Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
I was previously looking at the 20" iMac but now I'm thinking about getting the Dual 1.8 PM. Unfortunately anything near the caliber of the iMacs display will be pretty pricey, and I'll already be spending $2200 on the PM. So with that in mind, does anyone have a recommendation for a monitor in the $200 range? Maybe $300 if really necessary. I'm a serious amateur photographer, so it needs to be decent, but I know it's not going to compare to a Cinema Display or anything like that. Just something sharp, bright, and with as high of a resolution as possible.

What do you think?

-Mark

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
vtprinz said:
I was previously looking at the 20" iMac but now I'm thinking about getting the Dual 1.8 PM. Unfortunately anything near the caliber of the iMacs display will be pretty pricey, and I'll already be spending $2200 on the PM. So with that in mind, does anyone have a recommendation for a monitor in the $200 range? Maybe $300 if really necessary. I'm a serious amateur photographer, so it needs to be decent, but I know it's not going to compare to a Cinema Display or anything like that. Just something sharp, bright, and with as high of a resolution as possible.

What do you think?

-Mark

Get a CRT. You should get a good 19" crt for about $200-300. I've seen Viewsonics, NECs and Samsungs 19 inchers for about $250.
Lowend LCD displays are not very good, but you can get good 17" for a little over $300.

( The Dell FW2005 20 inch LCD is also a stunning value, but it unfortunately costs about $600, but its better than the iMacs builtin 20".)

Littleodie914

macrumors 68000
Jun 9, 2004
Rochester, NY
I'd probably aim for a 19" or 21" CRT monitor. They have pretty nice color representation, are usually quite bright, and have high refresh rates these days (though sometimes not at the higher resolutions), so they shouldn't be too bad to look at for a long period of time. The big thing (which it sounds like you're focusing on) is the low price of the CRT's. You could probably find a very nice one for $250 - $300. We got a 17" Magnavox CRT that's very nice and bright, 1280x960, and only $90 at Best Buy. Only increasing 4 inches shouldn't add a lot to the price. Good luck! ;)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
there have been positive comments about the Dell 2005FPW 20.1" wide screen LCD. It can be had with coupons for about $600.

I am waiting for mine to come in before Christmas.

I know it is higher than you were wanting, but the specs are great. For your price range a CRT is the way to go. I have used the Mitsu SB70 on my PB 12", and found it quite nice.

vtprinz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Thanks for the help guys. I was hoping that someone would know of a cheap but good quality LCD just to save the desk space, but maybe I was asking for too much :eek:

By the way, Chip NoVaMac, great icon :)

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
vtprinz said:
Thanks for the help guys. I was hoping that someone would know of a cheap but good quality LCD just to save the desk space, but maybe I was asking for too much :eek:

By the way, Chip NoVaMac, great icon :)

You might want to look at Dell. If you do the Dellfish contest from their site (it takes a few tries) you can get 25% off any of the LCD flat panel monitors. They are also offering 12 month interest free financing for 12 months on purchases over $300 I believe.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Chip NoVaMac said:
Ouch!

Unfortunately these coupons I found are for the US only.
Oh well, never mind. £616 is still a very good price for a screen of these specs in the UK...very tempted, I'd love dual 20" (20" iMac + 20" Dell) :D

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
edesignuk said:
Oh well, never mind. £616 is still a very good price for a screen of these specs in the UK...very tempted, I'd love dual 20" (20" iMac + 20" Dell) :D

Wow, the Apple 20" would be $1910US from the UK store! I can see how the Dell 2005FPW is a great deal even with the UK price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.