Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NameTheUser

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
Europe, Estonia
Hello!

I have Canon CanoScan LIDE 50 and I do not know how to get it work. I have downloaded and installed the latest driver from Canon official webpage, and I also have downloaded and installed CanoScan Toolbox 5.0, but still it wont work.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
According to the Canon web site the LiDE 50 is only supported under these versions of OS X, 10.1/10.2/10.3/10.4. I assume you're running Snow Leopard and if so, you're out of luck as that scanner is only supported through OS X 10.4 Tiger. No Leopard or Snow Leopard support from Canon.

Welcome to the club, I've got an LiDE 80 that's in the same boat, fortunately for now I'm running 10.4, but I know when the day comes and I get a new Mac I'll also have to get a new scanner. Thanks Canon!

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
there's a program that i saw on either versiontracker or macupdate called "VueScan" or something like that claims to have supports for 'almost every scanner on the market'..

have you tried that?

mex4eric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
there's a program that i saw on either versiontracker or macupdate called "VueScan" or something like that claims to have supports for 'almost every scanner on the market'..

have you tried that?

Both the old scanner software and Vuescan work on my Canon LiDE 80, Vuescan is better. However, they both need Rosetta to work as they are old PowerPC code and Lion 10.7 drops Rosetta, so the scanner will be toast in July.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Both the old scanner software and Vuescan work on my Canon LiDE 80, Vuescan is better. However, they both need Rosetta to work as they are old PowerPC code and Lion 10.7 drops Rosetta, so the scanner will be toast in July.

Are you saying that the LiDE 80 works with Canons' drivers/software under OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)?

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
been running my Lide80 since installing SL>
Go here for a how-to. You will need Vuescan and the canon driver for it to work. Nevermind the clunky/useless Canon Toolbox.
http://macdiddy.com/archives/148

Thanks. I didn't know that VueScan had been updated to work with the LiDE 80, the last time I checked it hadn't. Considering the cost of VueScan it might make more sense to just get a new scanner and be done with it.

cesko

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2009
Canada
Thanks. I didn't know that VueScan had been updated to work with the LiDE 80, the last time I checked it hadn't. Considering the cost of VueScan it might make more sense to just get a new scanner and be done with it.

Agreed.Especially if moving to Lion renders the How-To moot. Shame, I really like the versatility of the Lide80.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Agreed.Especially if moving to Lion renders the How-To moot. Shame, I really like the versatility of the Lide80.

I like the ability of the LiDE 80 to scan 35mm negs, I've only used it a couple of times, but really need to do all my old negs before it's too late. I can still use it with my old iMac and we have a PC that it will still work with so, I don't have any immediate need to replace it. I need to get a new printer one of these days, so I'll probably just get an an all-in-one and cover both bases. Probably won't be a Canon though, as much as I like their products I'm having trouble forgiving them for leaving us hanging. If a user could figure this out for Leopard and Snow Leopard then Canon should have also done it.

I'll also be upgrading to Lion in the near future (since I qualify for the free upgrade), but it won't be right away as I'm still in the midst of moving stuff from the iMac to the MacBook Pro and getting updated versions of software, etc.

rdj

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Virginia
LiDE 30 working under Mac OS X Lion with VueScan 9

FYI, after installing Mac OS X Lion (10.7), I found myself unable to use any of the Canon drivers or software, nor could I import scans into Photoshop Elements 6.

I saw something about VueScan and one of the LiDE printers, but it indicated that a Canon driver was required.

Now, I had tried installing any non-Power PC Canon driver I could find (e.g. for the LiDE 90) and still couldn't get anything to work. Then I remembered that I had bought VueScan 9 quite a while ago.

So, I started VueScan 9, and voilá, it talks to my LiDE 30 just fine! (Or maybe it's a LiDE 50... the inscription is quite small and not very clear. I've had several LiDE scanners pass through here, so I'm truly not sure which one it is. VueScan thinks its a 30.)

Anyway, after taking the plunge into Lion, you might want to try VueScan if you haven't before tossing that nice LiDE scanner in the trash.

