Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:30 PM   #1
PilotWoo
macrumors regular

New ATV - Photo Screensaver?

If the new ATV doesn't sync photos any more, does that mean that the screensaver will only display photos when iTunes is running on my mac, or will it cache? I like leaving the screensaver on when family are round as makes my TV a giant photo frame.
PilotWoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:31 PM   #2
FSUSem1noles
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to FSUSem1noles
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotWoo View Post
If the new ATV doesn't sync photos any more, does that mean that the screensaver will only display photos when iTunes is running on my mac, or will it cache? I like leaving the screensaver on when family are round as makes my TV a giant photo frame.
It would probably still stream them, for example our photo screensaver pulls photos from my MobileMe photo album... none of the photos are actually stored on the ATV unit.. Another benefit to that is, even if the computer is off, it still will display my screensaver on the TV..
Old Sep 1, 2010, 02:49 PM   #3
PilotWoo
macrumors regular

I dont upload photos to the web, so I guess it won't work. Hmm. I guess i'll find out in 4 weeks!
PilotWoo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 04:00 PM   #4
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Because there's no onboard storage, I doubt the screen saver will even allow you to stream photos from a Mac or PC. Many people have laptops these days. Once it goes to sleep, you'd lose the connection.

As suggested above, I'd upload some photos to a free Flickr account using iPhoto or Aperture and point AppleTV's screensaver to that.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater