Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
My present office printer is not supported with a Mac driver. It's one reason holding me back from purchasing a Macprobook. The salesman told me "too bad", got to change printer !

But below link appears to suggest Mac comes with in-built software for printer to read Mac. If not, is there any 3rd party software? Can someone advise or verify pse.
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2517

Mac OS X includes built-in software for many printers that allow it to recognize the printer when you connect it to your Mac, so you may not need to install printer software even if it was included with the printer. Connect the printer to your computer's USB port or FireWire port, if supported using the appropriate cable. Be sure to check the documentation that came with the printer and turn it on. If it doesn't seem to be recognized by the printer, for example, you can't print. You may need to download the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website and install.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It comes with many standard drivers but you may need to install the printer software specific to your printer, which is not hard. What printer do you have?

novetan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
It comes with many standard drivers but you may need to install the printer software specific to your printer, which is not hard. What printer do you have?

Printer is Ricoh 2018 coming to 5 yrs old. It don't have a Mac printer driver version as confirmed by the agent, perhaps Ricoh don't bother anymore. I suppose its the end of the road for my printer.

LPZ

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2006
Printer is Ricoh 2018 coming to 5 yrs old. It don't have a Mac printer driver version as confirmed by the agent, perhaps Ricoh don't bother anymore. I suppose its the end of the road for my printer.

So, as MisterMe has pointed out, there are indeed OS X drivers for your printer, assuming it's one of these:

Ricoh Aficio 2018
Ricoh Aficio 2018D

You would simply download and install the latest version of the gutenprint package from here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.