Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback > Mac Guides

Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:49 AM   #1
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Created: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

I found out that I answer this question over and over again and seen other people answering it as well so thought that I would create a step-by-step guide how to do this so we don't have to type the steps over and over again. The guide is also more specific than most posts are

Link: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Feedback is very welcome. I tried to make it as simple as I could

Last edited by Hellhammer; Nov 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM.
Hellhammer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 04:16 AM   #2
DoFoT9
macrumors P6

Send a message via AIM to DoFoT9 Send a message via MSN to DoFoT9 Send a message via Skype™ to DoFoT9
very nice guide! thank you for posting

we need more people like you helping out in the community!
DoFoT9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 01:04 PM   #3
crusso03
macrumors newbie

usb install

how can you install snow leopard off a usb flash drive? i am currently running tiger...
8 GB iPod Nano
crusso03 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2010, 01:10 PM   #4
Hellhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusso03 View Post
how can you install snow leopard off a usb flash drive? i am currently running tiger...
http://www.maciverse.com/install-os-...ash-drive.html
Old Nov 24, 2010, 07:03 AM   #5
mashal46
macrumors newbie

Update Issues Please HELP!!!

i cant update my iMac for some reason my updater is not letting me do it. the version in trying to download is JAVA for MAC OS X 10.4, release7 and also the iDVD update not letting me do ether of them. can someone please help me. the latest software update on my system is version Mac OS X 10.4.11
mashal46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2010, 10:01 PM   #6
Perdification
macrumors regular

I'd suggest that you add some screenshots at every step, at least it'll be easier to follow and gives people reassurance that they're on the right track.
Perdification is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2010, 09:56 AM   #7
rhett7660
macrumors 604

Thank you very much! Excellent post. Printed and saved for future reference!
Old Mar 9, 2011, 10:29 AM   #8
sasasule
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perdification View Post
I'd suggest that you add some screenshots at every step, at least it'll be easier to follow and gives people reassurance that they're on the right track.
I agree on this one for fresh mac users picture can help me more then text but joke aside nice guide
sasasule is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Hellhammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasasule View Post
I agree on this one for fresh mac users picture can help me more then text but joke aside nice guide
The issue with pictures is that you can't take screenshots while installing AFAIK. Sure I could use a camera but that might start to be tricky. Besides, Lion will be out soon and it would require a new guide
Old Mar 20, 2011, 07:13 AM   #10
ukpetey
macrumors member

Thank you

I've just bought a new iMac and am giving my 13 yr old son my 3 year old iMac, so he can at last move onto a Mac. Benefits are multiple for him and for me, but firstly I'll no longer have to provide 'tech support' to a machine I no longer really understand, and which is always a very frustrating experience.

I also won't have to listen to his PC fan whining through the house - sounding like a hairdryer! it's a Dell, and it's been truly disappointing!

Anyway, I wanted to do a clean install on my old iMac - and found this perfect guide. So, thanks very much Hellhammer, a great guide, spot on, and I appreciate very much the time you took to produce it.

Peter
ukpetey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 05:44 PM   #11
Encai
macrumors newbie

Hellhammer, just wanted to say thanks for creating the guide! It was very clear and easy for me to follow when I recently upgraded to Snow Leopard.
Encai is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2011, 06:29 PM   #12
quasinormal
Banned

I just did clean installs on two 2011 MBPs. I'll mention what i did when I transferred my information , because for once everything turned out well. The data was on a HD removed from a dead MBP that was running 10.5.

I upgraded the old HD in firewire enclosure to 10.6 and ran all updates on it. I then ran the app CleanApp to remove programs from the old drive I didn't want any more. Migration agent was used transfer the applications. It appears 3rd party apps have the registration code transferred, but Pages asked for a reg. no.

With iTunes, i deleted the iTunes folder in Music on the new HD and then copied over the old iTunes folder. This worked and preserved all metadata.

edit- i should mention that Migration agent made a mess of transferring itunes. This could have been because i had my music files away from where itunes would normally find it. Before swapping itunes folders, I moved and renamed a few files so that both itunes folders matched.

Last edited by quasinormal; Apr 1, 2011 at 06:40 PM.
quasinormal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2011, 04:11 AM   #13
mr666
macrumors member

Not "clean install"

The term "clean install" refers to OS 9 and before. It was a clean installation, a new "System Folder", not a wipe. A wipe is a "clean erase". The equivalent of "clean install" in OS 10.5.8 and before is the option "Archive and Install". The archive is the old system, the install is the new system. The two (old and new) are totally separated, thus the new install is clean, a clean install. With OS 10.6, a direct reinstall will automatically put the old system into an archive.

The big glitch with the 10.6 reinstall is that it fails to handle an archive of the Users. Instead, it changes the status of all previous user accounts to standard accounts and upon restart, the Setup Assistant directs you through creating a fresh account -- that may or may not be an admin account.

The surest way to get a proper clean install (as opposed to clean erase) out of OS 10.6 is to complete the reinstall, complete the new user, boot to single user mode, rm the local.nidb, mv the old "Users" directory to "Users-old", rm the .applesetupdone file, reboot, create a real admin account (best to use the same full name and shortname as your original account), and Bob's your uncle. Then you can create new admin users to match any other old users you may have had. Mucking about to move stuff from the old to new users should not cause any permissions miss-match if they have the same short names.

The purpose of a clean install in OS 9 and before was to solve OS install issues, not to solve HDD file system errors. Archive and Install also has the purpose of solving OS install issues.

Anyone who was using computers when Apple introduced this feature (System 7.5) knew that it was hidden then and you had to hold Command-Shift-K to get the options window to appear. Starting with OS 7.6, the installer showed an "Options" button to bring up that pop-up screen with a check box for "Create New System Folder (Clean Installation)".

I have no idea why the PC geeks usurped this phrase and decided it required a format. Format is to remove a corrupt file system, not needed to clean install a fresh OS. Anyone who erases a HDD when there are no errors found by Disk Utility, Drive Genius, TechTool Pro, Disk Warrior and the like must have a phobia. Just go really overboard and replace the whole HDD. Probably has problems that even an erase missed. Toss it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA38095

Last edited by mr666; Jun 26, 2011 at 05:31 AM.
mr666 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 02:11 AM   #14
cinlung
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
I found out that I answer this question over and over again and seen other people answering it as well so thought that I would create a step-by-step guide how to do this so we don't have to type the steps over and over again. The guide is also more specific than most posts are

Link: Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Feedback is very welcome. I tried to make it as simple as I could
Hi, can you please tell me what is going on with my situation?
a. First I tried to perform clean install by loading the Mac OS X 10.6 disc directly to the drive, then it failed on auto boot from DVD
b. I followed some online instruction on copying the whole installation disc to an externel HDD and use the HDD as installation disc by setting it as startup disc. Then the following message appear:
- This version of Mac OS X is not intended for your hardware (something like that)
c. After that the HDD no longer bootable.
d. Then I tried to boot from Disc again by pressing Option Button and two bootable options appear, the internal HDD and the DVD for Mac OS X 10.6. I chose the DVD and it booted from the disc. In the middle of the way a block sign appear and the disc did not seem to be spinning (reading) anymore.

This is my mac specs:
Model Name: MacBook Pro 15"
Model Identifier: MacBookPro1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP11.0055.B08
SMC Version: 1.2f10

some said that I need to do gradual upgrade from 10.4.11 to 10.5 first. Is that true? Or can I just do clean install like what you wrote?
cinlung is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 03:32 AM   #15
Hellhammer

Is the disc you have the retail version of Snow Leopard? If it's from another computer, then it may not work.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 02:25 AM   #16
The Catalyst
macrumors 6502

alt key ftw.
The Catalyst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2013, 10:19 AM   #17
Alex7
macrumors newbie

The Link does not work ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellhammer View Post
For some reason this link does not work, it tells me "sorry it's down for now"
Alex7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2013, 08:40 AM   #18
LostSoul80
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex7 View Post
For some reason this link does not work, it tells me "sorry it's down for now"
The guides are temporarily down since the security leak earlier this week.
Presumably, they'll soon get back.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Alex7
macrumors newbie

I see... I'll try back later. Any other link suggestions? thanks.
Alex7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2014, 04:35 AM   #20
ramjben
macrumors newbie

Worked great, thanks!
ramjben is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2014, 08:42 AM   #21
Issaco21
macrumors newbie

Thanks for this guide. Was looking for it this week finally found it!
Issaco21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Site and Forum Feedback > Mac Guides