Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 2, 2010, 08:22 PM   #1
dizzy130
macrumors member

Streaming movies & effect on computer speed

I'm thinking of getting a new Apple TV. I'm not really interested in renting movies most of the time, I'd rather stream from my own collection or Netflix. My question is, does streaming through your computer slow it down a lot? The movies are all on an external drive and I have a 3 year old Macbook with the basic specs. I know the computer has to be on, but does itunes have to be running? If I try to write a paper on Word and run Chrome and stream a movie all at the same time, will that be too much for it?

Obviously no one has experience with the new Apple TV, and every computer is different, just looking for other folks' experience with streaming to from their computers to the old Apple TV and the effect on the computer you're streaming from.
dizzy130 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater