Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:05 AM   #1
paddyhazard
macrumors regular

iTunes media question for apple tv problem

As the new apple tv is unlikely to pick up media from my Western Digital MyBook NAS, or to allow plex to run to play all of my media (at least until it's hacked) I'm thinking i might just transfer all my avi movies and tv shows to m4v (optimised for the apple tv) so i can use itunes and front row instead of plex for my main media server. I've got nearly 1TB so i'll do it on my mac pro at work in batches to avoid killing my personal mbp!

My problem now is that I have itunes copy all of my media into an itunes folder but that's just because i only use it for music. Is there anyway i can keep that setting for music and allow itunes just to reference all my video media from my NAS? If not i might have to just re-locate my whole itunes media folder to my NAS but that means i cant listen to music or update iphone apps without being at home and connected to my network.

At the moment i just plug my mbp into my tv to watch movies and stuff but it involves removing the adaptor from my screen, moving the power adaptor, leaving a set of speakers next to my tv (as minidisplay port doesn't do audio) and messing around with leads at the back of the tv so i'd really want a great home theatre set up and a mac mini is too much.

Thanks
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:34 AM   #2
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

It seems to me that you can simply mount the NAS to your computer - locate your iTunes library on the NAS - then browse the iTunes library from aTV. The NAS should be the same as if the iTunes library was on an internal HDD.

iTunes then streams to aTV...

No?
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:44 AM   #3
paddyhazard
macrumors regular

Yea that would work fine for streaming content to the apple tv but isn't quite perfect as i'd like to have my music automatically stored locally and my video files on my nas so i can carry my music with me on my laptop for outside of my home network (and if i don't want to connect to my home nas externally)

Thinking about it, a small WD like nas that runs itunes or shows up as itunes media would be perfect. Does anyone know of an itunes capable nas that isn't an expensive mac mini? Maybe one of those cheaper dell mini copys.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 03:48 AM   #4
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Maybe make your own?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeNAS

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater