Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Hello I am asking myself if it will be possible to stream music from my iOS device directly to the new Apple TV or an Airplay station (formerly Airport Express) - so no Itunes in between.

Example:
Iphone 4.1 (music on Iphone) stream to Airplay in the kittchen.

Thanks.

marcel500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Ok, so you are saying I can stream from my Iphone straight to airplay/Airport Express without having Itunes in between?

From which iOS version will this be possible? iOS 4.1 ?

MacbookAlum1536

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
First of all the current Remote App only controls Apple TV and doesn't stream anything.
Second, Airplay will allow you to stream music and video to your Apple TV so long as your iDevice has iOS 4.2 (Set for November Release)
Thirdly, no iTunes will not be a necessary middle man for Airplay.

Your Welcome and here's a link. (Feature is at the bottom of the page.)
http://www.apple.com/appletv/

marcel500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Second, Airplay will allow you to stream music and video to your Apple TV so long as your iDevice has iOS 4.2 (Set for November Release)

What about streaming to Airplay (Airport Express) directly?

marcel500

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
Again:

Can I stream music from my Iphone directly to Airport Express (now Airplay) without having Itunes in between?

What I understood is, that it might be possible but not sure.

jonessodarally

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
Folks, I've got the same question as the OP and nobody seems to be understanding the question:

I have music on my iPhone.

I want to listen to that music in my house sound system.

Can I connect that sound system to an AirPort Express audio jack, and send an audio stream from my iPhone directly to that AirPort Express over WiFi?

Currently, AirTunes only supports this 'sending an audio stream' feature from iTunes on a computer. iOS devices don't work as the source of audio.

Nothing about this question involves the new AppleTV (this forum section is called "Apple TV and Home Theater") or the iPhone's ability to remote control a different source. :rolleyes:

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Folks, I've got the same question as the OP and nobody seems to be understanding the question:

I have music on my iPhone.

I want to listen to that music in my house sound system.

Can I connect that sound system to an AirPort Express audio jack, and send an audio stream from my iPhone directly to that AirPort Express over WiFi?

Currently, AirTunes only supports this 'sending an audio stream' feature from iTunes on a computer. iOS devices don't work as the source of audio.

Nothing about this question involves the new AppleTV (this forum section is called "Apple TV and Home Theater") or the iPhone's ability to remote control a different source. :rolleyes:

I believe this will be the case when the iphone/ipad recieve 4.2. You should be able to stream directly from the iphone/ipad to a airport express or a "airplay" capable stereo that most likely be coming out. iHome just put some information out today about it.

The real question is, can it play Pandora in the background over Airplay or are we stuck with whatever is in your library. Make good on it Apple...and you will sell millions of iDevices.

jonessodarally

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
I believe this will be the case when the iphone/ipad recieve 4.2. You should be able to stream directly from the iphone/ipad to a airport express or a "airplay" capable stereo that most likely be coming out. iHome just put some information out today about it.

The real question is, can it play Pandora in the background over Airplay or are we stuck with whatever is in your library. Make good on it Apple...and you will sell millions of iDevices.

Oooh... that would be excellent.

FrancisD

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2010
This (airplay) is probably the killer feature for the appleTV, and to a certain extent the airport express.

Being able to switch from watching/listening to content on my iOS device to listening via my various systems around the house is extremely compelling for me. Using the existing remote app is clunky at best on iOS devices, so this looks to be a real leap forward in usability.

The part that I'm curious about is whether that will extend to streaming content via the web, or just content that's local (sync'd) to the iOS device. For example, if I'm watching a video on some site like Lifehacker on my iPad, in theory airplay should allow me to stream that to one of my aTV's.

it will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I know a lot of people are bent out of shape over things like no 1080p and tv show rentals vs purchasing, etc... But for me the main use case has to do with how these devices work together (desktop/laptop, airport express, aTV, iPad/iPhone/iTouch). This looks like a great step in the right direction.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
There is some rampant speculation here. Did Apple indicate that two year old Airport Express will be Airplay compatible?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
There is some rampant speculation here. Did Apple indicate that two year old Airport Express will be Airplay compatible?

The 4.2 page says:

"Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express

I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple ships a firmware update for the current model AirPort Express (802.11n) around the same time as 4.2.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
The 4.2 page says:

"Wirelessly stream videos, music, and photos from iPad to the new Apple TV, and stream music to AirPlay speakers or receivers, including AirPort Express

I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple ships a firmware update for the current model AirPort Express (802.11n) around the same time as 4.2.

Thank you, I have a wasted Express that will find new life.

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
Do you think it's possible to stream content from an iOS Device to a Mac running itunes instead of an AppleTV? I'd like to stream content from my ipad to the htpc-mac-mini at my gf house.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.