Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bonsaidetective

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Hulu, Netflix, Pandora - Let's just get these out of the way.
Weather Channel - no brainer
News Channels - no brainer
Daily Show/Colbert Nation - on internet for free, why not an app?
Scrabble - board games should be awesome, especially when integrated with iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad
Top Gun, Galaga, Pac-man - I'm a nostalgic gamer mostly
X-Plane - maybe with controls and instruments on an iPad?
Domino's Pizza - I can get fatter without leaving the couch.
Karaoke - Sorry to say, it may be perfect for this
Amazon

Some things sound cool but I don't know if I would actually use them.
Maps?
Facebook?
Facetime?

Steve Jobs=God

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Facetime and Maps? why? :confused:

I personally really don't like the idea of an AppleTV app Store, but if there has to be one because i'm sure i'm in the minority, i only want apps that will improve the TV functionality with TV on demand services, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, ITV Player etc.

Can see the benefit of Facebook on the device but i personally wouldn't use it much, bu tthat's not to say it wouldn't be widely popular with other users.

The main thing i would like Apple to do with it is to vastly improve the way my movies are listed, ideally a coverflow style

bonsaidetective

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Facetime and Maps? why? :confused

Facetime would be great for family gatherings, birthday and the such, where part of the family is far away. You get a whole room shot instead up someone's nose. I personally would use Facetime for Appletv more than on the iPhone, but that would only be a few times a year probably.

Maps would only be useful if I could transfer routes to my iPad/iPhone/iPod Touch. I'd prefer to sit on my couch and map out fun trips. It would also be useful for showing other people stuff on the map.

Coverflow would be cool. I'd also be happy with doing it in a grid like they do with the trailers. I've got over 500 movies, definitely need a better way to browse.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I personally really don't like the idea of an AppleTV app Store, but if there has to be one because i'm sure i'm in the minority.

I'm in the same minority as you then:D because I think an apps store on the ATV/iTV is pointless. I can see the attraction of things like Hulu and Netflix but these could be build right into the OS to start with and don't really need to be seperate apps.

To me the ATV/iTV is there for one purpose only to allow me to watch my iTunes content on my TV, why do I need rubbish like facebook or games or, and I really hope the OP is wrong but Domino's Pizza, come on!

But unfortunately while ever Apple can squeeze a bit more money out of people by selling useless apps they will, so we probably will end up with apps and even a Domino's Pizza one eventually if there isn't one already:rolleyes:

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Coverflow would be cool. I'd also be happy with doing it in a grid like they do with the trailers. I've got over 500 movies, definitely need a better way to browse.

Totally agree with you there, thats the one thing the current ATV lacks. Along with multiple genres for movies.

edit:- Oh god NO!!!!! I've just found it on the iTunes store, there is a Domino's Pizza app........... It's the end of civilization, run for the hills:D

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I'd have to say of these apps would be great for the iTV
Facebook-Social
MLB At Bat
Sports Tap- Notifications for all sports
iMovie- Edit Videos on the screen that you watch them on.
Nasa app- Pictures from the Hubble would look great on the big screen
Madden 11- No need for another console
ESPN app-Highlights and hopefully games
Channel apps- $10 for the app per year - reruns of old episodes (New episodes from the iTunes rental store).
Live sporting events
HBO app- $10 a month
IMDb- Watch a movie and research movies at the same time

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I'm in the same minority as you then:D because I think an apps store on the ATV/iTV is pointless. I can see the attraction of things like Hulu and Netflix but these could be build right into the OS to start with and don't really need to be seperate apps.

To me the ATV/iTV is there for one purpose only to allow me to watch my iTunes content on my TV, why do I need rubbish like facebook or games or, and I really hope the OP is wrong but Domino's Pizza, come on!

But unfortunately while ever Apple can squeeze a bit more money out of people by selling useless apps they will, so we probably will end up with apps and even a Domino's Pizza one eventually if there isn't one already:rolleyes:

While I certain can understand one having a preference for or no need for an app store, you guys make it sound like the presence of an app store would ruin the device. I personally would like to have to some of the most commonly mentioned apps (netflix, hulu, espn3?), primarily things I already consume on my Mini HTPC, but can certainly understand why Apple would want to have one--just look at what they've done for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. You don't want/need an app store, just don't use it. I really don't see a downside.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
While I certain can understand one having a preference for or no need for an app store, you guys make it sound like the presence of an app store would ruin the device. I personally would like to have to some of the most commonly mentioned apps (netflix, hulu, espn3?), primarily things I already consume on my Mini HTPC, but can certainly understand why Apple would want to have one--just look at what they've done for the iPhone, iPod, and iPad. You don't want/need an app store, just don't use it. I really don't see a downside.

I couldn't agree more. Like u said, if you have an app store, then everyone can decide what to download (or not download) onto their Apple TV. It's simply about choice; why would anyone not want a choice? Surely with an app store, everyone is a winner!?

bonsaidetective

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2007
Wow. Never thought anyone would not want an app store. I doubt it will be chock full of fart apps. They wouldn't work as well on TV. Although, there will probably be lots of promotional apps, for movies, tv shows, politicians. I agree with tbayrgs, just don't download them if you don't want them. The best app for the appletv is the one we haven't even thought of yet.

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
I couldn't agree more. Like u said, if you have an app store, then everyone can decide what to download (or not download) onto their Apple TV. It's simply about choice; why would anyone not want a choice? Surely with an app store, everyone is a winner!?

I agree, I'm all about giving people a choice, I wouldn't use an ATV/iTV apps store but I know that alot of people would. However what I don't want to see is Apple piling all their efforts into an apps store just to make money and neglecting the core playback features that need to be fixed to make the ATV a better media playback device.

Bevz

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I agree, I'm all about giving people a choice, I wouldn't use an ATV/iTV apps store but I know that alot of people would. However what I don't want to see is Apple piling all their efforts into an apps store just to make money and neglecting the core playback features that need to be fixed to make the ATV a better media playback device.

I understand where you're coming from there... I would hate to see them neglect the basic stuff too. There is a serious list of updates the ATV needs before you even get to putting an App store on it. However, with an app store; you may have the option of using different media player software like Boxee(?); it could theoretically open up choice and free the ATV from iTunes (if that's what the user wants).... Just thinking out loud ;)

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Aside from Hulu and Netflix, would love a combined or individuals apps to stream whatever is currently playing on FOX, ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and CW.

Then I could cut cable! I have no problem paying Comcast for what I use (i.e., internet), but I do have issues paying them for channels I don't watch and having to pay extra to rent the box.

I've tried the antenna route, but I can't put one outside of my condo and the indoor won't hold a signal for picture yet alone sound.

magikgeek

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
The Apps I Want...

1. XBMC
2. Facetime
3. Netflix
4. Hulu
5. Revision3
6. Food Network
7. HBO
8. Starz
9. SyFy
10. Showtime
11. Facebook

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.