Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Sep 5, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1
zepica
macrumors regular

Internet speed requirement for new apple tv?

I cant find anywhere what is internet speed requirement for apple tv. So I can watch movies without glitches.
zepica is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Hellhammer

Send a message via MSN to Hellhammer
Depends on movie and whether you choose SD or HD. Try renting a movie on your computer to see how it works
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:25 PM   #3
jamied95
macrumors 6502

I wondered this, the Apple person told me to ask my ISP, but I took the view of, how do they know how big the file is, it's YOU as APPLE that should know what I need, so I know whether the Apple TV will work or not! To be honest I don't exactly think she knew what she was talking about, she said you couldn't rent from the Apple TV box, you had to buy/download all your programs from iTunes, and then stream them after the download! Which left me VERY confused!
jamied95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:35 PM   #4
Merthyrboy
macrumors 6502

probably best to try out other streaming sites for this. Youtube now does TV programs in the UK so you could maybe try watching one of those and see how it goes.
Merthyrboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:43 PM   #5
zepica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamied95 View Post
I wondered this, the Apple person told me to ask my ISP, but I took the view of, how do they know how big the file is, it's YOU as APPLE that should know what I need, so I know whether the Apple TV will work or not! To be honest I don't exactly think she knew what she was talking about, she said you couldn't rent from the Apple TV box, you had to buy/download all your programs from iTunes, and then stream them after the download! Which left me VERY confused!
This is for old version, new apple tv cant download, it must stream all content. I wonder if 5mbps will be enough.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 12:58 PM   #6
TheBritishBloke
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepica View Post
This is for old version, new apple tv cant download, it must stream all content. I wonder if 5mbps will be enough.
That'll be fine.. Apple's download speeds rock.
TheBritishBloke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2010, 03:19 PM   #7
jamied95
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepica View Post
Well I'm chugging along on 0.5Mbps.... can't imagine that'll work, and with my dongle, I get 2Mbps or sometimes slightly more... so I don't want to purchase to find it doesn't work!
jamied95 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:05 PM   #8
yoda13
macrumors 65816

I am thinking it wouldn't work well for me either as I am 1.0 mbps on the connection speed...our only option in this area...well, I guess I could get satellite, but it sucks for my friend that has it at his church...
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:24 PM   #9
goobot
macrumors 601

good?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:25 PM   #10
zepica
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post

good?
Very good
Old Sep 6, 2010, 02:25 PM   #11
stridemat

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobot View Post

good?
You will have no problems!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 05:30 PM   #12
iMJustAGuy
Banned

I assume it will be close to that of netflix and possibly even a little less strict. Netflix says that to view their shows in HD you need a 6mbps download speed and I think 1-2mbps for standard.

I'm at work and decided to test my speed... I can't believe our upload speed is faster than our download speed... weird?
Attached Images

Last edited by iMJustAGuy; Sep 6, 2010 at 05:35 PM.
iMJustAGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 06:07 PM   #13
suss2it
macrumors regular

Good enough to stream HD content?
suss2it is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 06:29 PM   #14
PurdueGuy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss2it View Post

Should be fine.

And for grins:
PurdueGuy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:12 PM   #15
emvath
macrumors regular

Oh yeah, well check THIS out b****es!

emvath is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 07:18 PM   #16
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Quote:

That ping is terrible... you'll probably experience lag with a ping that high. (Well, lag cause high ping not vice versa, but you may still experience glitchy video)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emvath View Post
Oh yeah, well check THIS out b****es!
NICE!
Old Sep 6, 2010, 09:46 PM   #17
liquidsuns
macrumors 6502

I don't know how well iTunes movies stream but my experience with Netflix has been great. I only have a 1.2 Mbps connection but I still get pretty good quality. Right now I stream over an xbox which has 4 bars that indicate video quality. I'd say 50% of the time it's on 3 bars, 40% of the time it's on 2 bars, around 5% on 1 bar, and then sometimes it actually shoots up to full HD. It's really funny when it happens because sometimes it'll go all the way from 1 bar to HD for a few minutes then back to something more expected. That's a massive difference in bandwidth, I don't know why it happens, but it really makes me wish I could get faster internet.

But if you have a slower connection like mine, I highly recommend you use ethernet instead of going wireless. It has made my netflix connection much more stable.
liquidsuns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:28 PM   #18
ColinM
macrumors member

Send a message via AIM to ColinM Send a message via MSN to ColinM Send a message via Yahoo to ColinM Send a message via Skype™ to ColinM
Just for fun.

Also, you should try http://www.pingtest.net/ . It can also give you a good indication how your line will behave during streaming.
Attached Images

ColinM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2010, 10:47 PM   #19
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsuns View Post
I don't know how well iTunes movies stream but my experience with Netflix has been great. I only have a 1.2 Mbps connection but I still get pretty good quality. Right now I stream over an xbox which has 4 bars that indicate video quality. I'd say 50% of the time it's on 3 bars, 40% of the time it's on 2 bars, around 5% on 1 bar, and then sometimes it actually shoots up to full HD. It's really funny when it happens because sometimes it'll go all the way from 1 bar to HD for a few minutes then back to something more expected. That's a massive difference in bandwidth, I don't know why it happens, but it really makes me wish I could get faster internet.

But if you have a slower connection like mine, I highly recommend you use ethernet instead of going wireless. It has made my netflix connection much more stable.
I think it may have something to do with netflix (at least some of the "problem") I get 13mbps at home and 70% of the time it runs in standard def 20% it runs in HD and the other 10% of the time it will start off in HD and change to SD about a minute into the show. It's weird, and somewhat annoying. I have 100% wi-fi signal. Also, this is via my PS3.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 11:10 PM   #20
theonekcrow
macrumors 6502

My speed is ok for the time being, I have seen speeds of 10 Mb/s though on my wifi before.

Old Sep 7, 2010, 12:46 AM   #21
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Okay. A few things I don't get. Both pics were taken right after eachother.

I pay for 13 MBPS download... typically I get around 8-9 on speedtest.net.

Now,

1) Why does using a server 500 miles away give me far greater results than one in my own city.
2) Why do sometimes, such as now, do I get very low speeds in comparison to what I "normally" get.
3) Why do I "normally" get 8mbps when I pay for 13?
Attached Images

Old Sep 7, 2010, 06:38 AM   #22
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't be surprised if rentals on the new ATV work the same as the current one, where rentals are temporarily downloaded to the device then deleted when they expire. The nice part about this setup is that you can watch movies as they download (if your downstream connection is ~6mbps or higher), or you can wait until it finishes downloading before you start watching. Even with something like 4GB of flash storage the new ATV could work this way.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 07:17 AM   #23
khva1380
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Should be fine.

And for grins:
And for bigger grins.... (UK to the USA)

and if those grins aren't big enough - (UK to UK)

Of course, I can't use these speeds for watching movies!
khva1380 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 09:59 PM   #24
suss2it
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMJustAGuy View Post
That ping is terrible... you'll probably experience lag with a ping that high. (Well, lag cause high ping not vice versa, but you may still experience glitchy video)
Here's what I got when I went to pingtest.net is that any good in conjunction with my Internet speed?:

suss2it is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:25 PM   #25
iMJustAGuy
Banned

Quote:
Here's what I got when I went to pingtest.net is that any good in conjunction with my Internet speed?:
Yes, that's good.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater