the one last week).

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I have the U2311H (bought about 6 weeks ago).

One display, running Mini DP to DP from 5770 in the new 8-core Pro.

No sleep problems or anything.

BUT—I did have a problem with it and my MBP for the time prior to getting my Pro. It was the image corruption issue that was mentioned in the last graphics update (the one last week).

Thanks for the feedback. I can't imagine that the Dell monitors would prefer one graphics card to another (slightly different) graphics card.

I'm planning to call Apple support tonight in hopes that they can help me out. I really hope I don't have to send it in. Worst case scenario, I hope they just send me a new graphics card to swap out.

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Yeah, Apple panels are LG, and the same as Dell's. I wrote on another thread that I learned from reading SO many forums and reviews that Apple has contractual agreements with LG that allow them tighter selections of the panels, and Dell and other companies basically get what they get. I find that to be extremely odd.

Based on so many reviews, Apple displays have had the fewest issues. Dells have been notorious for banding and bleeding. Just google the Dell U2410, even the comments on CNET are pretty bad. I know a few of the early 24" iMac's had a slight yellow tint (most of the complaints were bs), yet Apple fixed the "issue" and everything worked out. I've had my 24" LED for about a year and so far so good. I'm praying that the two 24" LED's I just ordered from the Apple refub store will be in good condition (strongly knocking on wood). For $599 each, about $125 more than the Dell displays, it was worth the costs.

I've read mixed reports on all of the monitors I looked at before purchasing the Dells. The U2311H, the U2711, the Apple 24" LED, and even the NEC EA231WM1 all seemed to have some bad mixed in with the good. In the end, Dell was able to cut me a good deal, so I pulled the trigger. I'll take a closer look at backlight bleed and color uniformity tonight and hope that I got a good pair.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I've read mixed reports on all of the monitors I looked at before purchasing the Dells. The U2311H, the U2711, the Apple 24" LED, and even the NEC EA231WM1 all seemed to have some bad mixed in with the good. In the end, Dell was able to cut me a good deal, so I pulled the trigger. I'll take a closer look at backlight bleed and color uniformity tonight and hope that I got a good pair.

Crossing my fingers for ya. Keep us posted. :)

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Crossing my fingers for ya. Keep us posted. :)

Thanks, buddy. Took a close look last night at both monitors. Definitely no dead pixels. A little backlight bleed in the bottom left corner of both monitors, but definitely not that bad at all. I can really only see it when the lights are off and there's a black background. The monitors might be a litte warmer in certain ares, but again, not too much of a nuisance. Neither problem is enough for me to want to send the monitors back.

As for the displayport issues, just got off the phone with Apple and they really have no idea what the problem might be. They had me send them some info about my system using Capture Data and they're going to pass it along to the engineers. I'll let you guys know what I hear back.

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
I'm sure nobody cares anymore, but whatever....

Spoke with Apple again today about my issues after the engineers had a chance to look things over. They think the adapters from Monoprice are the culprit. I'll have to get two of Apple's minidisplayport to DVI-D adapters to test this theory out. $29 each isn't too bad, but it's an extra expense that should have been avoidable. If it's a digital signal, I really don't see how the cables could cause such a problem.

Especially since I KNOW there are other people out there using the same minidisplayport to displayport adapters from Monoprice (and the Dell U2311H for that matter) without any trouble.

Oh well. We'll see tonight.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I still care!

Cause as far as I know, I still have the problem on cold-booting (dunno, haven't cold booted in a while and it's not like the problem will go away by itself).

And I'm using these cables.

Fiete5401

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
Germany
5. After more research I learned that the U2410's and U2311H's suffer from the same issues, especially the U2410. Issues such as banding, inconsistent panels that ranged from the left side being pink and the right side being green on some...

My sister bought a Dell u2311h and it came with a colour gradient from pink (left) to yellow/green (right). It was most noticeable when we choose a light grey background picture.
Dell exchanged the display the next day she called them and the new one is flawless.

benmcgruer

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Unfortantely I think I have the same issue as Vylen. I have a Dell u2711 hooked up with a mini displayport to displayport cable and a HDTV hooked up with a DVI to HDMI cable. The Mac's a 3.33 GHz hexacore with the 5870.

After going through every combination I have the cables to support, I've found that if the Dell is hooked up through displayport while the computer is switched off then I get no video through any output. If I start up with the displayport disconnected then connect it after startup there are no issues. And again if I reboot from a working setup there are no issues.

Also of note is that as soon as the display port is connected while the computer is switched off then a red diagnostic light comes on on the logic board, this goes off after startup.

I'm afraid I didn't try sleeping the computer so I can't comment on that.

Speaking to Apple they want to process it as a DOA and send a new one, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to fix the problem.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Unfortantely I think I have the same issue as Vylen. I have a Dell u2711 hooked up with a mini displayport to displayport cable and a HDTV hooked up with a DVI to HDMI cable. The Mac's a 3.33 GHz hexacore with the 5870.

After going through every combination I have the cables to support, I've found that if the Dell is hooked up through displayport while the computer is switched off then I get no video through any output. If I start up with the displayport disconnected then connect it after startup there are no issues. And again if I reboot from a working setup there are no issues.

Also of note is that as soon as the display port is connected while the computer is switched off then a red diagnostic light comes on on the logic board, this goes off after startup.

I'm afraid I didn't try sleeping the computer so I can't comment on that.

Speaking to Apple they want to process it as a DOA and send a new one, but I'm not holding my breath that it's going to fix the problem.

Yay! I'm not alone... although I'm not sure about the red diagnostic light - i did notice it come on after i had shut it off with the button when i wanted to reboot the machine with the MDP cables unplugged....

I'll have to be on the look out for that whenever I want to shut it down (properly).... which will be... who knows when heh.

Gh0stKiller

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2010
Surprise, surprise.

I tried Apple's minidisplayport to DVI-D adapters and they did not work in any configuration. Still could only get one monitor going at any time.

I guess that pretty much confirms that it has to be a faulty 5870. I'll be calling Apple on my lunch break. Hopefully, they'll just send me a new one.

serrada

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Surprise, surprise.

I tried Apple's minidisplayport to DVI-D adapters and they did not work in any configuration. Still could only get one monitor going at any time.

I guess that pretty much confirms that it has to be a faulty 5870. I'll be calling Apple on my lunch break. Hopefully, they'll just send me a new one.

I think I read somewhere that if you want to use both mdp ports, you need a dual-link adapter.

ETA: Nevermind, that was only if you are using two DVI connected displays.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.