Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Dec 8, 2004, 01:14 AM   #1
Patriot787
macrumors newbie

Cool How to transfer files from old G3 to iMacG5

I have an old Power Mac G3 266 Mhz that, originally didn't have any USB ports. I upgraded the G3 to a 500 Mhz processor and added 2 USB ports. Note: there is no Fire Wire on this old G3. Now, I just bought an iMac G5 20". Here's the question: How do I transfer all my important files from the G3 to the iMac G5?? Do I have to buy an external hard drive that has SCSI connectivity, and then transfer the files from A to B to C? Or, is there any other way to do it? Please keep in mind, I am not a techie, so keep it simple!
Thanks!!
Patriot787 is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2004, 01:32 AM   #2
maya
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot787
I have an old Power Mac G3 266 Mhz that, originally didn't have any USB ports. I upgraded the G3 to a 500 Mhz processor and added 2 USB ports. Note: there is no Fire Wire on this old G3. Now, I just bought an iMac G5 20". Here's the question: How do I transfer all my important files from the G3 to the iMac G5?? Do I have to buy an external hard drive that has SCSI connectivity, and then transfer the files from A to B to C? Or, is there any other way to do it? Please keep in mind, I am not a techie, so keep it simple!
Thanks!!
All you need is the Firewire cables attached from the imac to your powerbook start up the powerbook in firewire mode hold command T and sync.

When you start up your iMac for the first time it should give you the option to do this.

:. it's here!!! .:
maya is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2004, 01:34 AM   #3
advres

Send a message via AIM to advres Send a message via Skype™ to advres
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot787
Thanks!!
Does your old G3 have a ethernet port? Why not network them together via an ethernet cable and just copy files over that way?
advres is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2004, 01:39 AM   #4
Blue Velvet
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by m a y a
All you need is the Firewire cables attached from the imac to your powerbook start up the powerbook in firewire mode hold command T and sync.

When you start up your iMac for the first time it should give you the option to do this.

FFS: Read the post.
No firewire...

You could try an A-A USB cable like this althought it might be really slow... haven't used one myself so no personal guarantee.

Or you could take the G3s IDE hard-drive out, put it into a firewire enclosure (case) and connect it that way.
Blue Velvet is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2004, 02:02 AM   #5
tdhurst
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to tdhurst Send a message via Yahoo to tdhurst Send a message via Skype™ to tdhurst
Ethernet port

Just buy an ethernet cable.
Network the two together.
Drag and drop.
Done.
tdhurst is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2004, 02:13 AM   #6
Windowlicker
macrumors 6502a

Yes, definitely go with Ethernet. Just turn on file sharing on the iMac and connect the G3 to it --> drag and drop.

If this gets too complicated, you can always get a firewire PCI-card for your G3 and start up the iMac in target disc mode (by pressing T on startup) and it will mount the iMac's HD on your G3 --> drag and drop.

You should be fine with the first option though.
Old Dec 8, 2004, 05:04 AM   #7
Jo-Kun
macrumors 6502a

try ethernet, but be sure to get a crosslink cable, MacOSX says it doesn't need crossed anymore, but I had some trouble with that so to be on the safe side I think your ethernet on the G3 is still10Mbps so it will be as fast (or slow) as USB I guess...

or get an enclosure for the drive, but I do remember the G3 cases to be somewhat annoying to open and remove a drive...

or third option: do you know anyone who has a USB1.1/2 external drive?
just use that one for the transfer, so youdon't need to buy anything (exept some beers as thank you )

PS: your iMac has no SCSI so buying a SCSI drive would be a waste of money...
Old Dec 8, 2004, 06:29 AM   #8
AmigoMac
macrumors 68020

You could get an USB floppy reader and transfer your files via floppy disks...
J/K

Ethernet is the solution.

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers