Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KeNJii

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hello. Sorry if this a noob question, I'm new to all of this.

I want to change my dock. I found a hardwood one in the Post your jailbroke homescreen topic that I'd like to use. I think it was optimized for the iPhone 4.

How do I go about putting this as my new dock? Do I need iFile? Can I do it by downloading the image in Safari and making it my dock using my iPhone only without connecting to the computer?

And, how do I get rid of icon names? I downloaded Iconoclasm, used a 4x4 condensed layout, but the names didn't disappear.

Also, what do people mean when they say "just SSH it to your phone"?

Lastly, can anyone recommend any Cydia apps that are good for changing icons and docks etc without actually syncing up to my computer? Or do I need to sync whenever I want to change an Icon of an app etc?

Thank you!

MrThompsonR

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2009
Hello. Sorry if this a noob question, I'm new to all of this.

I want to change my dock. I found a hardwood one in the Post your jailbroke homescreen topic that I'd like to use. I think it was optimized for the iPhone 4.

How do I go about putting this as my new dock? Do I need iFile? Can I do it by downloading the image in Safari and making it my dock using my iPhone only without connecting to the computer?

And, how do I get rid of icon names? I downloaded Iconoclasm, used a 4x4 condensed layout, but the names didn't disappear.

Also, what do people mean when they say "just SSH it to your phone"?

Lastly, can anyone recommend any Cydia apps that are good for changing icons and docks etc without actually syncing up to my computer? Or do I need to sync whenever I want to change an Icon of an app etc?

Thank you!
Most people us SSH(over wifi) with either WinSCP for Windows or CyberDuck for Macs to get to their Themes folder, find the file named Dock.png. Rename it to back it up in order to change it back later if they want. Something like DockOld.png. Then copy the new file named Dock.png into the same folder. Respring and the new dock should be viewable. Do a search on Youtube for videos(easiest way to learn this stuff)
Search SSH for iPhone. You will see which programs you need on your phone/ PC or Mac to do this... Once you get the hang of it, its pretty easy stuff... Best part you can add bits and pieces to make your "Theme" one of a kind, just the way you want it. Good luck.

Apps in Cydia I'd recommend are SBSettings, Open SSH, No Docked/ Undocked Icons (to remove the text/ names), Multiflow, Backgrounder, LockInfo

All these apps are downloaded directly to your phone vs PC... The only difference vs synced apps(from Apple) is some require you respring/ reboot the phone before you can see them or use them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.