Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eah2119

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
There is this icon on my task bar that I can't seem to get rid of. I downloaded and installed an application to format an external drive, then when I wasn't happy with it, I deleted it. Unfortunately, when I deleted it, it didn't delete the icon it put in my task bar. I can click on it and get a menu and do a number of things. At the bottom of the menu I can choose "Disable DrivePulse". Nothing happens! I go to system preferences and look at my login items and it's not there! I find it in activity monitor, quit it from there, and it comes back a second later! I search my mac for Drive Pulse and Drive Genius 3 and I get no results! Can somebody help me disable this nuisance permanently? Is there a hidden file on my HD I have to delete?

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Open Activity Manager. Then highlight the rogue application causing the problem. Click on 'Inspect' at the top. Go across to 'Open Files and Ports'. Take a note of the files open there, and go hunting. :)

maccompaq

macrumors 65816
Mar 6, 2007
Just drag it up off the task bar, and it will disappear in a puff of smoke.

eah2119

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Problem soved. I inspected in activity monitor on open files and ports. There was a folder in "Application Support" I had to delete. Thanks for the help!

frankos52

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2011
UK
To manually uninstall Drive Genius 3 delete the following files and folders at the end of the paths listed below:

/Library/Application Support/DriveGenius (folder)
/Applications/Drive Genius 3.app (icon)
/Users/Library/Application Support/DriveGenius (folder)
/Users/Library/Preferences/com.prosofteng.DriveGenius3.plist (file)
/Users/Library/Preferences/com.prosofteng.DriveGenius2.plist (file)
/Users/Library/Preferences/com.prosofteng.DGAgent.plist (file)

If you are running OS X Lion or Mountain Lion, the last three files/folders are located in the Users Library Folder which is hidden in Lion

bubaglobalj

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I have the same problem.

But I can't delete the files, because Drive Pulse is always in use. I can force quit it, but it immediately reappears in the taskbar on top, next to the time and battery meter, etc..

bubaglobalj

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I managed to get rid of it by deleting the com file in MacIntosh HD/Library/LaunchAgents/ . then force quitted it and deleted all the files you guys mentioned!

n.dwatson1

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2012
Brighton, UK
Remove Drive Pulse

Thanks for all of this - I had the same issue. It took me a while to locate everything as spotlight wouldn't locate the files even after I found the specific file names in Activity Monitor.
To expand on frankos52's post; one way to see the 'invisible' folders is by selecting the Finder's 'Go' menu and holding down 'alt'. That way, 'Library' appears. Now you can navigate to the folders and files as listed here.
Once you've tracked down everything and deleted, open Activity Monitor, double-click the remaining DrivePulse files and then quit them.
It seems to have gone and not re-appeared so fingers crossed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.