Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Well now that we know we are probably getting some new touchscreen iPod tomorrow, regardless of what name it holds, I guess things look grim for the click wheel and tactile feel in general.

I think Apple is really running touchscreens into the ground, and going too far with them. While true, Apple's touchscreens are probably the best, there is such a thing as overkill.

Look at their products--you have the iPhone, the iPod touch, the iPad, now it's looking like yet another touchscreen iPod, and did you see that patent for a touchscreen iMac the other day? Jesus Christ.

God just stop with the touchscreens Apple, you're running them into the ground. The sleekness of them is just ruined with all the nasty fingerprints that get all over them no matter how clean your hands are...

...and besides, touchscreens are so 1996 internet kiosk.

Don't go too far with touchscreens, Apple and create an era we look back on 20 years from now as "that quirky era where Apple made everything a touchscreen just because."

/rant

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
Don't like em? Don't buy them. How hard was that? If the market does not seem to approve then Apple should figure something out

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Nice rant. However, touchscreens are the future. That is until floating thin air screens are made...

Secruoser

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
No. I want to experience this in my lifetime:

touchcomputing.jpg

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Yeah. If it is a shuffle type thing/shuffle replacement, then I think it would be brilliant. As a nano, I think that is a very big step backwards, especially being a very small, square screen. Are they getting rid of video capability?

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Touch screens are appearing everywhere now, and if something doesn't have a touch screen on a PMP almost all of them have touchpads or touch sensitive controls. Its the future, we have to go with it. Just like we went from everything else.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
It will be interesting to see what tune everyone sings when OS X becomes severely crippled just so it can be merged with iOS on your touchscreen iMacs just so Steve Jobs can eliminate a keyboard from your desk in the name of vanity...

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
It will be interesting to see what tune everyone sings when OS X becomes severely crippled just so it can be merged with iOS on your touchscreen iMacs just so Steve Jobs can eliminate a keyboard from your desk in the name of vanity...

That will be the day I switch back to windows. But, honestly, the iMac is really the only computer they could reasonably do that with - maybe the MBP, but that's still not likely as it would delete the AG option. I think the touchscreen device will likely be iMac-like, but not replacing the iMac.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco

What exactly is your problem with touch screens? Have you used the Blackberry Storm? You should be bitching at RIM about the BB Torch not on MRumors whining about how Apple shouldn't release another great product.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
My problem with touchscreens? They are horrible, absolutely horrible to use due to a lack of tactile feel. I had an original iPod touch. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, for a few months, until I realized what a pain in the ass it was to have to take it out of my pocket every single time I wanted to do something on it, and at that it often is easier to do stuff on it with both hands instead of one. Plus they are always visibly filthy, clean hands or not which doesn't bode well for neat freaks like myself.

Absolutely can't stand them, so I sold that iPod off.

I love iPods, and I actually love iTunes, and I can't ever see myself going to a non-Apple player, which is why I really don't like touchscreens encroaching heavily on my music experience, or should I say the soon-to-be lack of choice if I want an Apple music player; it may not happen tomorrow, but the writing's on the wall--Apple is going exclusively touchscreen in the coming years and for a lot of us who can't stand the extra pain in the assness of touchscreens, we don't like it.

EDIT: "great product" to you--not to me.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

Umm, you never bothered to actually look at the details of that patent did you?

6a0120a5580826970c0134866887f0970c-800wi

Note what's present in the lower left quarter of the image... why it seems to be a keyboard, fancy that. And note the top of the image... 'OS X Mode'. Well, ain't that a shocker?

I will never understand why people are under the impression that Apple are stupid. Here we have a company that is utterly obsessed with interface design and yet some seem to think they're going to force everyone on to touch screen devices just because... well, why exactly? Some tasks work better with a touch screen, some work better with a keyboard and Apple aren't going to throw away a better solution for a worse one without a damn good reason. In this case you get your iMac, just as it is now, for business work, long typing, detailed graphics work, whatever you want. But when you want the added benefits of a touchscreen it flips down, moves towards you (thus solving the big problem with existing touchscreen desktops btw) and off you go. Certainly the best solution that I've seen for actually making touch useful on the desktop if they decide to go that way and, because Apple had the foresight to build iOS on the core of OS X, it becomes relatively easy to integrate the two into something that works for both regular AND power users.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
No, what the above is is Apple telling you what you need and making something more complicated than it needs to be, and you're buying it hook, line, and sinker. Touch screen macs, dual functioning ones at that, are retarded and completely unnecesary. If you can't work point and click, you've got problems and should get off the computer.

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

People always think in extremes. OS-es in general have only evolved to become better and more user oriented (with the exception of Vista, my personal reason for switching three years ago). I would not like to see OS X crippled either, but what makes you think Apple will do that? If I remember correctly the patent stated that when the user tilts the screen a touch enabled skin is activated to enable more touch oriented user input. In the normal orientation you would have the full OS.

And still. What IF Apple would replace OS X with an even more sleek and user oriented iOS iteration? I´m sure a vast majority of users would love that (and I know most users here would hate it but again, the people here are not the default or run of the mill MAC user.. ).

haters gonna hate I guess...

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
No, what the above is is Apple telling you what you need and making something more complicated than it needs to be, and you're buying it hook, line, and sinker. Touch screen macs, dual functioning ones at that, are retarded and completely unnecesary. If you can't work point and click, you've got problems and should get off the computer.

It might be retarded from your point of view, but have you ever considered that maybe there are people that have a view or wishes that are different than yours?

