Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
I am currently one of three people on the webteam working on a 10th grade school project. Extremely long story short:

What is some good, cheap, forum software? I like the software here at MacRumors but I have a feeling that it costs a bit much than our site can afford.

So, what good software is there that is both cheap/free and easy to incorporate with our existing website?

And don't ask to see the site, it looks like crap right now due to our other teams that don't help us AT ALL.......

StarbucksSam

macrumors 65816
Nov 21, 2004
Washington, D.C.
VBulliten is very expensive.
If you can still find a free copy of Invision 1.3.1 before they went commercial, that's a nice deal.
PHPBB is... okay.
YaBB sucks.

Josh

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2004
State College, PA
I agree with everything said so far.

VB is too expensive.

phpBB is OK at best...but soon as your members get active, the site/database bogs WAY down. My site was barely usable, and I dont have very many members at all.

Soon as I converted to Invision, my site was fast as lightning, not to mention it is alot better looking and easier to use. The members enjoy its features much more too.

I did a google search for "free download invision" and thats how I got the older free version.

I will be upgrading to 2.0 soon as Adsense pays out :D

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You might want to say whether you are looking specifically for Mac OS X-based forum software or whether Windows-based software would suit your needs too.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Doctor Q said:
You might want to say whether you are looking specifically for Mac OS X-based forum software or whether Windows-based software would suit your needs too.

Don't you mean what language? With exception of .NET (ASP or C#), there aren't too many that are platform dependant.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 17, 2004
Doctor Q said:

Well... right now I would like to host it on my iMac. I just now signed up an http://www.no-ip.com so...

Anyway, thanks for your advise, everyone! I'll looking into some of them and if I need help, I'll post again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.