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
FYI, after installing Mac OS X Lion (10.7), I found myself unable to use any of the Canon drivers or software, nor could I import scans into Photoshop Elements 6.

I saw something about VueScan and one of the LiDE printers, but it indicated that a Canon driver was required.

Now, I had tried installing any non-Power PC Canon driver I could find (e.g. for the LiDE 90) and still couldn't get anything to work. Then I remembered that I had bought VueScan 9 quite a while ago.

So, I started VueScan 9, and voilá, it talks to my LiDE 30 just fine! (Or maybe it's a LiDE 50... the inscription is quite small and not very clear. I've had several LiDE scanners pass through here, so I'm truly not sure which one it is. VueScan thinks its a 30.)

Anyway, after taking the plunge into Lion, you might want to try VueScan if you haven't before tossing that nice LiDE scanner in the trash.

Checking Vuescan's site I see that the LiDE 80 isn't supported under OS X Lion as it requires the installation of the Canon driver which is PowerPC code. The LiDE 30 works with Vuescan without the installation of any drivers.

FYI: The LiDE 80 has a brushed aluminum cover (metal), charcoal colored base and the front panel is black with 4 silver buttons. The LiDE 30 has a silver base and front panel with 3 black buttons and I believe the cover is plastic and blueish in color.

magriver

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2007
Lide 50 with Lion

I actually just downloaded and installed the drivers for the Lide 35, with the CanoScan Toolbox 4.5. They worked fine, I have managed to get this driver to work with VueScan before too. It is a old scanner , think it is about 10 years now, but it does its job so why get a new one.

rdj

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Virginia
Checking Vuescan's site I see that the LiDE 80 isn't supported under OS X Lion as it requires the installation of the Canon driver which is PowerPC code. The LiDE 30 works with Vuescan without the installation of any drivers.

FYI: The LiDE 80 has a brushed aluminum cover (metal), charcoal colored base and the front panel is black with 4 silver buttons. The LiDE 30 has a silver base and front panel with 3 black buttons and I believe the cover is plastic and blueish in color.

Based on your helpful description, my scanner is indeed a LiDE 30. I had bought a newer model but let my daughter have that one.

For once, hanging onto "outdated" technology helped me adapt to new. And the 30 is still a superb scanner for my needs in addition to the "feature" of remaining functional!

Unfortunately, the practice of leaving one "stranded" with nonfunctional equipment in the face of operating system upgrades is not limited to Canon as in the case of their more recent LiDE scanners. HP did that to me several times over the years, most notably with a tape backup device which struck me as bordering on irresponsible in their case.

-^-rdj-^-

DewGuy1999

macrumors 68040
Jan 25, 2009
Based on your helpful description, my scanner is indeed a LiDE 30. I had bought a newer model but let my daughter have that one.

For once, hanging onto "outdated" technology helped me adapt to new. And the 30 is still a superb scanner for my needs in addition to the "feature" of remaining functional!

Unfortunately, the practice of leaving one "stranded" with nonfunctional equipment in the face of operating system upgrades is not limited to Canon as in the case of their more recent LiDE scanners. HP did that to me several times over the years, most notably with a tape backup device which struck me as bordering on irresponsible in their case.

-^-rdj-^-

One of the reasons that I went with a Canon scanner was that supposedly Canon had good, continuing Mac support. :(

navex

macrumors newbie
Oct 20, 2011
Lide 50 with Lion 10.7.2

Thanks magriver

I too have downloaded drivers and software for the lide 35 from the canon US site and I am now able to use my lide 50 scanner directly under Lion, albeit scan 1 & 2 settings still need tweaking.

wimrumor

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
I installed Canoscan Toolbox 4.5.1.2 and than the driver lide35osx7721en.dmg, and restarted. Works in Lion 10.7.2

shasz

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
CanoScan flat bed scanner software Lion 10.7

I have a CanoScan Lide 50
It staggered with Snow Leopard
Gave up with Lion

I read the posts
Tried Canon Toolbox 5 dowloads - nothing even flickered

Tired VueScan -- worked straight off the site
http://www.hamrick.com/

Bought, installed, very happy
And - it reactivates an old scanner as well as the one I'm using

Goodbye Canon helpdesk ...

