Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Super20

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 24, 2004
Council Bluffs, IA
I have a Dell Axim. Apparently it won't sync perfectly with my new powerbook (or any MAC for that matter without special software). So, I'd like to find something else. My only requirements are a color screen, the ability to sync with both mac and PC, and have some sort of wireless capability. Please give me some recommendations.

Steven1621

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2003
Connecticut
i really like my tungsten t3. if you want wifi, you'll have to get the palmone sd wifi card. most plam models do not have wireless built it. i think only the tungsten c has it built in.

TLRedhawke

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2004
The high end Palm Tungstens work quite well for the wireless, as it's generally built in. However, if you need much less wireless capacity, you could always go with a Tungsten E, and buy an SD wireless card. I'd avoid the Zire series, as they don't have enough memory. However, you may want to go with a T5, or a T3, due to the integration of Bluetooth.

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Don't even the Palm OS devices need 3rd software now? Like MissingSync or something?

The best Palm OS device (IMHO) is the Sony TH55. Only problem with it is that Sony is no longer doing PDAs in the US. TH55 has hi-res screen, WiFi, and an awesome new PIM set called Clie Organizer.

They are on eBay for around $350-$400.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Tungsten T5 and Panther

Palm website says their Palm desktop 4.2.1 (the most new one posted in April 2004) should work with Mac OS X 10.3. But, I heard someone from the forum(s) that Palm stopped its support for Mac. Please chime in if your Palm Tungsten is working well with your mac (PB or others), running 10.3.7 or 10.3.8.

I am thinking about upgrading from M515 to Tungsten T5 in the near future. I like the bluetooh synching which gets rid of the wire.

AstroManLuca

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2005
Minnesota
I used to have a Tungsten E, which is a great PDA if you don't need wireless. Worked fine in OS X. In fact, I even got the Missing Sync software for it (because it's supposed to add a bunch of nice new features) but it really isn't any better than Palm's included software.

Palm will not be providing Palm Desktop for their Palm OS 6 devices. Right now it's on Palm OS 5, and the current version of Palm Desktop for Mac syncs fine. That probably only means that Missing Sync will be a requirement for using Palm OS 6 devices. Either way, it doesn't apply yet.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Man, I love my Axim. I got Mark/Space's The Missing Sync Software and would never be able to do without it. It syncs great for what i need it to... iCal, Address book, basically everything but e-mail... but i use gmail so i can download that via POP3 on the axim or at gmail.com now that the site is supported partially by gmail... Why is the Axim not satisfactory? (aside from having to have 3rd party software)

superbovine

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2003
Super20 said:
I have a Dell Axim. Apparently it won't sync perfectly with my new powerbook (or any MAC for that matter without special software). So, I'd like to find something else. My only requirements are a color screen, the ability to sync with both mac and PC, and have some sort of wireless capability. Please give me some recommendations.

wait till tiger comes out before you drop cash on a new pda. iSync is one of the things that is being updated.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
i have a tungsten t5 and it works perfectly with my mac, no additional software (e.g., missing sync) needed. i actually don't use the palm desktop itself - i sync to calendar and address book. all the software i needed to set this up came on the cd with the tungsten and from the palm web site.

palmsource did say that they will no longer support macs in the future. so, i think missing sync will eventually become necessary to use a palm os pda with a mac. but that time isn't here quite yet...

btw, i love the t5. this is my 6th pda (palm v, clie n710c, clie nx70v, treo 600, and a zodiac 2 all came before) and it's tied for first with, or even slightly ahead of, the nx70v i had. the screen is great, it's perfect for what i use it for (reading ebooks, PIM functions, and some light web browsing when i'm out and about). i do wish it had wifi, but hopefully palmone will have the sense to build that into their next high-end pda. if it's the same form factor as the t5, i'd upgrade just for that.

marianne

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
I recommend the HP iPaq hx4700/05 with VGA 4 inch screen; built in wifi and bluetooth; slots for both CF and SD cards. I got tired of waiting for Palm to come up with something decent. The synchronisation with Mac works fine with PocketMac Pro (or you can use Missing Sync). Once you have it, it's no more trouble than synching with a Palm. The screen is the main thing though - you need all the resolution you can get on a handheld.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Palm desktop for Mac and M515

After reading this thread, I just downloaded a Mac-version Palm desktop and installed it on my 12" PB this morning and synced my Palm M515 data onto Mac by adjusting Hotsync settings. My M515 runs on Palm OS 4.1 (this Palm has been performing flawlessly over almost 1.5 years, I carry this almost every single day and I am in the outside sales). it worked well. I am planning to sync with my PB from now on instead of with my HP notebook.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The M515 is probably the best machine Palm ever made, closely followed by the M500 mono version. Rugged, small, reliable.

But for the original poster, yes, you should try Missing Sync before you abandon the Axim.

PocketMac might work well for you too. I found it to be fairly slow, but I am a heavy PDA user.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.