Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Priced at $5.99, anyone try it? I think it's a good idea surprised apple doesn't implement that natively because they turn wifi off when the phone is locked

AE

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Really depends how long it takes it to kick back into 3G mode. If you do it through your settings, it takes too long to have it doing it all the time.

aelalfy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Berlin, Germany
Describe what it does.

Come on man, the time it took you to make that comment, you could have went into cydia, typed "Auto3G" and read about it.

Really depends how long it takes it to kick back into 3G mode. If you do it through your settings, it takes too long to have it doing it all the time.

Yea very good time, I don't see myself shedding 5.99 for it tho. See I always pay for my apps, regardless AppStore or cydia but especially cydia since I really like apps that are helpful to the general but apple won't accept them because of whatever reason. I want to try this but not paying 5.99 and will not give in to cracking apps.

Thanks
AE

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
aelalfy said:
Priced at $5.99, anyone try it? I think it's a good idea surprised apple doesn't implement that natively because they turn wifi off when the phone is locked

AE

According to Cydia, it was available at 5:56 pm Eastern today. How could anyone have tried it and formed an opinion?

Also announced was Synchronicity, which I bet sells 2 copies, his mom and dad.

weemanpow3

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2008
This tweak looks nice but it needs a way to add apps to a list that will not allow Auto3G to switch to edge if they are running in the background, like streaming apps, tether, etc... switching to 3G to EDGE can cause some 3-15 sec downtime maybe longer.

I wonder how phone calls work. Say if your friend asked you too look something up on the internet and Auto3G switch from EDGE to 3G because you are out of the lock screen, would it cut the call?

Krafty

macrumors 601
Dec 31, 2007
La La Land
Describe what it does.
Auto3G extends your battery life by automatically turning off the 3G radio (leaving on the 2G radio) when you lock your iPhone and automatically turning on the 3G radio when you unlock your iPhone. This way you always have the speed of 3G when you need it without the battery loss.
As explained by Apple, this results in up to 50% greater battery life: "7 hours of talk time on 3G, 14 hours of talk time on 2G." (apple.com/batteries/iphone.html)
Use the Auto3G icon to change settings

Not something I need. I just turn it off via SBS when traveling since I know I wont be getting it anywhere on the roads. So far even with it on, my battery life has been fine.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
Thanks, Krafty. Based on what it does, $5.99 is a rip off. .99 cent sounds about right, maybe even $1.99.

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
OK OP, a new thread (separate) on both of tonight's new hacks.
Is this the start of a trend ?

Just a read of the description would tell the average user that neither hack fits the mainstream jailbreaking community's real needs.

Seems the responses in both threads confirm.

Shaddow825

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2006
Not a bad idea, but worth about 99 cents. He'd prob sell a bunch to 3g and 3gs users, not as many ip4 users are concerned about battery life.

Dizle

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2008
The Beach
I would be willing to shell out the six bucks if I could try it first and know that it worked well with phone calls, didn't lag etc.

LiveFreeDie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
I'll "test" it out first, if I decide its worth it I will pay the $5.99. If I don't like it or not worth it to me I will uninstall it.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Dev should offer a trial I want to see proof that I'll get 100% better battery life then it might be worth $6 bucks, but yes could pretty easily do the same thing though SBSettings . just turn off 3G before being done turn on 3G after unlocking.

LiveFreeDie

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
The comment on that youtube video is actually a very good question

"let say, my phone is locked (screen off), this app turns off my 3G. then i get a call(screen on), will the call cut off when this app reactivated 3g?"

Can anyone try this out? and report back?

gravytrain84

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
LA
The comment on that youtube video is actually a very good question

"let say, my phone is locked (screen off), this app turns off my 3G. then i get a call(screen on), will the call cut off when this app reactivated 3g?"

Can anyone try this out? and report back?

I dont see why it would... If i drive into a 3G zone from Edge, my calls are not disconnected... This app works really well so far, jumps back into 3G within ab 2 secs.

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I dont see why it would... If i drive into a 3G zone from Edge, my calls are not disconnected... This app works really well so far, jumps back into 3G within ab 2 secs.

The primary purpose of this app is to extend battery life. Does it?

iHOS

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
Cairo
The app switch to 3G within 2 sec.
No disconnect occur as long as u got officially unlocked device!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.