Shasz

Airbook 13inch 2011 :):):):)

Eric Colvin

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2013
Osaka
VueScan works a treat

Thanks guys.
Just downloaded VueScan and can confirm it works well with LidE 50 and OSX 10.75 :)
http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/canon_lide_50.html

However, the welcome page warns that I must purchase if I want to avoid the watermark which author, Ed Hamrick, says he adds to scans made with unregistered software. Crafty bugger. Price? US$40 for a year's worth of free upgrades; or $80 for an "Unlimited Upgrade Period" (looks like you can pay the extra for the "unlimited" option any time in that first year).

On reflection, though, probably worth it. I know you can pick up a brand new scanner for about the same as the software, but - hey, if you've got a good one - why not keep it working? Save the planet; save the lungs of the poor thirteen-year-old kids in China and India obliged to melt down electronic circuit-boards with bunsen burners for petty cash (see: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFfaYc_pIx8
http://www.ban.org/E-waste/technotrashfinalcomp.pdf
http://www.greenpeace.org/internati...ort/2010/1/Switching-on-Green-Electronics.pdf ).

Viewed that way, Hamrick is an eco-warrior.

rdj

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2007
Virginia
That was an interesting segue to a disturbing issue, Eric. It's not just garment workers at risk, is it. I shared the YouTube video with some friends. Note that YouTube provides a "Transcript" button/icon for this video. I didn't know they did that.

As a guy who acquires and enjoys using electronics of historical significance, perhaps that makes me somewhat of an eco-warrior as well. What a great justification rationalization perspective that is!

Thanks also for reminding me to update my copy of VueScan Pro. It's one of the few apps that doesn't automatically check for updates.

MacScore

macrumors newbie
Jun 28, 2013
Canon scanner - problems after updating to OS X.6.8 - help?

I have a CanoScan Lide 50
It staggered with Snow Leopard
Gave up with Lion

I read the posts
Tried Canon Toolbox 5 dowloads - nothing even flickered

Tired VueScan -- worked straight off the site
http://www.hamrick.com/

Bought, installed, very happy
And - it reactivates an old scanner as well as the one I'm using

Goodbye Canon helpdesk ...

Shasz

This sounds very similar to my situation, although I am certainly more of a dinosaur. I need help, please, with MacBookPro / Canon scanner compatibility.
I have a 2007 MacBookPro (I know, I know, but I love it and it works fine); I use a CanoScan 4400F flatbed scanner, running the software PhotoStudio (from ArcSoft) and CanoScanToolbox for pdfs. Last month I finally took the plunge and installed OS X.6.8 Snow Leopard. All seemed well, until I tried to scan jpg files or any other image files.
PhotoStudio quit unexpectedly, all the time. Using the ImageCapture feature of the CanoScan Toolbox worked for about half an hour, and then that stalled too. Two hours of phone support from Canon - no joy. Re-installed all drivers and reinstalled all software - nothing. I love my scanner, and don't feel that I need to buy a new computer because of this. I sense that the old MacBookPro is having a problem with Snow Leopard and Canon scanners when scanning images...
If anybody out there has any advice for me, I would be incredibly grateful as I NEED this for my work.
Mac support was not able to help; they told me that I needed to contact Canon - who admittedly tried their best to help - in a foreign language - but could not identify the problem. Mac Support told me my computer is "vintage"!!!
Many thanks in advance.

deGenova

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I need some scanner help here from an expert too -

have you tried that?

I opened "VueScan" (it looks like it would work fine) for my CanoScan LiDE 90 (U 1,0) but you must buy it first - no trial. I can buy a new scanner for the price.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I need some scanner help here from an expert too - when I try to load the scanner from the disc in my new SuperDrive into an iMac 10.9 it stops at 60 % either as a partial standalone or the full version.

I found a driver page at Canon that say's no online drivers available - I must use the drivers that come with the disc. But of course - therein lies the rub.

I cannot access the driver by itself from the disc either........

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.