Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Surreptitious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
1. Will photos be resized by iTunes to make them show up better on a retina display or will the same photo cache be used? Someone with an iPhone 4 may know.

2. How are people in facetime or any other app that uses the microphone be able to hear the user when the microphone is on the back of the device? Speak loudly?

3. The speaker now has a hole on the bottom left of the device. So does that mean the sound is going to be muffled when it's covered?

4. The iPod Touches always seem to be slightly faster than the iPhone released months before. Will this 4th generation iPod touch be faster than the iPhone 4? It's the same chip from Apple, so I was thinking not.

5. Do I need to keep a piece of duct tape on the front camera to keep Apple from spying on me?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
1. iTunes should just figure it out. I would expect it to reoptimize your photos for the new device.

2. I have some faith that this was tested by Apple and performs satisfactorily. We'll know for sure next week.

3. That's how it's been on the iPhone. I expect the improved sound quality to be worth it. Present gen touches have poor audio quality without earbuds IMHO.

4. I doubt it--in fact I think it's the same chip. And I hope not because my 12 year old would not let me live it down.

5. That depends on whether you trust Apple. If they (or someone else) were doing that you could expect such behavior to be discovered quickly, and you'd read it here first.

Surreptitious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
1. iTunes should just figure it out. I would expect it to reoptimize your photos for the new device.

2. I have some faith that this was tested by Apple and performs satisfactorily. We'll know for sure next week.

3. That's how it's been on the iPhone. I expect the improved sound quality to be worth it. Present gen touches have poor audio quality without earbuds IMHO.

4. I doubt it--in fact I think it's the same chip. And I hope not because my 12 year old would not let me live it down.

5. That depends on whether you trust Apple. If they (or someone else) were doing that you could expect such behavior to be discovered quickly, and you'd read it here first.

When was improved sound quality mentioned? Is that why it's been altered?

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010

It wasn't, to my knowledge. All I have to go on is my opinion that every iPhone to date has had a better sounding built in speaker than every iPod touch. I'm assuming the change was made because the internal speaker needs to sound better than it used to for a satisfactory FaceTime experience.

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home

If you have an iPhone and a 2nd or 3rd gen touch to compare, the touch's speaker is absolutely abysmal in comparison - that's what happens when they squeeze it inside the dock connector with no noticeable holes. It sounds very distant, tinny, and is overall very unpleasant. The iPhone speaker, while not perfect, sounds a hundred times better (seriously), so I'm sure the redesigned speaker in the new touch will be very welcomed.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
1. don't know

2. the mic not on the back, that's a light sensor...ill take an good guess and say the mic is built in right where you plug in the charger wire

3. it will sound wayyyy better than the 2g, covered or not

4. probably a bit (or a lot) faster than the iphone 4 since it doesn't have to run and deal with phone,3g, ect

5. ha

Surreptitious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
It wasn't, to my knowledge. All I have to go on is my opinion that every iPhone to date has had a better sounding built in speaker than every iPod touch. I'm assuming the change was made because the internal speaker needs to sound better than it used to for a satisfactory FaceTime experience.

If you have an iPhone and a 2nd or 3rd gen touch to compare, the touch's speaker is absolutely abysmal in comparison - that's what happens when they squeeze it inside the dock connector with no noticeable holes. It sounds very distant, tinny, and is overall very unpleasant. The iPhone speaker, while not perfect, sounds a hundred times better (seriously), so I'm sure the redesigned speaker in the new touch will be very welcomed.

Cool, now that I think about it, the iPhone speakers do seem louder at least, and better sounding. That's another nice feature to look forward to.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
2. the mic not on the back, that's a light sensor...ill take an good guess and say the mic is built in right where you plug in the charger wire
Apple's site clearly shows a mic on the back, labeled and everything. The ambient light sensor is behind the bezel, where its always been.

That said, I don't get why people think that mic on the back is going to magically make picking things up difficult, sound travels in interesting ways.

Surreptitious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Apple's site clearly shows a mic on the back, labeled and everything. The ambient light sensor is behind the bezel, where its always been.

That said, I don't get why people think that mic on the back is going to magically make picking things up difficult, sound travels in interesting ways.

My guess was that Apple had special sound absorbing alloys that will allow sound to penetrate to the microphone on the back. Good luck using that thing if there's any wind.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
My guess was that Apple had special sound absorbing alloys that will allow sound to penetrate to the microphone on the back. Good luck using that thing if there's any wind.

Why don't you just wait to actually use one in store, be amazed at how somehow, magically, sound bounces off your surroundings and right into the microphone!

Hint: if you can hear your voice, it most likely means its bouncing off of something back to your ears (apart from cranial vibrations of course).

Surreptitious

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Why don't you just wait to actually use one in store, be amazed at how somehow, magically, sound bounces off your surroundings and right into the microphone!

Hint: if you can hear your voice, it most likely means its bouncing off of something back to your ears (apart from cranial vibrations of course).

That works great indoors. If I use it outside that doesn't work as well and like I said, if there is any wind, the microphone won't pick up a thing unless you turn it over and try blocking it.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
That works great indoors. If I use it outside that doesn't work as well and like I said, if there is any wind, the microphone won't pick up a thing unless you turn it over and try blocking it.

You won't be outdoors using FaceTime very often. Wifi only.

gta50419

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2010
apple mics are good anyway...thank of the macbook pros
i can record a vid on photo boot and hear myself chewing gum and even people that's talking in the next room very clearly.it's probably similar mics..the mic is the last thing i would worry about

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008

It works great outside too, its physics.

As for the wind, neither you or I can really make a judgement call on that until we see first hand.

uncoil

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
I thought I'd ask this here since the thread title seemed appropriate :p

Any word on MacOS / iChat integration with FaceTime? It would just be unbelievable if I couldn't use it with someone sitting at their (Apple) computer, but I haven't read anything mentioning it yet.

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
I thought I'd ask this here since the thread title seemed appropriate :p

Any word on MacOS / iChat integration with FaceTime? It would just be unbelievable if I couldn't use it with someone sitting at their (Apple) computer, but I haven't read anything mentioning it yet.

I think it's inevitable, but I too have read nothing about Apple's plans about this. Now that there's a way to access FaceTime through an e-mail address instead of a phone number I think it's just a matter of time before iChat is FaceTime-enabled. Perhaps they'll wait until after there are camera-equipped iPads in order to continue to drive sales of mobile hardware. On the other hand, if it's truly an open standard, they'll have to act more quickly because third party developers will fill that hole pretty quickly to meet demand.

skiltrip

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2010
New York
I think it's inevitable, but I too have read nothing about Apple's plans about this. Now that there's a way to access FaceTime through an e-mail address instead of a phone number I think it's just a matter of time before iChat is FaceTime-enabled. Perhaps they'll wait until after there are camera-equipped iPads in order to continue to drive sales of mobile hardware. On the other hand, if it's truly an open standard, they'll have to act more quickly because third party developers will fill that hole pretty quickly to meet demand.

I agree, all the mobile devices will be covered before Mac OS gets the update. Maybe they will roll out the iPad and Mac OS FaceTime on the same date.

Speaking of the iPad, when is the refresh expected/due?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.