Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
So I buy a MacBook Pro 13 (super local deal) and my second post here is how to sell it! :D (I'm thinking about selling or returing it and getting the 15.)

I have not done anything but the usuall new computer stuff that you walk through up when you turn it on for the first time and downloading Open Office to try it out.

What is the best way to clear any data and reset it to factory spec so I don't leave any information?

TIA
DLM

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Wow, that was fast! I'm still trying to figgure this "finder" thing out. ;)

If you meant Finder, like in the following image examples

512%20Finder%20Leopard.png

os-x-finder-icon-view.png

then also have a look at the following links (if you haven't already), as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics
Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3

Salacion

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
Well, I might as well say it.

Just pop the Disc in that came with the computer, go through the process with a custom install, and select wipe hard drive clean. You can select the generic option, which takes seconds, or choose a more advanced option that gives you storage security (wiping your info away without it being recovered). I'd do the next one up, which takes a few hours.

Once the software installs, and you're greeted by the Hello animation, shut the Mac off by holding down the power button. Next time you turn it on, it'll boot back up into the Hello animation.

dmunz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
If you meant Finder, like in the following image examples

<snip>

Actually I was making a lame "I was too stoopid to search" excuse/joke. (Finder = Search...)

I'll get better, I promis.

Salacion, thanks for the quicknotes version.

Cheers,
DLM

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.