Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EGLiMac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
Like everyone else on earth I am trying to get my new system ordered before the itouch rebates end. I am pretty sure i want the 27". My home office is also the spare bedroom so the big iMac would be great to watch movies on in that room.
Apple seems to be the master of for a few dollars more upgrade marketing. The question is how many of those upgrades do I need?
The computer I am replacing is a 7 year old high end vaio desktop that has been reliable but is showing its age.

My usage is as follows, general home use, gaming, home video editing, extensive photography, application and web programming (i am a java developer). i will be installing windows (probably xp) just for my favorite old games and possibly quicken.

I am currently leaning towards getting the base model 27" with the upgrade to the faster gpu. this would be 1734 + tax with the education discount. Add in the iTouch and printer rebates and it is a lot of gear for right around 2000 dollars. Has anyone out there run this configuration?

My thinking is that I don't really need the 4 core and the extra heat that comes with them. Also from my casual reading it seems like the 4 cores may have more reliability problems. I am also thinking that most of the higher end models bang for the buck when it comes to gaming is due to the gpu and not the faster processor.

My system will be build to order anyways as I have to have a numeric keypad.
I realize that the base model quad core is only 160 more but once I get there it becomes too easy to go all out i7.... I am thinking that $160 could be better used on a trackpad and a copy of xp for bootcamp.

Any help is appreciated.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
160$ for significantly faster CPU should be no brainer. It doesn't add that much heat so it would be a problem or be more unreliable. You seem to keep your computers for long time so I wouldn't bitch about hundred or two, they are worth it in the long run

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.