Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reddkryten

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Hi there.

Quick question. During the music event, HDR photography was demoed. It was stated that the iPod and iPad could view HDR files, but does anyone know if the iPod's camera can actually take HDR photographs (without a third party app?)

Thanks in advance.

pavenger

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2008
Spokane, WA USA
There are no specific HDR files, they would probably be recorded as .JPEGs and viewed as such. My assumption based on what jobs said is that the iPod will make HDR photos in that the iPod will snap the 3 bracketed photos at different exposures then stitch them together in-camera to produce the end result. When he mentioned the iPad, I was a little perplexed, I think this may be a hint to future cameras on the iPad.

MaCamZa

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2010
England, United Kingdom
I don't think it will be available on the touch, if you look at the iOS4.1 feature list it is mentioned for the iPhone 4 but not for the iPod touch 4g.

iOS4 is designed for all iOS devices, hence "iPod Touch 4", and seeing as it is fully upgraded with all the camera features and Facetime, then i expect it will be available to iPod Touch.

EDIT: It is "Coming Soon" to iPod Touch 4 according to the Software Update page on Apple.

tadad1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2008
iOS4 is designed for all iOS devices, hence "iPod Touch 4", and seeing as it is fully upgraded with all the camera features and Facetime, then i expect it will be available to iPod Touch.

EDIT: It is "Coming Soon" to iPod Touch 4 according to the Software Update page on Apple.

iOS 4.1 is coming soon but it mentions nothing about HDR photography in the 4.1 features list for iPod Touch, however for the iPhone 4 it gets a huge plug.

capturekds.jpg

I think if the iPod touch 4G was getting the HDR feature with iOS4.1 Apple would be pushing the fact.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.