Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LisaMaree

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Sorry if I missed it but I searched but couldn't find a specific answer. If I jailbreak my iPhone 4 that's on version 4.0 right now (like at jailbreakme.com), what happens if I connect it to my computer and hit the update button in iTunes to update to 4.0.2? Will the phone update to 4.0.2 without problems? I assume what should happen is it should simply update from a jailbroken 4.0 to a non-jailbroken 4.0.2 -- is this right or will something go wrong and I should do a restore instead? I would rather not restore because this would mean starting from scratch in installing apps, etc.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Sorry if I missed it but I searched but couldn't find a specific answer. If I jailbreak my iPhone 4 that's on version 4.0 right now (like at jailbreakme.com), what happens if I connect it to my computer and hit the update button in iTunes to update to 4.0.2? Will the phone update to 4.0.2 without problems? I assume what should happen is it should simply update from a jailbroken 4.0 to a non-jailbroken 4.0.2 -- is this right or will something go wrong and I should do a restore instead? I would rather not restore because this would mean starting from scratch in installing apps, etc.
Well, it updates. When done, you have a regular 4.0.2 non-jailbroken iPhone 4.
Why not updating to 4.0.1? 4.0.2 is just the same, but with the bug for jailbreakme fixed.
It may explode during first startup, though.

LisaMaree

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
So I'll end up with a non-jailbroken iPhone 4 on 4.0.2 and with all the apps and settings and stuff I had on the previous 4.0? Nothing changed except jailbreak is gone right? And what do you mean by "explode during first startup"? A metaphor for something really actually going wrong or just a joke? :)

eastercat

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
PDX
You don't want to update to 4.0.2. You can't jailbreak and unless you saved your blobs, you can't go back.
Moral of the story: 4.0.2 is no good for jailbreak and unlocks.

xpwj

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
You don't want to update to 4.0.2. You can't jailbreak and unless you saved your blobs, you can't go back.
Moral of the story: 4.0.2 is no good for jailbreak and unlocks.

i thought the concensus is saving shsh is just so if u want to get back to the original firmware that are able to be Jailbroken....the process of jailbreaking iphone does not actualy involve saving shsh...and also, as of now in late august 2010, apple won't be sigining any pre 4.0.2 shsh so there is no way to save shsh anyway even if your phone is currently ios 4.0.1......is that right?:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.