Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookowns125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Question about broken screen on iPhone4: Log story short, I had my iPhone 4 on my car and drove off. Then i realized I did that once I got home and I drove back and found it face up. The front perfectly fine, but the back was thrashed. Cracked and shattered. It still makes calls and receives texts and calls. Also still takes pictures and video. So how do i get the back fixed? Through Apple or somewhere else??

May 8, 2008
I'd take it to an Apple store and explain to them what happened. Who knows, maybe they'll fix it for free.

May 8, 2008
Take a look at this thread, might provide some answers.

EDIT:

Seems as if the OP in that thread called Apple and politely explained the situation and they did a one time replacement for him. In other words: Free.

Call Apple or make a Genius appointment. Can't hurt anything at this point.

freeringtones

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2010
I paid like $150 to get mine fixed

Take a look at this thread, might provide some answers.

EDIT:

Seems as if the OP in that thread called Apple and politely explained the situation and they did a one time replacement for him. In other words: Free.

Call Apple or make a Genius appointment. Can't hurt anything at this point.

May 8, 2008
I paid like $150 to get mine fixed

I suppose it just depends on the mood the Genius/ phone representative is in that day.

My brother dropped his 3GS in December when he was getting out the car and shattered the screen. I made him an appointment at the South Park Apple store and we went in, explained exactly what happened and the Genius looked at and said he'd authorize a one time repair free of charge. Ten minutes later they had replaced the glass and it was as good as new. Just had to sign some paperwork.

It pays to be nice and not jerk them around like some people do.

elvakan

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2009
Make a GB app. and if the only thing that needs to be replace is the back face, it is only 29.99 to replace. Just changed.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
Take it to an Apple Store. With any luck, you'll get someone who's been in your situation and will replace it for free. If not, try going to someone else there on another day. If you've tried many people, and the answer is still no, take it to another Apple Store if there's one near you. I've heard stories of people who politely and calmly explain how they shattered their phone, and were given free replacements. The same could happen to you.

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
You could always buy a slick aluminum back. This fixes the problem and probably won't shatter after.

iPunish901

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
Memphis, TN
EXACT same situation happened to me over the weekend, except mine got ran over so it is shattered both ways :(

highly doubt apple would be nice enough to replace THAT....

macbookowns125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010

Attachments

• Photo on 2010-08-29 at 15.50 #2.jpg
    Photo on 2010-08-29 at 15.50 #2.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 224

RjaylinS06

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Here s what u do! Go on eBay and buy a replacement OEM back!! All they do to fix is unscrew the 2 screws at the bottom and take the back off. Black replacement are running for like $60-$80. Only thing it won't have is the flash defusser which makes no difference in picture quality when using the flash in my opinion!!

I have an all hite iphone now so I know how easy it is to replace the back and also know how well the picture still look without the flash defusser. It's either my way or almost $200 for something so easy to do yourself!!

calvy

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2007
My back shattered, I went to the apple store with no genius appointment and pleaded with one of the sales guy for help. He politely told me it would be 199 dollars for an out of warranty replacement. I told him how disappointed I was that this happened, because my fall was a not a particularly drastic one, and it was wearing the stupid bumper at the time. He took it in back for about 5 minutes, then came back and said "I'm going to go ahead and do an out of warranty replacement for you but waive the 199 fee". I jumped for joy and signed all the papers and went home, and bought a real case.

So, first I'd ask apple nicely. You may or may not get lucky and get a free replacement. Failing that, you have two options, buy a new backplate and replace it yourself for 149 plus shipping. Or pay apple 199 for an out of warranty replacement in store.

macbookowns125

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
those are all good ideas. but if i go to an apple store do i go the the genius bar or to any worker? i happen to know one worker at one apple store

jazzguitar

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2008
Go to an Apple store, if you only need the back glass it will be $29. It's a new policy, trust me on this one.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
getting it replaced for less than $199 is a RARE exception

not the gold standard

go in be nice and ask for sympathy

but don't come back here and complain if you end up having to pay $199 to get it fixed, there are hundred of people that gladly paid that to have their phone replaced

Amino Man

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
getting it replaced for less than $199 is a RARE exception

not the gold standard

go in be nice and ask for sympathy

but don't come back here and complain if you end up having to pay $199 to get it fixed, there are hundred of people that gladly paid that to have their phone replaced

I like your user name... just sayin'

Andrew Lowe

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Real case cover out there?

I dropped my iPhone on my driveway and it survived without much scarring.
friend of mind is ordering a case for me as I can't take replacing it. Never heard of this company before but apparently they make batteries for iPhones, etc.
NewTrent.com? Has anyone used their products before?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.