Category: Mac Websites
Link: livepage.apple.com now forwards to apple.com/startpage/
Posted on MacBytes.com

Approved by Mudbug
MacBytes is offline   0
Old Dec 8, 2004, 11:45 PM   #2
Spymit007
macrumors regular

Apparently, this happens in Safari. When I open up IE, it still takes me to the old livepage address.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:03 AM   #3
polyesterlester
macrumors 6502

Send a message via ICQ to polyesterlester Send a message via AIM to polyesterlester Send a message via MSN to polyesterlester
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spymit007
Apparently, this happens in Safari. When I open up IE, it still takes me to the old livepage address.
Wow. How weird. Are you using IE for Mac or for Windows? Has anyone tested it in any other browsers? (I would test it, but I still have hours of work to get done and not enough time to do it... I shouldn't even be on here )
polyesterlester is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 12:22 AM   #4
fabsgwu
macrumors regular

Maybe try refreshing... I wouldn't really want that as my start page, kind of busy and boring at the same time. If I want to go to the apple store, I'll do it, I don't need to see that every day. Just my two cents
fabsgwu is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 01:15 AM   #5
jamdr
macrumors 6502a

It definitely forwards to apple.com/startpage in other browsers as well. I don't really like it either, but my start page was always news.google.com so I guess it doesn't matter.
jamdr is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 01:50 AM   #6
dudemac
macrumors member

This is the address that will take you to the normal site

http://apple.netscape.com/apple.adp

kind of funny that this changed.

Oh well.

dudemac is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 04:06 AM   #7
virividox
macrumors 68040

Location: Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbara - Boston (ugh hate not knowing where to call home)
i a tiff with netscape maybe prompted the change?
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:19 AM   #8
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
There was a rumour about this change a few months ago. It has finally just happened. It seems to be that Apple just wants to create its own start page, or that its deal with Netscape has expired (or is about to expire). Nothing more.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 08:12 AM   #9
srobert
macrumors 68020

Well. As much as I love Apple, this new start page is very... how shall I put it... uninformative.

Just tons of Apple, dotMac and iTMS promitions, a few old Apple news. I would have expected something more elegant from Apple.

No non-Apple news, no search tool, nothing! Gone are the good old days where we could completly customize our startpage.

Last edited by srobert; Dec 9, 2004 at 08:14 AM.
srobert is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 08:36 AM   #10
backupdrummer
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to backupdrummer Send a message via Yahoo to backupdrummer
Unhappy

That start page is really bad. I would have thought a company that prides itself on sleek design would have come up with something more impressive then that.

They could have used this as a great supplament to .mac ala yahoo where your start page has all sorts of information on things you are interested in as well as integration with you web service (.mac).

Apple had a chance to really make a splash and show what they could do but ended up spitting out a clunky advertising riddled mess.
backupdrummer is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 09:31 AM   #11
macridah
macrumors 6502a

I wish the startpage had some daily news. The netscape one had breaking news and cool articles, plus apple news. The new startpage only has apple news and doesn't update daily. Boooooo apple. At least have an rss feed to daily us and/or world news ... also some random interesting articles would be good.
macridah is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 09:56 AM   #12
Xtremehkr
macrumors 68000

I'm glad it wasn't just me. Yeah, I agree, Apples start page is not much different from visiting the Apple Store.

Come one guys, let's have some news and current events, some community stuff, games, a car section, and all of that other good stuff.

Hire Pixar to work on something, they would make it great.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:00 AM   #13
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

My start page always gets set to about:blank... not because I don't want a start page necessarily but because when I open a new window or new tab I don't see the point in reopening my start page...
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:01 AM   #14
johnnyjibbs
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to johnnyjibbs Send a message via MSN to johnnyjibbs
Ok, so it's not that great, but who really cares? I've never used a startup page like that anyway. Currently, I have my homepage set to my blog. If you prefer the Yahoo one, use that.
johnnyjibbs is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:06 AM   #15
srobert
macrumors 68020

It's sad to think that hundreds of thousands of dollars must have been invested into this "New Stratpage' project ^_^

Yup. A dotMac ultra-customizable start page would have been a better idea. It would also have added to the much debated value of dotMac.

(For what it's worth, I've send .Mac feedback to Apple with suggestions on the startpage)

edit: As of today, I'm back with excite.com.

Last edited by srobert; Dec 9, 2004 at 02:19 PM.
srobert is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 10:17 AM   #16
road dog
macrumors regular

this new page blows

the previous page... with it's focus on 90% content and 10% apple news/sales was much better, and at least was as useful as my yahoo, etc. so new mac users wouldn't change it to something else.

this new page... it's focus is 100% apple news/sales and has no other useful content... now ensures that most people will change it to something else...

basically breaking the contact with the customer that apple was trying to make in the first place.

not too smart.
road dog is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 05:29 PM   #17
Wonder Boy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Wonder Boy
worst startpage ever.

it's apple.com version 2.0. how useless.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 05:43 PM   #18
birdherder
macrumors newbie

strange that the same day this happened my.yahoo.com [sbc dsl version] changed to be even better [rss feeds out of beta].

if the deal with netscape is over, apple should partner with yahoo and have a version on my.yahoo.com that looks like apple -- and pre-loaded with rss feeds for apple news and rss feeds.
birdherder is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 05:52 PM   #19
Peyote
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyjibbs
Ok, so it's not that great, but who really cares? I've never used a startup page like that anyway. Currently, I have my homepage set to my blog. If you prefer the Yahoo one, use that.

Well goody for you. There's a lot of people that liked the old start page and used it. I'm just glad it isn't gone altogether.
Peyote is offline   0
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:42 PM   #20
lalcan
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to lalcan
I imagine Apple is already working in a new start page with Google, and i'm pretty sure it will rock!
Old Dec 9, 2004, 06:55 PM   #21
Wonder Boy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to Wonder Boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdherder
strange that the same day this happened my.yahoo.com [sbc dsl version] changed to be even better [rss feeds out of beta].

if the deal with netscape is over, apple should partner with yahoo and have a version on my.yahoo.com that looks like apple -- and pre-loaded with rss feeds for apple news and rss feeds.
any suggestions for a good RSS feeder? i know nothing about RSS except that it sounds pretty cool. Thanks.
Old Dec 9, 2004, 07:47 PM   #22
FelixDerKater
macrumors 68000

That's a neat page, but it doesn't provide outside news and such.
FelixDerKater is offline   0
Old Dec 10, 2004, 04:11 PM   #23
latergator116
macrumors 68000

Send a message via ICQ to latergator116
Absolutely horrible. Yahoo is my new startup page.
latergator116 is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Mac Scene