Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InfoTime

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 17, 2002
I started a thread titled: Suggestions for building a VMWare Fusion VM for Quicken. The first response was to "dump quicken".

I suppose that's a fair reply. But, I really want to discuss how to optimize a VM in that thread, not watch it turn into a debate over the merits of Quicken vs other approaches to personal finance tracking on the Mac. So, I started this thread :D

Here's the first reply I got on that thread. You can continue the discussion here.

Give up on the bloatware, and the constant stuff they install on your machine. Which, after you track it down and remove it, is reinstalled when the program defecates and support tells you to reinstall a couple three times a year.

Gave it up after 10 years and don't miss it a bit. I use Mint (although Intuit is bound to mess that up too) and bill pay from my bank.

bielen

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
New Jersey
Quicken 2010 with VMWare Fusion 3.0

I do exactly this and have for 2+ years. I currently run Quicken 2010 with VMWare Fusion on two-year old a 2.4ghz MacBook Pro. While I would love to switch to an online package such as Mint.com, I have 12 years worth of data in Quicken. Once I can accurately transfer all my data over to Mint or whatever Intuit develops, I will consider switching, but in the meantime, Quicken 2010 does work fine.

I save my data files outside of the the VMWare partition for easy backup to Time Capsule or an cloud based backup service such as Carbonite.

I wouldn't call Quicken a speed demon on a two year old MacBook Pro, but it is absolutely useable. I have 25+ accounts, pay bills, manage a stock portfolio and download transactions daily.

Hope the info helps.

I started a thread titled: Suggestions for building a VMWare Fusion VM for Quicken. The first response was to "dump quicken".

I suppose that's a fair reply. But, I really want to discuss how to optimize a VM in that thread, not watch it turn into a debate over the merits of Quicken vs other approaches to personal finance tracking on the Mac. So, I started this thread :D

Here's the first reply I got on that thread. You can continue the discussion here.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Running an app that you need/want in vmware makes a lot of sense. Given the huge difference between the feature rich quicken for windows vs. the POS that intuit produced for the mac, makes perfect sense.

I'm contemplating the same thing, I'm using iBank which is getting ready for a major update. Once that update hits the streets I'll decide if I want to stick with that or go with quicken within vmware

uniforms

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2008
South Orange NJ
I have Parallels Desktop installed in my machine and have been using quicken on that for the last two months. I LOVE IT! I can do my quicken work and then even print checks with no problems! I now feel comfortable dumping my stand alone windows machine. I prefer the windows version of Quicken. The mac package just didn't cut it. I back up to mobile me idisk. Hope this helps you out.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
I have Parallels Desktop installed in my machine and have been using quicken on that for the last two months. I LOVE IT! I can do my quicken work and then even print checks with no problems! I now feel comfortable dumping my stand alone windows machine. I prefer the windows version of Quicken. The mac package just didn't cut it. I back up to mobile me idisk. Hope this helps you out.

I've done the same thing. I went a few months with no Windows programs at all, but Quicken was the one I didn't want to lose. Seems a bit silly to have a virtual machine for one program. Oh, well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.