Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SCSnare

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Austin, TX
A couple of friends and I are moving into a new office on Monday and when we got the cable internet setup, we decided to get 5 Static IPs from our ISP.

Before the move, we were all using wifi from one of the other guy's Airport Extreme. Our new office doesn't have any ethernet outlets installed, so the internet is coming through a cable outlet and connected to the router the ISP provided us. Our plan is to just hook up the Airport Extreme to the router and use the wifi from that. I've read up on how to get the Airport Extreme to just pass along the Static IPs to the computers we assign them to, but I was curious as to whether or not the Airport Extreme can still distribute Dynamic IPs to other devices.

The reason I'm asking is because there are 4 people in the office, but we also occasionally use our laptops and have visitors come over that might need to use wifi. So my plan was to assign the Airport Extreme one of the Static IPs, and then pass along the other 4 Static IPs to each of our desktops, and (this is where I'm uncertain if it works like this) let the Airport Extreme assign Dynamic IPs to any other devices that might want to connect to the network.

Anyone have any experience with a situation like this? Will it work like I have described above, or do I have to choose between Static IPs only or Dynamic IPs only?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
Every router I have set up, from the $40 linksys to the $180 can handle static and dynamic configurations simultaneously.

Although if I was setting up a wifi network I would also set access by MAC address.

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
Every router I have set up, from the $40 linksys to the $180 can handle static and dynamic configurations simultaneously.

Although if I was setting up a wifi network I would also set access by MAC address.

so you must be the one that made everyones iPod touches stop working at my high school.
hmm...

SCSnare

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2008
Austin, TX

I know how to set static IPs that are created by the router along with allowing dynamic IPs created by the router (ex. 192.168.1.101, 192.168.1.102, etc.), but I've never had experience with Static IPs assigned by the ISP (72.177.1.174, 72.177.1.175, etc.) along with Dynamic IPs (192.168.1.101, etc.) created by the router.

Is it as simple as just typing in the Static IPs from our ISP and assigning it to the individual MAC addresses of our desktops, and then the Airport Extreme will automatically assign its own generated IPs to other devices?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.