Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:33 AM   #1
ipedro
macrumors 68020

tv in Canada: No TV Shows, No Netflix

So we're going back to the dark ages again. The new tv offers no TV Shows in Canada (neither rent nor purchase) and the newest feature, Netflix is also unavailable.

I'm sticking with the original tv.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:36 AM   #2
OllyW

Netflix is opening in Canada in the next couple of months so I'd expect to see it on the Apple TV at the same time.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:39 AM   #3
ipedro
macrumors 68020

I guess that might attenuate the slap in the face to Canada, but no TV Shows would mean I'd have to go back to cable for the first time in almost 4 years.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:48 AM   #4
suss2it
macrumors regular

Why do you think we won't have any TV shows? Canada already has a huge selection of TV shows, not as big as the US but still pretty big. Probably the second largest, what makes you think it's just gonna disappear?
suss2it is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:57 AM   #5
ipedro
macrumors 68020

http://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/

TV Shows are removed from the Apple Canada page.

This is likely because Apple is starting over with TV Shows. They only have ABC and Fox on board and still, Fox only agreed to a limited trial.

Apple.com

Apple.ca

Last edited by ipedro; Sep 4, 2010 at 12:00 PM. Reason: Added screen caps
ipedro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:00 PM   #6
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
http://www.apple.com/ca/appletv/

TV Shows are removed from the Apple Canada page.

This is likely because Apple is starting over with TV Shows. They only have ABC and Fox on board and still, Fox only agreed to a limited trial.
You haven't got TV Show rentals yet but you should still be able to buy them through iTunes on your computer then stream them to the new Apple TV.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:04 PM   #7
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllyW View Post
You haven't got TV Show rentals yet but you should still be able to buy them through iTunes on your computer then stream them to the new Apple TV.
Sure, but the experience is going to be far less convenient. You'll have to go buy an episode on your computer, then wait to download an episode in full before streaming it to your tv.

I cancelled my cable because I could do everything from the comfort of my couch, without turning "watching TV" into a computer experience. It's definitely a step back for Canada.

Hopefully Apple proves themselves with TV Show rentals and cuts similar deals with networks in Canada.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:09 PM   #8
Corruptitudes
Banned

Quote:
Sure, but the experience is going to be far less convenient. You'll have to go buy an episode on your computer, then wait to download an episode in full before streaming it to your tv.

I cancelled my cable because I could do everything from the comfort of my couch, without turning "watching TV" into a computer experience. It's definitely a step back for Canada.

Hopefully Apple proves themselves with TV Show rentals and cuts similar deals with networks in Canada.
I guess I dont understand this mentality at all. I dont use the hard drive on my current ATV because my library wont fit on it. Renting Tv Shows? at 99 cents? That seems like a massive rip off. Id much rather pay the 1.99 buy the show, and then watch as much as Id like. So that just means Im doing the exact same thing I am now, streaming from my computer/network.

Nothing has changed except the fact that the newer unit wont heat up the room like the old atv did....
Corruptitudes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:17 PM   #9
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Different strokes for different folks. I'd rather rent 99 episodes for the four shows per week that I watch than pay $100 for cable per month for 90% of channels I never watch.

And by the way, you're not comparing correct price points. HD Shows are $2.99. Rentals are in HD: 99

I do currently hesitate in buying a TV show for $2.99 because I know I'll only see it once. 99 makes that choice a lot easier.

That said, the option to purchase is still there so if it's a show you think you'd go out and buy on DVD, by all means, go to iTunes and buy it rather than renting.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:37 PM   #10
suss2it
macrumors regular

Quote:

How is it a stepback? When were you ever able to rent TV shows in Canada? Just because it's not a stepforward doesn't mean it's a stepback.
suss2it is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:57 PM   #11
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

F..cking CRTC

Yep...I just realized that after having sold my Apple TV and pre-ordered the new one. We will eventually get TV shows rental in Canada but the question is when ??

The reason we can't watch US content thought ABC and FOX is because of market protection by the CRTC. I believe that Apple is or will make some deals with canadian TV networks like CTV but when it will be done...that's the question. If Apple want to develop Apple TV market they would need to put some traction on securing the deals. I think with all the fuss we are hearing about public/generic TV network and profits redistribution on cable subscriptions in Canada, I really think it's gonna an easy task for Apple to secure deals with those networks.

