Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:25 PM   #1
vslo
macrumors regular

Will I be able to use the new Apple TV OS in old apple tv's ?

As the title says, I got an 160GB Apple tv. Will I be able to use the new software ? Rent movies and shows ? Will it need any kind of upgrade ?
Thank you!
vslo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:29 PM   #2
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by vslo View Post
As the title says, I got an 160GB Apple tv. Will I be able to use the new software ? Rent movies and shows ? Will it need any kind of upgrade ?
Thank you!
I believe the general feeling is the new OS won't be backwards compatible as the new TV uses an A4 processor vs. an old Intel chip in the first gen TV. I thought I read somewhere that the TV OS is probably another variant of iOS skinned to look like the old version.

Someone here with more expertise--please correct me if I'm wrong.
tbayrgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:32 PM   #3
vslo
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbayrgs View Post
I believe the general feeling is the new OS won't be backwards compatible as the new TV uses an A4 processor vs. an old Intel chip in the first gen TV. I thought I read somewhere that the TV OS is probably another variant of iOS skinned to look like the old version.

Someone here with more expertise--please correct me if I'm wrong.
I really hope you're wrong, because I do like the storage, dont have the fastest internet in thr world, and there is only digital audio output there, I need an analog one to my stereo.
vslo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 05:42 PM   #4
PsyD4Me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by vslo View Post
Thank you!
i'm in the same boat, only I have an upgraded 320GB drive and have plenty of material on it. I think apple knows that many folks keep their content on Apple TV's, so they have to make this backward compatible...
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:35 PM   #5
McCoolade
macrumors newbie

...and let's hope the new OS eliminates the issue of deleting content

I'm another close watcher of the answer to this question - only because I hope Mac takes the opportunity to fix an annoying software bug that they have been determinedly ignoring up to now. One assumes that it will still be possible to purchase content to retain and watch multiple times. In which case, one assumes that will be stored on a source mac or PC running iTunes. If so, then my hope is that they fix the damn bug that causes TV show episodes to simply disappear after they have been downloaded.
McCoolade is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2010, 11:52 PM   #6
spencecb
macrumors 6502a

I'm not certain as to the correct answer, but is it really an issue if you can store the content on the TV or not? Isn't all your content also stored in iTunes on your Mac or PC?

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater