Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Do Apple replace the back casing without replacing the whole phone?

what is the cost of this in an Apple store (US & UK price?)

db67fm

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Do Apple replace the back casing without replacing the whole phone?

Edit: Things have changed since I posted this.

A co-worker of mine who cracked his back panel went to the Apple store in Sherman Oaks, CA and they told him they would replace the back glass for $30, but he has to wait a week for the part to come in.

RebelWithACause

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
The Geniuses at the Apple Store can actually replace the back glass on an iPhone 4 for $30, but apparently they can't replace the front glass, since it's sealed to the antenna.

Of course, the only part they can service on the iPhone 3GS is the front display for $99, so there's not an option for that.

Please, go to your local Apple Store, ask them how much to get your back glass on your iP4 repaired, and THEN come back here and tell me I'm providing false information.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
The Geniuses at the Apple Store can actually replace the back glass on an iPhone 4 for $30, but apparently they can't replace the front glass, since it's sealed to the antenna.

Of course, the only part they can service on the iPhone 3GS is the front display for $99, so there's not an option for that.

Please, go to your local Apple Store, ask them how much to get your back glass on your iP4 repaired, and THEN come back here and tell me I'm providing false information.

Dude Im not sure where you are getting your info from but if you call Apple they wont confirm your story. and I know this cause I just asked them 2 weeks ago when I sent a 3gs in for replacement. I have a repair shop and wanted to compare prices.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
it would be pretty stupid if they werent able to replace the back surely?

as a business decision what would they rather do? replace the whole phone or simply replace the back panel.

i will give my local apple store a ring today to find out.

Pez555

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Just got off the phone to my local Apple Store, i can confirm that they are beginning to do this. The guy on the phone wasn't sure of the pricing but he said a few places are doing this in the UK, and that all apple stores will follow suit.

this is great news, hopefully it wont be too expensive but if its $30 in the US i cant imagine it being any more than £25 here?

If anyone in the UK has had this done what was the cost?

Hemmo

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
i was thinking of buying white OEM backplate for my iphone 4,but it was something like 100$..bit too steep for me.

RebelWithACause

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2010
Well I called some Apple stores in my area and they said more than likely the repair would be $100.00 for the back....

Where would they be pulling that number from? It's $30 to replace the back, and $99 to replace the front glass ONLY on a 3G and 3GS.

Friend just had the front glass replaced on a 3GS. It was $99+tax.

...or are you just trying to scare people away from Apple to use your own iPhone repair service?

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
this is a load of crap!

I just got off the phone with Apple at 800-694-7466. they advised me that this is not true at all. the replacement cost for any iPhone that has been damaged is considered out of warranty and the cost is $199. they do not replace just glass. he also said the apple stores will not do this as well. he did say independent shops can charge anything they wish. he also asked me where I got this info and I directed him here so most likely we may be getting a post from Apple Tech Support.

now if you dont believe me or want to argue then call the number first and ask for yourself. he said on the 4 or the 3g or 3gs if they crack by the dock they will look at it and if its not been from being dropped they may elect to replace it at that time. but he advised to take it to an apple store so they can check it out. and if Im wrong Im sure he is going to correct me asap! cause they are coming to look!!

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
Just got off the phone to my local Apple Store, i can confirm that they are beginning to do this. The guy on the phone wasn't sure of the pricing but he said a few places are doing this in the UK, and that all apple stores will follow suit.

this is great news, hopefully it wont be too expensive but if its $30 in the US i cant imagine it being any more than £25 here?

If anyone in the UK has had this done what was the cost?

also remember I am talking about the US not anywhere else cause the rules may be different over there.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
Where would they be pulling that number from? It's $30 to replace the back, and $99 to replace the front glass ONLY on a 3G and 3GS.

Friend just had the front glass replaced on a 3GS. It was $99+tax.

...or are you just trying to scare people away from Apple to use your own iPhone repair service?

wow...really i recommend more people to go to apple when there phone is under warranty...i do not and will not discourage people from using apple..not to accuse me of doing so is offensive.......but i will take into account that your new here

And thanks Applejuiced for that post....

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I just checked with a buddy that works at a store in one of the bigger cities, and at his store it is $99 for front screen/$29 for back glass replacements.

Their store wasn't told if this was chain-wide, or a pilot Apple is trying in certain stores. His store often does pilot projects.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
I just checked with a buddy that works at a store in one of the bigger cities, and at his store it is $99 for front screen/$29 for back glass replacements.

Their store wasn't told if this was chain-wide, or a pilot Apple is trying in certain stores. His store often does pilot projects.

just curious what country?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
just curious what country?
US

Wonder if it's a pilot program, so the 1-800 AppleCare folks aren't talking about it yet?

Update -- I have a friend in another store (other side of the country) and his store is doing it too. $29 for iPhone 4 back replacements. He said the $99 screen replacement is only for 3G/3Gs though, it's still $199 for the iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.