Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nein01

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Germany
I have a powermac g5 dual 2.0ghz and I recently got a new modem from Earthlink because my old one kept dying on me.

So, after getting it hooked up and connected to my router, which is set to only allow only 4 devices to have access to it (my comp, iphone, wii, and gf's laptop), i find that my gf's laptop (which is the only device using a corded connection) is the only machine able to get online without problems now.

I can pick up my WiFi network occasionally after a restart, but then it usually goes out after a random amount of time... anywhere between 10 minutes to an hour or 2.

when i try to reconnect in the network settings by typing the network name in manually, the connection attempt times out. also, occasionally my airport status icon will be full and showing that it is connected, but i can't get any pages to load.

i am assuming it has something to do with the new modem.. even though when i called earthlink they said it was my router, but i have not found much help with google yet. the modem is a scientific atlanta DPC2100R2

any help would be greatly appreciated!

kbfr08

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2007
Definitely not the modem. Most likely it's your router.

Get dd-wrt for your router, problem solved ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.