Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iloveant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
If you did not upgrade Mac mini RAM, you may not notice what I saw. Be aware of what I found and unbox in Apple store if you buy Mac mini 2010 in store, and check if you got same batch products I got. Otherwise, genius bar may deny your warranty.

I got chance to unbox three new Mac mini 2010 due to machine transfer and replacement. I found two of them have the similar problem. I noticed one of three screws (the smallest one, close to RAM) fixed the fan is stripping out. It cause me to use a third-party software "istat pro" to check hardware, I found only hard disk Tm sensors working, no CPU Tm sensor and other Tm sensor's information. Another Mac Mini 2010 from MacMall has no issues at all. Moreover, the defect Mac mini did has louder noise coming from hard disk and fan than the perfect Mac mini and freeze two time in my 7-day usage (2-3hours/per day).

I went to Apple store and got replacing whole unit by a new Mac mini in Apple store yesterday. BUT the new one has the similar problem (same screw stripping and no Tm sensor) out of the box when I tried to update RAM today. Make me feel I should buy a lottery recently.

In addition, make me feel unhappy today is the guy in the genius bar suspected me trying to move the screw and tear-town of machine, rather than satisfy customer. BTW, one of three managers I met is rude (I went to the same store three times within two days). If I were what they suspected, I must be very stupid to damage the screw two times (lose warranty) and then go to Apple store trying to replace again. To be honest, I am a backup for department IT support. I know how to tear-town Mac mini 2010 if I want to.

I just want to make things right. The genius bar told me they will run a system diagnosis. I got feelings that both defect Mac Mini may come from the same batch of products. It may have more in the market.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Maybe I'm dense, you're saying a screw inside the Mini is stripped and that's the defect? You know the mini isn't supposed to be opened by the user, right? Unless that's changed that is.

I do believe it's easy, even for skilled professionals to strip a screw. I've managed an upgrade of a 2009 mini but stripping a screw looked easy to do.

iloveant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Maybe I'm dense, you're saying a screw inside the Mini is stripped and that's the defect? You know the mini isn't supposed to be opened by the user, right? Unless that's changed that is.

I do believe it's easy, even for skilled professionals to strip a screw. I've managed an upgrade of a 2009 mini but stripping a screw looked easy to do.

One of new features in Mac mini 2010 is designed for users to upgrade RAM.

btbrossard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Chicagoland
One of new features in Mac mini 2010 is designed for users to upgrade RAM.
You don't need to do anything with any screws when upgrading the ram. No tools are required.

So- if you go into the store and say screws are stripped, they are going to look at you a little suspiciously I would imagine.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You know that only two of the three mounting points of the fan are actually screws (the upper ones), the third one is just a pin. Even if both are loose, it doesn't affect the cooling, as the fan stays in place anyways.
abhjpqhosxffjytbmedium.jpg

(Yellow: Screws, Red: Mounting pin)

If you remove both screws, the mounting pin still holds the fan in place. And as the screws have rubber over it to absorb vibration, you can remove them by turning them with your fingers. This is default and wanted, as the more you compress the rubber, the more vibration gets transferred the the case.

I've had temperature problems, too. Reseting the SMC resolved it, reapplying the thermal grease brought temps lower than factory-default.#

As for iStat Pro, I guess you just didn't download the sensor-plugins.

iloveant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks for your reply.

I did not touch the screw and it has defect out of box. I am just back from Apple store. They said they make a back order for the slip screw. After talking with manager, I got another new Mac Mini replacement. I do un-box on site and check everything is good.

You are right about istat sensor module.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Why not just getting a Torx 8 (or Torx 6 for the pin) screwdriver and tighten the screw in 30 seconds instead of swapping machines ten times? This is not defect to me, as the Mini even works 100% with all fan screws loose.

What's wrong with the screw. The red thing above is just a solid piece of metal, so it can't damage. The other two screws are just regular screws with a rubber grommet over the tip. What's suppose to be defective there?

iloveant

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Thanks again for your reply.

Hi, Giuly,

That is my first thought too. As I wrote, the screw in another Mac mini 2010 I purchased from a reseller has no sign of stripping and slipping, which make me to claim the defect right after I found problem during upgrading RAM. I am worry about after one-year warranty, I have to pay additional labor fee for replacement of fan or hard driver just because of the slipping screw.

Those are response I got from other source. Even today I was in apple today, Apple Genius bar told me don not touch RAM due to static electricity. Emphasize and ask me again and again "are you trying to screw up the screws".

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-21565_102-0.html?threadID=408813

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2568113&tstart=0

Thanks again for your reply.

mangrove

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
FL, USA

The 2010 Mini design is so that users can open to upgrade RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.