Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Please leave your thoughts, if yes what will be the changes? If no why and will that mean a very expensive 128g flash drive Ipod touch is here.

I Really hope it stays as I need one asap:cool:. 48 hours only left to wait.

briansolomon

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
I wouldn't worry. I'm sure many stores (online and off) will continue to have lingering stock for some time to come in the event that they do get rid of the classic.

Wouldn't that be something-- if the Nano rumors prove true-- and Apple eliminates all click wheel ipods...wowee

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
Why is all the kids wanting to get rid of the classic? a lot of people have huge libaries and want them with them at all times and silly "smart playlists" (how are they smart?) don't cut it.

I know i dont want to choose what i think i would like to listen to 5 hours from now.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
128GB touch is not happening. Especially if they don't even have a 64GB iPhone yet. That size flash memory is pretty expensive, and I don't think they'll want to break their pricing scheme. Plus I think there are very few buyers for a $500 iPod.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
128GB touch is not happening. Especially if they don't even have a 64GB iPhone yet. That size flash memory is pretty expensive, and I don't think they'll want to break their pricing scheme. Plus I think there are very few buyers for a $500 iPod.

Conversely, perhaps we will see a 128GB iPod Touch for $399. And a 64GB iPhone introduced at $399.

And there aren't "a lot" of people who want to carry their entire 200GB music library around. It's a small, but vocal niche.

Not only do I think the Classic will die as of tomorrow, I think we might see the end of the iconic click wheel.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
I guarantee Apple will keep the Classic around, many people would be disappointed if they discontinue it, and I don't think they will. I believe they will add new features to it this Wednesday.

Charlie54321

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
iPod

I hope they increase the size of the classic. I travel a lot in the car and I have my classic plugged in. However my music collection is constantly increasing to the extent that I have to delete stuff from ITunes just to get everything on my Classic ( 160GB). Here's hoping anyway......:)

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
If anything they will add SSD or even flash memory to the classic. remember they still need a basic, generic music player and if this new nano is true, then that wont do.

Reason the 64GB is not on the iphone is because one of the spaces is used for a chip for the phone. The ipod doesnt need it so they can use both slots.

mlts22

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2008
Why is all the kids wanting to get rid of the classic? a lot of people have huge libaries and want them with them at all times and silly "smart playlists" (how are they smart?) don't cut it.

I know i dont want to choose what i think i would like to listen to 5 hours from now.

I think a lot of the people who bellyache about the iPod Classic do not have a significant library size. I know that 32 gig takes a bit of shoehorning of files, especially with the fact that one watches movies as well on the device. Even 64 GB won't fit a lot of music libraries.

The sad thing is that Apple is the only game in town for anything bigger than 32GB. Archos and Creative have media players, but they are for watching videos on, not a device to have a large music library for audio. Microsoft has a 128GB Zune, but IIRC, it won't accept files, and requires the Zune application for everything.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
Conversely, perhaps we will see a 128GB iPod Touch for $399. And a 64GB iPhone introduced at $399.

And there aren't "a lot" of people who want to carry their entire 200GB music library around. It's a small, but vocal niche.

Not only do I think the Classic will die as of tomorrow, I think we might see the end of the iconic click wheel.

Interesting speculation. I hope that the "click wheel" lives on as a touch gesture, perhaps on this new nano/shuffle/whatever that is being touted via the case leaks. Play/Pause would be a simple tap, while a gentle circular rub would control volume like with a click wheel (provided volume control is not completely relegated to the buttons that some have suggested from the case designs).

128 Gb is quite a bit of solid-state memory, and while it may fit in the touch, it may not be at a popular price point.

Here's a pipedream and a half: 256Gb SSD in the classic. Yeah, I know... won't happen.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Though outdated, I would say absolutely. The current Touches do not have a large enough capacity for some people. Not sure I can see them being updated hardware wise but they will still be around.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
I think a lot of the people who bellyache about the iPod Classic do not have a significant library size. I know that 32 gig takes a bit of shoehorning of files, especially with the fact that one watches movies as well on the device. Even 64 GB won't fit a lot of music libraries.

The sad thing is that Apple is the only game in town for anything bigger than 32GB. Archos and Creative have media players, but they are for watching videos on, not a device to have a large music library for audio. Microsoft has a 128GB Zune, but IIRC, it won't accept files, and requires the Zune application for everything.

