Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vslo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
As the title says, I got an 160GB Apple tv. Will I be able to use the new software ? Rent movies and shows ? Will it need any kind of upgrade ?
Thank you!

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
As the title says, I got an 160GB Apple tv. Will I be able to use the new software ? Rent movies and shows ? Will it need any kind of upgrade ?
Thank you!

I believe the general feeling is the new OS won't be backwards compatible as the new :apple:TV uses an A4 processor vs. an old Intel chip in the first gen :apple:TV. I thought I read somewhere that the :apple:TV OS is probably another variant of iOS skinned to look like the old version.

Someone here with more expertise--please correct me if I'm wrong.

vslo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
I believe the general feeling is the new OS won't be backwards compatible as the new :apple:TV uses an A4 processor vs. an old Intel chip in the first gen :apple:TV. I thought I read somewhere that the :apple:TV OS is probably another variant of iOS skinned to look like the old version.

Someone here with more expertise--please correct me if I'm wrong.

I really hope you're wrong, because I do like the storage, dont have the fastest internet in thr world, and there is only digital audio output there, I need an analog one to my stereo.

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
Thank you!

i'm in the same boat, only I have an upgraded 320GB drive and have plenty of material on it. I think apple knows that many folks keep their content on Apple TV's, so they have to make this backward compatible...

McCoolade

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
...and let's hope the new OS eliminates the issue of deleting content

I'm another close watcher of the answer to this question - only because I hope Mac takes the opportunity to fix an annoying software bug that they have been determinedly ignoring up to now. One assumes that it will still be possible to purchase content to retain and watch multiple times. In which case, one assumes that will be stored on a source mac or PC running iTunes. If so, then my hope is that they fix the damn bug that causes TV show episodes to simply disappear after they have been downloaded.

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I'm not certain as to the correct answer, but is it really an issue if you can store the content on the :apple:TV or not? Isn't all your content also stored in iTunes on your Mac or PC?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.