We will see but by that time, we can still buy on iTunes and stream on the Apple TV or open a US iTunes account (google for that).
benoitgphoto is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:48 PM   #12
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss2it View Post
How is it a stepback? When were you ever able to rent TV shows in Canada? Just because it's not a stepforward doesn't mean it's a stepback.
You didn't read my post in full did you? If you did, please read it again.

Not having rentals in Canada isn't the step back. Not having any TV shows at all on the new tv is. With the first gen tv, you are able to do everything from the couch, and instantly. You sit down to watch TV, you browse available shows, you buy an episode and it starts playing almost immediately.

As it is now, in Canada, you'll have to get up, go to your computer, find something to buy, then wait for it to download, (up to 20 minutes or more in some cases) and then finally stream it to your tv. That takes the spontaneity out of TV watching and makes it a chore.

So, we lost a significant function and it wasn't replaced by a better one. That is the definition of a step back.

Of course, eventually rentals will come here but in the meantime, we'll wait months (or years as was the case with the original) to get TV shows back on our tv's.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:56 PM   #13
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoitgphoto View Post

We will see but by that time, we can still buy on iTunes and stream on the Apple TV or open a US iTunes account (google for that).
I have a US account. I'm not sure if it will work though.

Signing in to your new tv with a US account will likely put TV Shows back on the menu but since it's all streaming, will Apple stream a TV Show rental to a foreign IP?
Old Sep 4, 2010, 09:00 PM   #14
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have a US account. I'm not sure if it will work though.

Signing in to your new tv with a US account will likely put TV Shows back on the menu but since it's all streaming, will Apple stream a TV Show rental to a foreign IP?
Well...I don't know. I will try to open a US account tonight and try renting a TV episode from iTunes and see if it works. If it works, I don't see why it won't on Apple TV.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:28 PM   #15
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Good point. We look forward to you reporting back your results.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:15 PM   #16
imacan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Well...I don't know. I will try to open a US account tonight and try renting a TV episode from iTunes and see if it works. If it works, I don't see why it won't on Apple TV.
Did it work?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:56 AM   #17
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacan View Post
Did it work?
Yes...it did. I'm watching on my MacBook Lost "Across the Sea"" rented at 0.99$ with a US iTunes account. I'm located in Montreal

Last edited by benoitgphoto; Sep 5, 2010 at 11:09 AM.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:08 AM   #18
imacan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Yes...it did. I'm looking on my MacBook Lost "Across the Sea"" rented at 0.99$ with a US iTunes account.
Thanks benoitgphoto. To pay, did you use a US iTunes Gift Card or prepaid credit card?
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:10 AM   #19
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks benoitgphoto. To pay, did you use a US iTunes Gift Card or prepaid credit card?
I used a prepaid MC card that I bought at Shoppers Drug MArt. I would like to try a US iTunes gift card as it will be easier to track the balance on it.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:13 AM   #20
imacan
macrumors regular

Quote:
I used a prepaid MC card that I bought at Shoppers Drug MArt. I would like to try a US iTunes gift card as it will be easier to track the balance on it.
Thanks again, it makes the new AppleTv more interesting for us in Canada.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:50 AM   #21
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks again, it makes the new AppleTv more interesting for us in Canada.
Yep, I had regrets to have sold my old one and pre-ordered the new one but with that, it's a little bit more attractive. Hopefully they will secure deals with Canadian tv networks quickly.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:57 AM   #22
TheBritishBloke
macrumors 68030

The reason for their being no actual 'purchase' option on the new TV is as there's no accessible storage..
TheBritishBloke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:22 PM   #23
benoitgphoto
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBritishBloke View Post
The reason for their being no actual 'purchase' option on the new TV is as there's no accessible storage..
Yep we know that. Personnaly, purchasing doesn't interest me that much but renting is what I'm looking for. However, in Canada, renting is crippled since we can only rent movies and no TV shows.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 02:29 PM   #24
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Thanks for checking that. I guess it will help ease the transition until TV Shows rentals are officially supported here. Still, with only Fox and ABC on board, the choices will be very limited.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 02:32 PM   #25
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yep we know that. Personnaly, purchasing doesn't interest me that much but renting is what I'm looking for. However, in Canada, renting is crippled since we can only rent movies and no TV shows.
There's a work around:

1 - Buy a prepaid VISA or Mastercard. They're disposable credit cards with a certain amount of credit.

2 - Sign up to iTunes US. Use a hotel address or of a friend or family member and top up your account with the prepaid credit card.

3 - Log in tv with your US iTunes account.

Enjoy iTunes and tv fully, just like our neighbours.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater