Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 4, 2010, 11:53 AM   #1
sdi2000
macrumors newbie

Will 'old' AppleTV stream airtunes to new AppleTV?

Hi,

Not much more to add, but I don't leave a computer on in the house 24/7 - we use the 160GB AppleTV to stream music around the house using Airtunes and Airport Expresses, controlling it using our iPhones. Would I be able to use a new 2010 AppleTV as a receiver for this?

Cheers.
sdi2000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:00 PM   #2
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a

Yes I think so. It's a sound receiver just like airport express.
BeachChair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:07 PM   #3
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Unless Apple is planning on issuing firmware updates for existing Airport Express units that disable AppleTV 1 from streaming to them, then AppleTV 2 should act just like an Airport Express and allow audio streams.

...Come to think of it, there will likely be this firmware update because Apple changed the name from AirTunes to AirPlay and this will reflect in the Airport Express menus.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 12:55 PM   #4
BeachChair
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipedro View Post
Unless Apple is planning on issuing firmware updates for existing Airport Express units that disable AppleTV 1 from streaming to them, then AppleTV 2 should act just like an Airport Express and allow audio streams.

...Come to think of it, there will likely be this firmware update because Apple changed the name from AirTunes to AirPlay and this will reflect in the Airport Express menus.
Would be cool if this update also fixed Airport Express so it actually works over Wifi!
BeachChair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:52 PM   #5
ipedro
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachChair View Post
Would be cool if this update also fixed Airport Express so it actually works over Wifi!
It does work... over WiFi. It's a WiFi router. That's what it does.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater