Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jay raymond55

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Is if possible with a u.k.itunes account to get books in Japanese for the ibook app. or is there another way to get Japanese books onto my ipad.
Have a good day

Satoneko

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Tokyo, Japan
Japanese books on iPad

The iBook Store does not have any Japanese book as of now. Apparently, there are issues between the Japanese publishers and Apple.

Better alternative is to use eBookJapan. They've got sizable selection of manga (largest in Japan) as well as literature. You download a free application called ebiReader from iTune Stores, then register and purchase books from the eBookJapan site (http://www.ebookjapan.jp). Works like the Kindle Store. A manga book is around 300-400 yen (but they come in series!).

If you want to read classic Japanese literature, you can try iBunkoHD (i文庫HD on iTune Store for 800 yen). This app allows you to access the Aozora Bunko, an online library for copyright-free Japanese literature including classics like Akutagawa Ryunosuke and Murasaki Shikibu. While you can access Aozora Bunko free from a browser, this app allows you to have features like page-turning and bookmarking.

Happy reading!

MichaelMcDonald

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
Vantaa, Finland
ebiReader HD!

Satoneko, thanks so much for your post! I can't believe how easy it was to download the ebiReader app and navigate through and successfully purchase a Leiji Matsumoto manga right away! This is exactly what I've been looking and hoping for! I especially love the samples you can download! The manga look beautiful on my iPad! I can't believe they aren't rushing to get this stuff on iBooks, but if this works, then why change - I guess that's their logic.

Anyway, thanks very much for the tip! Very much appreciated!

どうもありがとうございます!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.