You can bet that Apple will not do this if the majority of the people think this is retarded. Apple DOES do market research. Tough for you I guess that you appear not to be Apple´s target market...

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
The iPods are all able to be controlled via the earphones now. Not sure why you have to take it out of your pocket any more often than one with a click wheel.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
True, but the remote is absolutely terrible. I've had several pairs, including the ones I'm using at this moment, but none of them are any good.

The shuffle didn't get voted worst iPod ever because it had fantastic controls on the remote to control the buttonless device...

You shouldn't have to go third party for a solution, either.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
True, but the remote is absolutely terrible. I've had several pairs, including the ones I'm using at this moment, but none of them are any good.

The shuffle didn't get voted worst iPod ever because it had fantastic controls on the remote to control the buttonless device...

You shouldn't have to go third party for a solution, either.

I had some issues with the early remotes...as in they didn't react well to sweat. But they've let me exchange them for new ones, which are much improved.

Personally, I find the controls on the earphones more accessible than even a clickwheel. I don't have to dig in my pocket to even mess with the iPod.

smiddlehurst

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2007

Uh, you are aware that touchscreens are actually BETTER at some tasks than a keyboard / mouse combo right? Either from a functional perspective (quick example: digital mixing desk) or from an entertainment one. The second one is hard to describe but browsing on the iPad is a good example, technically it's no 'easier' than keyboard / mouse but when you're actually using it it feels so much better somehow, primarily because you've removed that abstraction layer.

I'm not even going to bother addressing your second point except to say this: People who think that computers are 'easy' don't live in the real world. Yes, if you understand them and are interested enough to learn how they work then they're simple as hell but the vast majority of people treat them as the commodity item they have become and we (the IT community as a whole) need to start realising that the next great push in computer development is going to come from, uh, let's call it 'consumer computing' as opposed to the business computing model that's supported the industry up to now.

puma1552

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
People always think in extremes. OS-es in general have only evolved to become better and more user oriented. I would not like to see OS X crippled either, but what makes you think Apple will do that? If I remember correctly the patent stated that when the user tilts the screen a touch enabled skin is activated to enable more touch oriented user input. In the normal orientation you would have the full OS.

Because Apple has been showing an increasing trend to move away from true professionals towards mainstream consumers. Apple's own comments on turning FCP from a true balls-to-the-wall professional application to a 'prosumer' application is a big sign. Open up the MBP forums and everyone complains how Apple no longer caters to professionals and keeps alienating professionals for mainstream consumers, etc. I think the patent above is the first step in a transition phase to move entirely away from OS X; sure they can't just dump OS X overnight, but they would begin a drawn out migration to iOS--the patent above is a gateway product, so-to-speak. I don't think it's the end result of what Apple envisions for the next 20 years or so.

And still. What IF Apple would replace OS X with an even more sleek and user oriented iOS iteration? I´m sure a vast majority of users would love that (and I know most users here would hate it but again, the people here are not the default or run of the mill MAC user.. ).

Again it just comes down to why keep reinventing the wheel?

It might be retarded from your point of view, but have you ever considered that maybe there are people that have a view or wishes that are different than yours?

You can bet that Apple will not do this if the majority of the people think this is retarded. Apple DOES do market research. Tough for you I guess that you appear not to be Apple´s target market...

Likewise, my opinion may differ from those of others'. Not everyone's gonna bow down to anything Steve Jobs tells them they need or want. Their market research surely should take that into account as well. ;)

I had some issues with the early remotes...as in they didn't react well to sweat. But they've let me exchange them for new ones, which are much improved.

Personally, I find the controls on the earphones more accessible than even a clickwheel. I don't have to dig in my pocket to even mess with the iPod.

Same with the sweat issue, I've given up on using it to work out. I want to love the remote, I really do, but so often it fails to register clicks, then I have to ultimately take the iPod out and see where exactly I am compared to where I wanted to be.

You really need to get some.

Was this really worth hitting reply?:rolleyes:

Uh, you are aware that touchscreens are actually BETTER at some tasks than a keyboard / mouse combo right? Either from a functional perspective (quick example: digital mixing desk) or from an entertainment one. The second one is hard to describe but browsing on the iPad is a good example, technically it's no 'easier' than keyboard / mouse but when you're actually using it it feels so much better somehow, primarily because you've removed that abstraction layer.

I'm not even going to bother addressing your second point except to say this: People who think that computers are 'easy' don't live in the real world. Yes, if you understand them and are interested enough to learn how they work then they're simple as hell but the vast majority of people treat them as the commodity item they have become and we (the IT community as a whole) need to start realising that the next great push in computer development is going to come from, uh, let's call it 'consumer computing' as opposed to the business computing model that's supported the industry up to now.

Don't get me wrong I understand the idea of an extra layer (keyboard/mouse), and doing without it, but I just don't see that it really is much of a step forward. Look how far we've gotten without touchscreens; virtually nothing today has been possible strictly due to the advent of touchscreens. IMO, if you are big enough to need to do some serious mixing, you probably already have a dedicated niche product that blows anything out of the water that Apple could provide in a multi-purpose consumer product--much the same as those photographers who run off multi-thousand dollar color correct Eizos rather than going into the MBP forum and complaining that the glossy screen isn't good enough for professional photography.

I don't know, I just really, really don't care for touchscreens (been there done that with an iPhone and an iPod so I'm no stranger to them), and those aside I don't like the whole direction Apple is going with the whole iOS proliferation and how it almost certainly will encroach heavily on OS X until we have a blend of OS X and iOS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.