Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

095453-intel_infineon.jpg

Intel today confirmed long-standing rumors by announcing that it will acquire the Wireless Solutions (WLS) unit of German firm Infineon for $1.4 billion. The move gives Intel a significant expansion into the market for smartphone chips as it continues to try to build interest in its own Atom platform for mobile and netbook devices.
Through this effort, Intel will pair WLS' best-in-class cellular technology with its core strengths to enable the delivery of low-power, Intel-based platforms that combine its applications processor with an expanded portfolio of wireless options -- bringing together Intel's leadership in Wi-Fi and WiMAX with WLS' leadership in 2G and 3G, and a combined path to accelerate 4G LTE.
The acquisition is notable for Apple, as the company has long eschewed Intel's offerings for its mobile devices in favor of ARM-based technology. Infineon's wireless unit has, however, supplied the baseband controller for supporting cellular connectivity in every generation of the iPhone.

While Intel and Apple have been key partners on the Mac platform since Apple began moving away from the PowerPC platform with the release of the Mac Pro in 2006, the two companies have not seen fit to work together on the mobile side of things. Intel has in the past been critical of the iPhone's use of ARM-based processor technology, claiming that any device seeking to access the "full Internet" needs to be based on Intel's technology.

Article Link: Intel to Acquire iPhone Supplier Infineon's Wireless Chip Unit

PeterQVenkman

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2005
heads up, Apple. Intel wants to drink your milkshake.

OTOH - will Jobs view this as an attack by a partner and switch to AMD processors?

Data

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2006
Are they looking to get more grip on the apple mobile devices all together with this or what, if so than apple better look for a new partner for those phone chips, otherwise they are far to dependable on intel for all there products.

intel

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2005
How arrogant of intel. Too bad their chips are too power hungry for cellphones. I don't want to carry a brick around or have to charge my phone twice a day. Once a day is already too much but is manageable.

Mac-Mariachi

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2002
Monterrey, Mexico
1.4 billion

So why didn´t Apple bought it in the first place? 1.4 Billion is just a fraction of Apple´s capital.

Are they planning on manufacturing their own baseline controllers?

fishmoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2008
Sweden
So why didn´t Apple bought it in the first place? 1.4 Billion is just a fraction of Apple´s capital.

Are they planning on manufacturing their own baseline controllers?

Most likely, the more of iPhone/iPad chip production Apple can move ”in house” the better for them.

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51
What a douche bag Intel has become. Apple should put out a line of products with AMD technology just to knock Intel back in line.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
How arrogant of intel. Too bad their chips are too power hungry for cellphones. I don't want to carry a brick around or have to charge my phone twice a day. Once a day is already too much but is manageable.

Arrogant?

It's a business acquisition. Morality doesn't play into it.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Makes sense: all they have to do is change the color of that swoosh from red to blue and then move some letters around.

All business acquisitions should be so simple...

PerfSeeker

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
I want hard evidence that Intel chips FOR wireless devices are more power hungry then the Atom line.

shartypants

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2010
I don't like the sound of this, but as long as it doesn't restrict Apple in making great phones, it should be fine. Intel knows everything is going mobile so its a smart move for them.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
What a douche bag Intel has become. Apple should put out a line of products with AMD technology just to knock Intel back in line.

How would it teach Intel anything? Apple wouldn't lower their prices so all that would happen is consumers would lose out on performance. Intel were doing fine before the Apple switch, they would carry on fine after.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
more layoffs coming ... :mad:

why would intel buy mcafee and now infineon when they laid off 1000s in oregon? :rolleyes:

Why not tell us why they layed off 1000's other than the shutdown of the 8 inch factory which is no longer needed since the road map show 8 inch demand coud easily be handled by 1 smaller more cost effective factory. Also the newer fab just do not require the same size labor force.
Nice spin though
By the way the the 8 inch factory is Fab17 in Massachusetts. They have been able to reduce their workforce in a non-automated fab by 60% and still enjoy higher yields and output and lower costs.

Dooger

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2009
Woohoo! New rumour! Thought the MR site was stuck forever on that "watch" story.

Don't see what the problem is, Apple snap up companies all the time

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
I wonder whether we'll see Wifi/3G combo's come out in the future for laptops - whether Apple will jump on board it and start selling laptops that support 3G Broadband out of the box along with wifi/bluetooth etc. It would be a great selling point and of benefit to Apple and the carriers out there.

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009
come 2012 expect to see atom CPU's with 3G chips on the same die being sold cheaper than buying it separately. bad for apple, good for anyone using Atom CPU's

macintoshtoffy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
New Zealand
come 2012 expect to see atom CPU's with 3G chips on the same die being sold cheaper than buying it separately. bad for apple, good for anyone using Atom CPU's

Nothing stopping Apple from using Atom CPU's - or maybe I'm under estimating Stevo and we might see an Atom powered device in the future some time.

lefooey

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2009
Spokane, WA
I wonder whether we'll see Wifi/3G combo's come out in the future for laptops - whether Apple will jump on board it and start selling laptops that support 3G Broadband out of the box along with wifi/bluetooth etc. It would be a great selling point and of benefit to Apple and the carriers out there.

My hunch is that's exactly why Intel is making this purchase. It's got nothing to do with the current stand-alone chips like the one used in the iPhone, but it's got everything to do with complete chipsets for 3G laptops/netbooks, etc.

I suspect Intel's trying to revive the "Centrino" project.

As long as they don't pull the asinine "you can't use another chip with ours" trick like they've done before, all the world will benefit.

If they do - I guess Qualcomm will be happy to sell new chipsets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.