Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:05 PM   #1
LisaMaree
macrumors member

What happens if I jailbreak and then hit "Update" button in iTunes?

Sorry if I missed it but I searched but couldn't find a specific answer. If I jailbreak my iPhone 4 that's on version 4.0 right now (like at jailbreakme.com), what happens if I connect it to my computer and hit the update button in iTunes to update to 4.0.2? Will the phone update to 4.0.2 without problems? I assume what should happen is it should simply update from a jailbroken 4.0 to a non-jailbroken 4.0.2 -- is this right or will something go wrong and I should do a restore instead? I would rather not restore because this would mean starting from scratch in installing apps, etc.
LisaMaree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:09 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Yes, it will just update to official firmware and u will lose the jb.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMaree View Post
Sorry if I missed it but I searched but couldn't find a specific answer. If I jailbreak my iPhone 4 that's on version 4.0 right now (like at jailbreakme.com), what happens if I connect it to my computer and hit the update button in iTunes to update to 4.0.2? Will the phone update to 4.0.2 without problems? I assume what should happen is it should simply update from a jailbroken 4.0 to a non-jailbroken 4.0.2 -- is this right or will something go wrong and I should do a restore instead? I would rather not restore because this would mean starting from scratch in installing apps, etc.
Well, it updates. When done, you have a regular 4.0.2 non-jailbroken iPhone 4.
Why not updating to 4.0.1? 4.0.2 is just the same, but with the bug for jailbreakme fixed.
It may explode during first startup, though.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:10 AM   #4
LisaMaree
macrumors member

So I'll end up with a non-jailbroken iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 and with all the apps and settings and stuff I had on the previous 4.0? Nothing changed except jailbreak is gone right? And what do you mean by "explode during first startup"? A metaphor for something really actually going wrong or just a joke?

Last edited by LisaMaree; Aug 30, 2010 at 01:34 AM.
LisaMaree is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 01:41 AM   #5
Vandertramp
macrumors newbie

Everything that the jailbreak effected will be gone. Apps, settings, everything.
Vandertramp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2010, 07:54 AM   #6
eastercat
macrumors 68040

You don't want to update to 4.0.2. You can't jailbreak and unless you saved your blobs, you can't go back.
Moral of the story: 4.0.2 is no good for jailbreak and unlocks.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 06:58 PM   #7
xpwj
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastercat View Post
You don't want to update to 4.0.2. You can't jailbreak and unless you saved your blobs, you can't go back.
Moral of the story: 4.0.2 is no good for jailbreak and unlocks.
i thought the concensus is saving shsh is just so if u want to get back to the original firmware that are able to be Jailbroken....the process of jailbreaking iphone does not actualy involve saving shsh...and also, as of now in late august 2010, apple won't be sigining any pre 4.0.2 shsh so there is no way to save shsh anyway even if your phone is currently ios 4.0.1......is that right?
xpwj is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting