Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glenn The Geeza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Hi, does anyone know of a work around or anyway other than de activating the iTunes store , to remove Ping from the sideBar in iTunes?
Please help if it is at all possible?

timsutcliffe

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
I'm afraid I can't help, but i've been looking around to try and find a way, and it doesn't seem to be possible at the moment.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
So far the only suggestion I've seen is to downgrade iTunes and then update.

3lionsbecks

Suspended
Jul 19, 2010
Ontario, Canada
yeah.

go into your account settings and you will find an option to turn off PING in there.

Not really sure what the fuss is about. It seems like it could be an interesting feature if it catches on with more people and especially artists. But right now it is deadsville. Then again....so was Twitter when it first came out.

Glenn The Geeza

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 15, 2010
I wish it was that easy...

yeah.

go into your account settings and you will find an option to turn off PING in there.

Not really sure what the fuss is about. It seems like it could be an interesting feature if it catches on with more people and especially artists. But right now it is deadsville. Then again....so was Twitter when it first came out.

Unfortunately you're wrong there my friend. If only it was that easy. The only way to remove it from your iTunes settings is to remove the iTunes store altogether.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
I wish it were gone as well. I never signed up for it so I have it on my side bar as well as on the top right corner telling me to try it. I don't want to try it.

They really should give us the choice to display it like they do with Genius.

SpaceKitty

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2008
Fort Collins Colorado
This still doesn't get rid of the icon in the sidebar.

Hopefully apple will make an option in a future update to turn it off like all the other junk I don't use.

That's correct. I never turned on Ping to begin with or even signed up for it and it says it is off in my settings yet it's still there in the side bar. They need to have a way to disable it like Genius.

DisMyMac

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2009
Screw you, Apple, for making yet another computer term ambiguous by calling it "Ping".

I'm sick of giving context for things that should be summarized in one word.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
I would love a way to remove all the UI cruft associated with it, but I haven't found one. It's not turned on, but I don't seem to have an option for "stop asking me about it and remove it from my sidebar". (Not the right-side "Ping" sidebar, the sidebar on the left where it's become yet another landmine to click on.)

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I would love a way to remove all the UI cruft associated with it, but I haven't found one. It's not turned on, but I don't seem to have an option for "stop asking me about it and remove it from my sidebar". (Not the right-side "Ping" sidebar, the sidebar on the left where it's become yet another landmine to click on.)

Apparently 10.1 has entered Beta now, so maybe they'll be some changes like that, although it's probably unlikely :(

blackburn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
Where Judas lost it's boots.
Go to terminal and type this
Code:
To disable the iTunes Store Links in Library
defaults write com.apple.iTunes show-store-link-arrows 0

To disable Ping
defaults write com.apple.iTunes hide-ping-dropdown -bool TRUE
defaults write com.apple.iTunes disablePingSidebar 1

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Most appreciated, cheers! But before messing about with terminal for the first time could you please tell me if

defaults write com.apple.iTunes hide-ping-dropdown -bool TRUE

removes the ping options when I "right" click on a song? Its whats causing me the most grievance from its footprint. Thank you!

wirelessmacuser

macrumors 68000
Dec 20, 2009
Planet.Earth
yeah.

I agree, if it catches on the activity could be very good.

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
could be, depending on whether you're into that sort of thing. I mean twitter is pretty famous now but I still have little interest in it and can't really imagine any situation that'd change that.

Different strokes I guess but I'd still rather a clean interface than extraneous things which I'd rather not use.

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
just hide the sidebar. i'm not a big ping fan, but it's no biggie. i am bummed that they got rid of the genius side bar.

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
True but my main issue is when you right-click on a song in your library and you get a selection of ping options between 'play' and 'get info'- I know about not blind-clicking but I don't really want to interface by deliberately ignoring something (like taking an extra large step into your house because a bull got wild and defecated outside your door) if I can avoid it.

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
^ sorry if a little facetious but does anybody seriously know if its possible to disable the ping menu options? Thanks

Mr Kram

macrumors 68020
Oct 1, 2008
True but my main issue is when you right-click on a song in your library and you get a selection of ping options between 'play' and 'get info'- I know about not blind-clicking but I don't really want to interface by deliberately ignoring something (like taking an extra large step into your house because a bull got wild and defecated outside your door) if I can avoid it.

^ sorry if a little facetious but does anybody seriously know if its possible to disable the ping menu options? Thanks

Tutorial

Kyffin

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2010
Thank you for the link! My first use of terminal and its rid iTunes of that easily clickable ping button= very happy but is there any way to remove the ping options when you right click a track? Cheers again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.