Thats one reason why I think the classic will live on. There are some that just want a music player. No apps, no wifi. No camera.. Nothing. Just a simple music player. Plus theres a reason why its called classic.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Interesting speculation. I hope that the "click wheel" lives on as a touch gesture, perhaps on this new nano/shuffle/whatever that is being touted via the case leaks. Play/Pause would be a simple tap, while a gentle circular rub would control volume like with a click wheel (provided volume control is not completely relegated to the buttons that some have suggested from the case designs).

128 Gb is quite a bit of solid-state memory, and while it may fit in the touch, it may not be at a popular price point.

Here's a pipedream and a half: 256Gb SSD in the classic. Yeah, I know... won't happen.

256GB SSD is possible in a classic. In 3-4 years when prices come down

klrobinson999

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2008
surely they'll have it stick around. It's not the seller that it once was, but still pushes out quite a few per quarter.

jeffy.dee-lux

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
montreal
i want a 128GB or even a 64GB Classic! I've got a 5G 30GB that's still kicking strong, though I've had to use the setting that automatically compresses to 128 kbps on the iPod. If I can get double this storage plus better battery life, I'll be happy. I also hope they revamp the interface, as I"m not a fan of how they pulled off coverflow on the Classics and Nanos...

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
Wouldn't that be something-- if the Nano rumors prove true-- and Apple eliminates all click wheel ipods...wowee

I think this is totally possible. Apple has understood the value of selling you apps. Something the shuffle, nano, and classic can't do. Its in the ipad, iphone, ipod touch, and if rumors are true, it will be in the apple itv, and the in future macs. They won't leave it out of other products.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Look at it this way - Apple tries to maintain specific price points.

For the Touch, it's a safe assumption that they will double the capacity for the existing price points.

16/64/128 for $199/299/399 respectively. With the $199 model being the previous generation.

Secondly, in the past Apple has kept the subsidized iPhone price at $100 more than the equivalent iPod Touch model. So for $299 one could get a 32GB iPhone or a 64GB Touch. This is why I'm speculating that we'll see a $399 64GB iPhone - something to correspond with the $399 128GB Touch.

Finally, in terms of the Classic...it's currently being sold for $249. Large capacity hard drives have fallen in price over the past year. I doubt they'd drop the price point any further. I mean, for $199 you could get an iPod Touch with access to multiple apps and videos and music and internet...or simply a Classic with the ability to play songs and videos on a tiny screen. In order to keep the product viable, what else could they add? Camera? Video? Are those even worthwhile without wifi capabilities?

I just think the Classic has outlived its functionality. I speculate that the only reason it would stick around would be if they don't release a 128GB Touch.

ChrisGonzales90

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Hillsboro, Oregon USA.
Look at it this way - Apple tries to maintain specific price points.

For the Touch, it's a safe assumption that they will double the capacity for the existing price points.

16/64/128 for $199/299/399 respectively. With the $199 model being the previous generation.

Secondly, in the past Apple has kept the subsidized iPhone price at $100 more than the equivalent iPod Touch model. So for $299 one could get a 32GB iPhone or a 64GB Touch. This is why I'm speculating that we'll see a $399 64GB iPhone - something to correspond with the $399 128GB Touch.

Finally, in terms of the Classic...it's currently being sold for $249. Large capacity hard drives have fallen in price over the past year. I doubt they'd drop the price point any further. I mean, for $199 you could get an iPod Touch with access to multiple apps and videos and music and internet...or simply a Classic with the ability to play songs and videos on a tiny screen. In order to keep the product viable, what else could they add? Camera? Video? Are those even worthwhile without wifi capabilities?

I just think the Classic has outlived its functionality. I speculate that the only reason it would stick around would be if they don't release a 128GB Touch.

Expect single chip 64 flash is still expensive. The iPhone only uses a single flash chip, not two like the touch.

and going back to what I said, those who buy the classsic have no intrest in going on the web, having apps and such. They just want something to load all their music on. This is sad but true. There are people who are old school and rather access internet from home.

Thesand212

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2010
Yes There is a need My 4G is about to burn out. I need a Ipod with big storage to hold my music library.

RDM

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2008
Thats one reason why I think the classic will live on. There are some that just want a music player. No apps, no wifi. No camera.. Nothing. Just a simple music player. Plus theres a reason why its called classic.

I agree with this. My iPod Classic is solely used for music, while my phone does web, texting, video, and all the other stuff. A lot of people may want an all in one option but for me that's too much stuff compiled into one device for ease of use. The iPod sits in the car and plays music when I drive, I never have to fool with it until I add more music. Simple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.