Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:03 PM   #1
roidy
macrumors 6502a

New ATV rental only!!!!

Well that sucks, no more buying your content on the ATV as the new one is rental only.
roidy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:04 PM   #2
stridemat

You could buy on you computer and then stream to the ATV.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:05 PM   #3
anim8or
macrumors 65816

Its not the end of the world.... so you have to stream, no biggie!????
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:07 PM   #4
NightStorm
macrumors 68000

I hate the fact they have moved personal content back under a "Computers" tab instead of under "Movies" or "TV Shows" on the main menu. This is a step backwards (it was this way in the early OS I believe).

Netgear ReadyNAS Ultra 4+ (4x2TB)
NightStorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:09 PM   #5
roidy
macrumors 6502a

The whole point of the ATV for me was so I could sit on the couch and browse and purchase my movies instead of having to do it at a computer.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:15 PM   #6
liketearsinrain
macrumors newbie

I really liked the presentation today, the iPhone/iPod touch games, the iTunes, the new iPods, but felt really a kind of stale fizz at the Apple TV thing... my video stream cut out just when he said 'rental only' so can anyone clarify, can I still buy shows for my Apple TV old gen?

I don't buy too many series, but when I do I buy to own so I can watch again. This new model is a step back for me. But I am hoping I can still buy <fingers crossed>. They spoke to Apple TV owners... I didn't get asked ;-)
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:17 PM   #7
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
Can't wait to take one apart and see how I can "improve" it.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:17 PM   #8
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by roidy View Post
The whole point of the ATV for me was so I could sit on the couch and browse and purchase my movies instead of having to do it at a computer.
Apparently you were in the minority of AppleTV owners that ever figured out how to sync an AppleTV with a computer.

At least, since they've forced future AppleTV owners into rentals, the AppleTV rentals are less expensive now!
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:17 PM   #9
boston04and07
macrumors 6502a

I'm confused. So what about TV shows and movies that aren't available to be rented yet? Is there no Buy option even for those things? Do they just not show up in the store on the Apple TV?
boston04and07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:18 PM   #10
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cave Man View Post
And this is why you're on my BL here at MR!
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:21 PM   #11
drewc1138
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketearsinrain View Post
I really liked the presentation today, the iPhone/iPod touch games, the iTunes, the new iPods, but felt really a kind of stale fizz at the Apple TV thing... my video stream cut out just when he said 'rental only' so can anyone clarify, can I still buy shows for my Apple TV old gen?

I don't buy too many series, but when I do I buy to own so I can watch again. This new model is a step back for me. But I am hoping I can still buy <fingers crossed>. They spoke to Apple TV owners... I didn't get asked ;-)
They were really unclear about a lot of stuff on this one. I'm the same way...I can see renting some shows, but there are some that I want to buy. If I see an episode that I really enjoy, I may want to watch it several times. Or, like you said, I may want to purchase a season.
drewc1138 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:22 PM   #12
roidy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Yep, here's hoping it's hacked quickly and is powerful enough to run XBMC better than the old one.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:22 PM   #13
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65832

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
I do love the new ATV, BUTTT, at times I really do prefer to sync to ATV, especially if I'm streaming a rather large movie that is experiencing stuttering.. Syncing the movie to the current ATV resolves the whole stutter issue.. hmmm, decisions, decisions..
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:23 PM   #14
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Tech specs are up, if anyone's interested:
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:24 PM   #15
colinmack
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStorm View Post
I hate the fact they have moved personal content back under a "Computers" tab instead of under "Movies" or "TV Shows" on the main menu. This is a step backwards (it was this way in the early OS I believe).

Yup - I'm actually quite surprised, I'm struggling with how this is anything but a downgrade from the current device. I've archived my entire DVD library, and it would now be pulled completely out of the main Movies section? That's just...daft.

I mean come on - have an option to set a default computer, and integrate "My Movies" or "My TV Shows" menu items into the movies/TV sections if they're available.

What, did they hand the menu/UI changes to a bunch of co-op students?
colinmack is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:25 PM   #16
Diveflo
macrumors regular

Shouldn't that thing run 1080p fine with the A4 chip? =(
Diveflo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:29 PM   #17
roidy
macrumors 6502a

So the only major improvement on the specs is 720p@30fps.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:30 PM   #18
karlmitchell
macrumors newbie

I really can't see this business model working. $4.99 for movie rentals and $0.99 for TV show rentals is too much, and to only have FOX and ABC signed up in the US at launch is very bad news; include Showtime and HBO and it might have added something. And from what I can tell, I can't even access purchased content on the cloud without streaming from a local computer/device.

A parallel ad-supported model, like hulu+ in the US, might have worked. Alternatively, simply an app-based system like iPhone/iPod. In any case, even for $99 I don't see how this would fit into my system. Most of the things I'd want to do involve steaming from a computer to it, and that's just messy (and wasteful).

-k
karlmitchell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:31 PM   #19
David R
macrumors 6502

As long as they keep letting the current AppleTVs purchase content, then I'm happy keeping my old, but more powerful, device until the day it dies.
David R is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:32 PM   #20
Richard Marklew
macrumors newbie

The UK Apple TV site has got the section about TV rentals missing. Looks like only cheaper TV rentals in US
Richard Marklew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:35 PM   #21
eleven59
macrumors regular

all i was hoping for was to not have to maintain and continue to upgrade a home itunes server for ANY purchased itunes content.... unless i missed something
eleven59 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 01:41 PM   #22
ksmith80209
macrumors 6502a

The major problem with this as I see it is that if you use your laptop as the "streaming machine" to get content off an external drive, you've got a bit of an issue when that laptop isn't hooked up. For example, what I like about the current AppleTV is that even when I travel, my kids can watch their movies. With the new one, what do they do - rent them?
ksmith80209 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:14 PM   #23
rorschach
macrumors 68000

And there will now be LESS content! A big step backwards.

-Rentals-only means ONLY ABC & Fox shows can be downloaded directly from the Apple TV right now.

-Rentals-only also means all those movies that aren't available to rent...can't download those either. No option to buy if you wanted to.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:16 PM   #24
Cave Man
macrumors 604

Location: Neander Valley, Germany; just outside of Duesseldorf
I suspect you can still buy them on your Mac/PC and stream to the ATV.
Old Sep 1, 2010, 06:44 PM   #25
paduck
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I don't see a lot of opportunity to enhance it - unless they kindly leave a SATA connection in there. I suppose the continued existence of a USB port might present some possibilities.

This just reinforces my goal of getting some sort of low-powered home (media) storage. It could push iTunes and Time Machine. Apple has no real option for expandable storage. It doesn't fit with their closed storage philosophy (they don't really make devices that allow you to upgrade the storage). In the meantime, they have products like iPads, iPods and AppleTVs that really need some sort of centralized storage - especially if your house might have more than one computer.

I'm sure I can build a nice little server myself as a project.

Paul

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater