Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting

Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:31 AM   #1
sarah13
macrumors newbie

iTunes 10 won't recognize iPhone 3G 3.1.3

I have been unable to have iTunes recognize my iPhone. I have gone through all the troubleshooting from Apple and these forums including trying different USB ports as much as completely removing and reinstalling iTunes (several times). I have also tried to download updates for OSX (version 10.6.4) to upgrade from 10.5.8 but I am getting a "software not supported" error message. Perhaps I can't upgrade different versions? I haven't updated or restored my phone in months - last sync was in early June - I have not had the internet for the whole summer. If anyone has any alternate ideas, I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!
sarah13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:50 AM   #2
depthpercep
macrumors newbie

Try this:

If the issue continues after using the troubleshooting assistant, follow these steps to remove and reinstall the Apple Mobile Device Service on Mac OS X. Note that you'll need authenticate with an administrator account and password to complete these steps.

1. In the Finder, locate iTunes in the Applications folder and drag it to the Trash.
2. Move the iTunes icon to the Trash
3. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
4. Enter /System/Library/Extensions and click Go.
5. Locate the file AppleMobileDevice.kext and drag it to the Trash.
6. Choose Go > Go to Folder.
7. Enter /Library/Receipts/ and click Go.
8. Locate the file AppleMobileDeviceSupport.pkg and drag it to the Trash. If prompted, authenticate with the admin password.
9. Choose Finder > Empty Trash and restart the computer.

Try connecting your iPhone after rebooting. It will most likely connect.

10. Download and install the current version of iTunes:
www.apple.com/itunes/

Some people have found that these steps resolved their connection issues. However, others do not (such as me). If it doesn't connect, there is an issue with Apple Mobile Device Support and the USB kext/mac driver. I've been testing solutions with third party USB kexts but so far none have been a solution. You can try installing kexts through this forum.

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/lof...p/t205111.html

Hope it works better for you than for me.
depthpercep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:06 AM   #3
sarah13
macrumors newbie

thanks...

I had already removed the Apple Mobile Devices (a few times as well!)

I've tried the .kext but that doesn't seem to be working, either. (Then again, I'm not really sure exactly what I'm doing with .kext(s)... Keep me posted on any other solutions you may have found!
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:16 AM   #4
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah13 View Post
I have been unable to have iTunes recognize my iPhone. I have gone through all the troubleshooting from Apple and these forums including trying different USB ports as much as completely removing and reinstalling iTunes (several times). I have also tried to download updates for OSX (version 10.6.4) to upgrade from 10.5.8 but I am getting a "software not supported" error message. Perhaps I can't upgrade different versions? I haven't updated or restored my phone in months - last sync was in early June - I have not had the internet for the whole summer. If anyone has any alternate ideas, I'd really appreciate your input. Thanks!
Well you cant update from 10.5.8 to 10.6.4 without purchasing a Snow Leopard CD.

Other than that, the only thing I can suggest, because it has happened to me in the past. Is to create a new account on your computer and open iTunes and try to sync your phone. If it works, which is should, you need to transfer all your data from the old user account to the new, then delete the old one, and you'll be good to go. Happened to me a few times. Its a pain but it works.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:27 AM   #5
sarah13
macrumors newbie

Mlrollin91

Thank you for your reply as well. Interestingly, I could still not get iTunes to recognize the iPhone with a new user account. Ah, well... each try is getting me closer and closer to utilizing Apple Support - at 29 bucks a pop - ouch.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:29 AM   #6
Mlrollin91
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah13 View Post
Thank you for your reply as well. Interestingly, I could still not get iTunes to recognize the iPhone with a new user account. Ah, well... each try is getting me closer and closer to utilizing Apple Support - at 29 bucks a pop - ouch.
Wow, I'm quite shocked, that always seems to be the fall back. I'll keep thinking of other ways that might work. Goodluck to you.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:30 AM   #7
depthpercep
macrumors newbie

Does it connect/charge after removing iTunes and Apple Mobile Support?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:40 AM   #8
ntrigue
Banned

Send a message via AIM to ntrigue
Laughing out loud at this thread. Upgrade already. Then come back, until then we don't care.
ntrigue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:34 PM   #9
depthpercep
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrigue View Post
Laughing out loud at this thread. Upgrade already. Then come back, until then we don't care.
You don't know what you're talking about. This is a known issue SINCE iOS 3 including the most recent 4.0.2. An upgrade isn't going to resolve this. It's a AppleMobileSupport issue.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone > iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting