G5 fans run full speed all the time, what to do? - MacRumors Forums
Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:32 PM   #1
btc
macrumors member

G5 fans run full speed all the time, what to do?

My step-son works for a company that uses a variety of computers in their test dept. and when they upgraded the test equipment they gave the old stuff to employees.

My step-son is a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy who doesn't care for Macs so when he saw a G5 PPC sitting there he took it home and gave it to me.

It's a 2.0 GHz dual-processor with 8x AGP video. I checked it out and the only thing "wrong" with it is that someone has set up the fans, all of them, to run full-speed all the time.

First, how did they most likely do that and, second, how can I return the fans to their normal operation. This can't be good for the computer and it's so loud and annoying that I'd rather use my G4.

It's a great computer otherwise, I hope they didn't do something permanent that would require a new motherboard, that's not in my budget.

Help me out here.

Jim
btc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2010, 08:38 PM   #2
kbfr08
macrumors 6502

First, If the red light is on, ensure that the plastic air deflector is installed properly.

Press the reset button on the motherboard
-and-
Boot the machine and press Command + Option + P + r
-if that doesn't work-
Hold the power button down until you hear a long beep.
-if that doesn't work-
You'll need to calibrate the fans in Apple Service Diagnostic.
-if that doesn't work-
Your temperature sensor is busted, unplug the drive bay temperature sensor and reboot. Other than that, I think the only fix is a new motherboard.
kbfr08 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 03:28 PM   #3
green86
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by btc View Post
My step-son works for a company that uses a variety of computers in their test dept. and when they upgraded the test equipment they gave the old stuff to employees.

My step-son is a dyed-in-the-wool PC guy who doesn't care for Macs so when he saw a G5 PPC sitting there he took it home and gave it to me.

It's a 2.0 GHz dual-processor with 8x AGP video. I checked it out and the only thing "wrong" with it is that someone has set up the fans, all of them, to run full-speed all the time.

First, how did they most likely do that and, second, how can I return the fans to their normal operation. This can't be good for the computer and it's so loud and annoying that I'd rather use my G4.

It's a great computer otherwise, I hope they didn't do something permanent that would require a new motherboard, that's not in my budget.

Help me out here.

Jim
There is no way to set the speed of the fans on a G5. Check to see if there is a red light on on the motherboard itself is on like the poster above me said. There is a plastic, clear air deflector installed when you open the case, correct?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 06:03 AM   #4
GyroFX
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to GyroFX Send a message via Yahoo to GyroFX
try putting sleep to "never". Then restart the computer.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 09:37 AM   #5
Graeme43
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Graeme43 Send a message via MSN to Graeme43 Send a message via Yahoo to Graeme43 Send a message via Skype™ to Graeme43
You could get a temp monitor app and see if any of the sensors are reading something unusual
Graeme43 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:04 PM   #6
disconap
macrumors 68000

Even if the deflector is in place you may still have it to blame. Take the deflector out (the gigantic piece of clear plastic inside the case) and look at the lower right-hand tab (on the bottom, slots into place). There SHOULD be a sticker there; this is what blocks the sensor and tells the machine that the case is assembled. If this sticker is missing, cover the tab on the machine facing site with some duct tape. Problem (possibly) solved.
disconap is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs