Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SaMaster14

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 23, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Well, since the iPad homescreen can turn any which way and still be right side up, when the ipod touch comes out with facetime (rumor) and facetime begins to work via email address instead of phone number, could a camera be released to plug into the dock connector on the bottom of the iPad and act as a webcam for facetime and Skype/iChat video chatting??

The idea seems very possible, especially since the software is already there. And the camera connection kit is already out as a connection via the dock connector.

Comments please.

Posted from my ipad.

tallyho

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2004
UK
It's a possibility--I could imagine a unit the same size as one of the camera connection kit pieces with a tiny webcam on it, and this would be another way for Apple to push the Facetime standard and get those 10 million devices out there this year.

However, it might be a bit lacking in elegance, so I could equally imagine them not releasing such an accessory. In terms of receiving a Facetime call for instance, you would presumably have to have the accessory in the dock connector first. It could be that next year there'll be a front-facing camera in the second version of the iPad and Facetime will be pushed as a new feature to get people to upgrade from a first gen iPad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.