Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Sep 4, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1
jman995x
macrumors regular

Best Mac and iPhone Photo Locker/Encryption/Vault?

I have some very seductive pictures of my wife that I want to secure in an unhackable* program on my iPhone and Mac so that they never see the light of day unless I enter the correct password.

Obviously my wife isn't going to be looking on my phone (she let me take the pictures with the phone in the first place)...my concern is if the phone is ever lost or stolen...I want those pictures totally unreachable if my phone ever winds up in the wrong hands.

I know that there is a very good program called "Folder Lock" for PC....but they don't have a corresponding Mac version (they do have an iPhone app, but then what do I do with the corresponding pictures that are on my Mac that Folder Lock doesn't have a desktop app for)?

So, anybody know of a Photo Locker/Encrypter/Vault for both the Mac and the iPhone?...don't necessarily care if they are the some company, just want end-to-end security so that if either one goes down, I have a backup on the other unit....but both are hackproof* if ever stolen or lost.

I should clarify one thing about my Mac requirements,...I'm actually looking for an application specifically designed for this exact purpose (as opposed to slick Terminal ".folder" fixes that would hide the folder, but in no way make it secure). So, an app with a Password is a Must, preferably with strong encryption.

Thanks,

jman995x

* P.S. - By "Hackproof", I don't mean Tsutomu Shimomura, Kevin Mitnick or Jonathan James impenetrable...but something closer to 256-bit encryption than say a wimpy 4-digit pin code.
jman995x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 07:08 AM   #2
kriss13
macrumors newbie

MEO Photo is what i use.
I have a JB iphone and I can check easily if the data is encrypted, because I can browse the app files.

I tested almost all the apps with the word "vault" and "safe" and this is so far the only one.

By the way, Anyone knows a similar app for videos?
I found none so far.
Every time I install one and I go to its files, all the data is in plain to see.
Stupid devs.

ps.

On the Mac side just create a pass protected and encripted DMG disc with r/w access so you can add, delete and sort the pictures or movies.
kriss13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2010, 09:36 PM   #3
hoodgyno
macrumors newbie

Watch the youtube video for videosafe. That app might be of some use.
hoodgyno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2010, 12:04 AM   #4
obdave
macrumors member

deleted
obdave is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2010, 05:12 PM   #5
gr8whtd0pe
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to gr8whtd0pe
on my iPhone, I use Private Pics (did the paid upgrade) to store pics, and just encrypt the backup so they can not use stuff like backup extract to get them. On my iMac I just put them on a jump drive and leave it in my safe.
gr8whtd0pe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2012, 08:28 AM   #6
Miocool
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriss13 View Post
MEO Photo is what i use.
By the way, Anyone knows a similar app for videos?
I found none so far.
Every time I install one and I go to its files, all the data is in plain to see.
Stupid devs.
Have a try of "Private Pal", it has full encryption on photo, video and any large files, you also can preview them in app and manage all with your customized multi-layer folders.
Miocool is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
underkin
macrumors newbie

I just discovered Crypt My Pic on the app store. (http://cryptmypic.com) Seems to match what you are looking for. Cheap and easy .
underkin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:37 PM   #8
underkin
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by underkin View Post
I just discovered Crypt My Pic on the app store. (http://cryptmypic.com) Seems to match what you are looking for. Cheap and easy .
That one is also available on android, so you can share your photos also with android users. That is a +1
underkin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2013, 08:27 PM   #9
goodday
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8whtd0pe View Post
on my iPhone, I use Private Pics (did the paid upgrade) to store pics, and just encrypt the backup so they can not use stuff like backup extract to get them. On my iMac I just put them on a jump drive and leave it in my safe.

Private pics has caused my iCloud backup to be unable to finish and always fail. Even when changing the in-app setting to enable iCloud. When I chose in iPhone Settings->iCloud backup to not include Private Pics data, everything finishes normally.

THERE IS NO DEV SUPPORT WHATSOEVER. I posted request for help in App review and nothing has happened for months, Devs web site is just a few screen-shots of the app and a link to App store. Has caused me to deleted the app and look elsewhere...

And yes, IT IS SHOCKING how devs can call their apps secure when any child that can download an iPhone browser sw can get to my data in 10 seconds!!
goodday is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store