Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
Everybody goes for different styles of cases... some people to prevent worst-case drop scenarios, and some to prevent the average scratches from normal every day use but not the worst case.

What cases have you dropped your I4 in, what was the drop scenario, and what was the outcome? Just curious...

ipadder

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
:O I just dropped mine today actually :( It landed a marble floor from about 3.5-4 feet (putting it in my pocket -_-). I had an iStand case (doesn't cover the front) and luckily it landed on its back. Case is fine and so is hte phone!

here's some pics i took of it before:

N767j.jpg

UMyWs.jpg

2PpGF.jpg

nothing's really changed after the fall.

hasek3139

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2009
dropped my ip4 in a griffin reveal etch from about 5-6ft. nothing happend to the case or phone :)

TurdFerguson

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
O'side!
I've dropped mine maybe 4 times with the wrapsol ultra skin. The wrapsol had some scratches from when I dropped it on asphalt. But all I have to do is send them a picture of the scratches and they will mail me a new one.

adztaylor

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2009
Preston, UK
I dropped mine few days ago outside on some jagged concrete, landed right on the corner and alls I had protecting it was the Apple white bumper. Not a single scratch or dint on the phone but it took a massive chunk out of the bumper. So relieved haha.

bigbro1096

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
Thankfully I haven't dropped my iPhone 4 yet! I don't even throw it onto my bed but I bought a otterbox defender because I would never want my iPhone to get hurt!:cool:

Cakiman11

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
Since I want my iphone 4 to show its beauty I just use cases that are very thin etc, and I dropped my iphone 4 on a replicase, well, didn't actually drop it, someone hit the hand in my phone accidentally and it went flying landing on the floor from about 5 feet on the iphone's side and it survived. Other drop was on a Pixelskin HD, and it even wasn't me, I gave it to a friend and as soon as I heard the "oh no!" and the "splat!" I was crushed, but it was ok and the case and iphone were unharmed :D.

Macmar88

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
My girlfriend drop her phone she has the Monochrome Slider by Incase. Well she was at work and pulled it out her pocket and bam straight to the floor. This is the aftermath

DSC00826.JPG

DSC00827.JPG

DSC00829.JPG

By the way the phone had no damage at all!!!

WesCole

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
Texas
I dropped my iPhone 4 with a bumper case only. There wasn't a mark on either the phone or bumper. Granted, it was only about a 3 ft. fall and it was onto indoor/outdoor carpet, but I am still glad I had the bumper on there...

Wes

MrNimziki

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2009
I've dropped mine twice getting out of the car with my bumper on...phone is fine, but the second time the bumper got a little scuffed up.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
1st time I had an iFrogz case my i4 when it hit the concrete. The phone was in great condition, but the case was cracked and I had to toss it pretty much. The 2nd time was last nite when I dropped it trying to put it in my holster. I had an Otterbox Defender on it and it got a little dirt on it. Cleaned off the dirt and actually exchanged the red OBD for the black OBD this morning.

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
it seems like the bumper has been holding up for most people... that's a good sign!

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind
I've dropped my phone twice with the bumper on. Once on wood flooring and once on tile. The time I dropped it on the tile, I tried a secret ninja move with my foot in an effort to stop the fall and to add insult to injury I actually ended up stepping on it as well.

A little scuff on the bumper, but not a mark on the phone.

I'm happy to see the bumper holding up so well for others as well, especially because it seems to be the butt of many jokes.

*knock wood*

gnychis

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 24, 2009
I've dropped my phone twice with the bumper on. Once on wood flooring and once on tile. The time I dropped it on the tile, I tried a secret ninja move with my foot in an effort to stop the fall and to add insult to injury I actually ended up stepping on it as well.

A little scuff on the bumper, but not a mark on the phone.

I'm happy to see the bumper holding up so well for others as well, especially because it seems to be the butt of many jokes.

*knock wood*

hahahah, i have imagined the exact same thing you did... extending my foot to try and cradle it during a fall and lessen the impact. But maybe I should reconsider after your result ;)

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
I'm using a Scosche BandEdge (clear/pink), and I've dropped my iPhone several times, including onto asphalt. The phone itself is great, although the case is starting to look a bit rough, especially the bottom. The polycarbonate part has a bunch of cracks and chips, but luckily the rubber is holding it together still. I'll be getting an iBand once they're available.

Huliodude

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2010
Dropped my phone in an ifrogz lux lean, twice. The first time was onto carpet and the case popped off on one corner, but no damage to either case or phone.

The second time I sat the phone on the backrest of the couch and it proceeded to slide down the back of the couch and hit the baseboard along the bottom of the wall. The phone hit on the bottom corner of the case and partially on the bottom of the phone that is exposed. The phone is apparently tougher than wood 'cause it took a chunk out of the baseboard. That's when I decided I needed a case that's more protective and got a Griffin Outfit Ice.

Russiaone

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2010
Hmmm... I haven't actually dropped mine accidentally. But I have drop tested mine in two different cases, but only onto a carpeted floor. I guess I called myself "breaking" it in.

I used both the free Dexim rubber case I got at launch and my recently-arrived free Pixel Skin HD. No scratches, that I can see, and no breakage.

The Pixel Skin HD is awesome, BTW. A little movement on the right side, but it's only a minor annoyance.:)

caralck

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
I dropped mine in a iskin solo without any issue. My coworker had dropped it into her desk full of keys when I had the belkin grip vue with the screen protector that came with the gelaskin and no damage to the screen. I also accidentally slammed the top edge of the phone hard into the doorway when I was leaving a room quickly (with the iskin) and no damage...to the phone. I, however was distressed by it for a minute.

MadGoat

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2007
Canada
Thankfully I haven't dropped my iPhone 4 yet! I don't even throw it onto my bed but I bought a otterbox defender because I would never want my iPhone to get hurt!:cool:

Wow... that's sad. I chuck my on the bed, drop it on the table, toss it to my wife.

... It's just a phone.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Interesting thread.

My story: Ifrogz luxe lean. Dropped face down onto concrete 3-4 ft. iPhone face completely shattered but still working. $199 replacement at Apple store. Case showing moderate scuffs and scratches (in a drawer where it now sits unused and unloved)

Sanveann

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2009
Michigan
I've dropped mine several times, in both the iFrogz Luxe and the Speck Fitted. No damage to the phone either time! However, when I dropped it in the Speck, the case came apart, which made me a little nervous. The iFrogz stayed on just fine. (Case was a little beat-up looking, though.)

StuLax18

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Dropped onto concrete two times in my Incase slider. The case has some marks in the matte coating but that's it. Phone is fine except something seems to be rattling around inside, but it doesn't make the noise if I hold the on/off button down.

M-5

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
I was sitting on my bed, and my phone was plugged into my MacBook Pro. The cord was around my waist, but I had forgotten it was there, so when I got up off of the bed I ended up pulling the cord and the iPhone fell to the wood floor. It had an Apple bumper, and it didn't sound like it was a really hard hit. Everything looked completely fine though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.