Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 4, 2010, 02:48 AM   #1
yodaxl7
macrumors 6502a

Prediction: app store on aTV will happen when NC data center

I suspect Steve wanted to sell these aTV now before Google or anyone else's box take off. Plus, Apple data center is not ready yet. Apple did put a4 chip in it. It is base off the ios ecosystem. Sure, there is no harddrive. It will all be in the cloud. First phase, we'll stream stuff from iphone, ipod, ipad, mac to the aTV. Other networks may join via apps on iphone, ipod,ipad later as rentals or subscriptions. Then, apple will deploy its app store for the apple tv plus some other accessories. That will be phase 2.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:46 AM   #2
Scuby
macrumors regular

Flawless logic...

Except streaming TV shows / movies - which is initial functionality - requires lots of data centre capacity. Downloading apps, which use local storage or access the internet directly, require pretty much zero data centre capacity.

Also, unless the Apple TV has quite a lot of internal storage, so that there's a lot spare for apps as well as cacheing TV / movies, then you won't have space to install apps even if they wanted to change the software to allow it.

David
Scuby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:23 PM   #3
yodaxl7
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuby View Post
Flawless logic...

Except streaming TV shows / movies - which is initial functionality - requires lots of data centre capacity. Downloading apps, which use local storage or access the internet directly, require pretty much zero data centre capacity.

Also, unless the Apple TV has quite a lot of internal storage, so that there's a lot spare for apps as well as cacheing TV / movies, then you won't have space to install apps even if they wanted to change the software to allow it.

David
sure! But there is the micro USB. Maybe apple will sell mini flash drive with the app store.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:27 PM   #4
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a

Prediction: This new Apple TV will *never* run apps. It has very little, very little onboard memory, just enough for buffering the rental and home video streams and so would have very little space to store apps.

Predication: There *may* be some hope of what people believe will be an expansion of the new Airplay. Perhaps in 2011 they will allow Airplay to extend to 3rd party apps so Hulu on your iPhone/iPad can stream video to the Apple TV, or perhaps a game could stream its video to your TV etc. The handheld would "host" the game and the Apple TV would just stream the image. This still is only a "hope" and we all saw how our "hope" for iOS and Apps on the Apple TV turned out...
canyonblue737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
jaykk
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to jaykk Send a message via MSN to jaykk Send a message via Yahoo to jaykk
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post
The handheld would "host" the game and the Apple TV would just stream the image. This still is only a "hope" and we all saw how our "hope" for iOS and Apps on the Apple TV turned out...
thats what most game developers thinking too .. Airplay is going to be a big hit.

"And Capps looks into the future, and sees even more possibilities for Apple and their product lines. "It doesn't take a whole lot of leaps of faith to say, 'Right now, I can display from my iPad to my Apple TV on a big screen TV.' How far away are we from 'that's my game console, and it's displaying wirelessly to my television set?' It's not far away." - Epic's Mike Capps

Original TUAW article -> Epic's Mike Capps talks about Epic Citadel and the future of iOS gaming
jaykk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:38 PM   #6
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodaxl7 View Post
sure! But there is the micro USB. Maybe apple will sell mini flash drive with the app store.
No.

Apple is the LAST company on earth that would ever do such a pathetic workaround. If they were going to have onboard memory they would have done it, not a pathetic flash drive "solution."
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Chwisch87
macrumors 6502

Well there is several ways they could do this. The appleTV needs apps but they will probably do it in an indirect way. iOS biggest advantage of competitors is the appstore. And Apple takes there 30% on everything sold. Perfect.

What may happen is you have like a Viacom shows streaming application that can "send to" appleTV over your home network. Or say a Hulu App that would all you to this. Or even some games. It needs however content apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canyonblue737 View Post
Prediction: This new Apple TV will *never* run apps. It has very little, very little onboard memory, just enough for buffering the rental and home video streams and so would have very little space to store apps.
We won't really know the internal situation until we see some teardowns. They have asked the FCC to now post the internal photos yet (think 6 weeks or something).
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:43 PM   #8
canyonblue737
macrumors 6502a

I think this generation Apple *could* but may not open up AirPlay to 3rd party video. For example, Netflix, Hulu, Twit, etc. etc. on your iPhone/iPad to the Apple TV and your big screen is "possible." That said games may NOT be possible because you have to assume that the act of streaming video is quite taxing to the iPhone/iPad, even with the A4, that it may not leave a ton of overhead of the actual creation of the game image, AI, control interface etc. running at the same time. If they put app ON the Apple TV this would work today, but the remote controlled Apple TV streaming games may be far off.
canyonblue737 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 06:46 PM   #9
ConnorTurnbull
macrumors 6502

I don't think Apple will have an app store for TV. What I think they will do, is introduce TV friendly apps to the existing devices and use AirPlay to play them on the TV and be controlled via the iOS device.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 08:03 PM   #10
TheBritishBloke
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwisch87 View Post
We won't really know the internal situation until we see some teardowns. They have asked the FCC to now post the internal photos yet (think 6 weeks or something).
Exactamundo, I was just gonna comment about this to him.. How would he know when Apple never posts any info like that ^^
TheBritishBloke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:34 PM   #11
Imsuperjp
macrumors 6502

I dont get all the whining about no app store for apple tv. How would you use apps on apple tv? TV isnt touch screen and if you are plugging in a keyboard or mouse, then there would be app store for mac by now. Maybe someone can explain to me how an app store on apple tv would work if it did exist.
Imsuperjp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:05 PM   #12
izimzis
macrumors member

apps would be awesome, but i dont think its going to happen when the nc data center opens. Looks like apple still has apple tv for just a hobby and i dont see why they would invest so much money in a data center open it up and then just use it for their hobby....

i its for clouded itunes and mobileme, i think so at least....
izimzis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:27 PM   #13
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Ping also requires quite a bit of data center capacity as a music networking site for 160 million existing iTunes users in the flick of a switch. It's aiming to compete with MySpace as a place for professional and amateur musicians to get their word out and for that Apple needs to have control over the data center that provides for that.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:03 PM   #14
jaw04005
macrumors 601

This seems to have gotten missed, but Jobs commented on an App Store for the Apple TV.

From Bloomberg,

“Even Jobs concedes the device is mainly for tech hobbyists, and most of the Sept. 1 event was dedicated to the revelation of a new line of iPods and a social networking feature that works within iTunes. What Jobs didn't say is that Apple wants to become king of the living room. He tells Bloomberg Businessweek that when the time is right, Apple could open an App Store for the TV that could do for television sets what all those apps have done for the iPhone. Asked if the iPad could evolve into the TV of tomorrow, Jobs shrugs and says, 'That's how I do most of my TV watching today.'

Still, the timing for such an evolution isn't upon us, Jobs says.”

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...4030216774.htm

Interesting.

I thought it was a little weird that there wasn’t a flurry of Jobs’ interviews from the WSJ, NYT, CNBC, etc like normal. Did I just miss those?

Last edited by jaw04005; Sep 5, 2010 at 12:08 PM.
jaw04005 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater