Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iv909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Hi I was wondering if you know how to fix this problem of mine. I jailbroke my iphone with jailbreakme.com and it went smoothly. Then I tried to unlock it through cydia using blackra1n's blacksnow. It completely froze my phone with the apple logo. It is the iphone 3G with 3.1.3 OS and 5.12.1 baseband. I tried to do a hard reset and restore the phone to its factory setting but i keep on coming across the itunes error 9. But then I was able to restore it once with a custom firmware. Then I jailbroke it and unlocked it successfully with spirit and redsnow. But when I tried synching it with itunes it got the same error again and put me back in the recovery loop. I tried to use the custom firmware again, but it doesn't go through. I've tried it with different cables, hubs, and computers (I used windows but the same thing occurs on a MAC). You should also know that I've never synced/backed up the phone because I just got it from my friend before I left the country. And there are no apple stores where I'm at. I tried to restore in recovery mode and DFU mode and the same error 9 pops up. Please help me out cuz I need this phone while im stuck in this 3rd world country. Thanks.

Feb 15, 2009
Boston, MA
From Apple.com:

Error 9: This error occurs when the device unexpectedly drops off of the USB bus and communication stops. This can occur if the device is manually disconnected during the restore process. This issue can be resolved by performing USB isolation troubleshooting, using a different USB dock connector cable, trying another USB port, restoring on another computer, or by eliminating conflicts from third-party security software.

iv909

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 28, 2010
Yea... I've read what error 9 is. Tried different hubs, different cables, and different computers (4 computers - 2 macs/2PCs).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.